Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

ATTENTION: CANADIANS, RE: DDD and UPS

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of you were (are) up in arms about getting an email stating that your order was shipped via UPS.

That means huge duty and brokerage.

I called UPS and gave them my tracking number - they told me that while it was a valid UPS tracking number, the parcel doesn't exist in their system.

I then called DDD Customer Service and explained that the tracking number represented a parcel that didn't exist.

After checking into it, the kind girl said that the shipping department doesn't ship UPS to Canada, only USPS.

What happened was that due to the high value of the shipment, the system (or someone manually) upgraded the shipping to UPS in their system. When it hit the shipping dept, they saw it was a Canadian parcel and shipped via USPS - then entered into the system that the items were shipped.

Because in the system it was set to UPS, my shipped email contained a UPS tracking number, when in fact the shipment was sent USPS.

So relax, it looks like things will be fine. I feel a lot better about this.

DDD may want to have a check in place to make sure that the emails state the proper shipping method, however - to make sure we don't have a situation like this again.

So, check your tracking numbers. If the UPS site can't find the package, chances are you are in the same boat as I.

Last edited by Damed; 06-14-06 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-14-06, 12:17 PM

thanks for the info, I hope this really is so!

Glad to see some at DDD CS was helpful enough to give a straight answer, whereas I got none.
Old 06-14-06, 12:17 PM

Looks good, It appears mine has shipped as well with a UPS tracking record but the number they gave isn't being found at ups.com either.
Old 06-14-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts
Good work, Damed! Hopefully this rings true for all of our orders.

I guess if it doesn't show up in the next few days, that'll pretty much mean it went via USPS.

Speaking of which, have any you ordered storage from DDD? It looks like the Oskar stuff ships from the factory, which, I believe, means UPS. I suppose it'll still come out cheaper, if there's no other option. At $93 for a 1080, it'll be another $19.45, but that's still a better price than I've seen in Canada.
Old 06-14-06, 03:48 PM

Thanks for posting the info Damed! I called CS to make my order a couple of days ago to make sure things were cool...

On a related note, do you know how much Canadians should be charged for standard shipping? My order was slightly over $100 before the 20% discount and they charged me $11.95 (the international rate). The CS agent I spoke to said that the $5.95 charge for Canadians they list on the site is old and does not apply anymore. Does anybody know if I was charged correctly?
Old 06-14-06, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by ReggieM
On a related note, do you know how much Canadians should be charged for standard shipping? My order was slightly over $100 before the 20% discount and they charged me $11.95 (the international rate). The CS agent I spoke to said that the $5.95 charge for Canadians they list on the site is old and does not apply anymore. Does anybody know if I was charged correctly?
Nope, you were charged incorectly. It should be $5.95 for CDN's. Phone up and ask for a refund.

Also on another note DDD Dave reply in the other thread stating all UPS to Canada is UPS Express so that means if they did ship it UPS, we should be fine. As Express does cover UPS' brokerage fees.

andicus, DDD won't ship furniture outside of the US.
Old 06-14-06, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Calmuser
Nope, you were charged incorectly. It should be $5.95 for CDN's. Phone up and ask for a refund.

Also on another note DDD Dave reply in the other thread stating all UPS to Canada is UPS Express so that means if they did ship it UPS, we should be fine. As Express does cover UPS' brokerage fees.

Really??? I read that and was expectiong to have to pay it.... I hope you're right! So I assume that we still have to pay Duty? If so how does that work?
Old 06-14-06, 04:32 PM

Yep, express covers brokerage. You can see here on UPS' website

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html

Well I have never had to pay customs, only taxes.
Old 06-14-06, 04:38 PM

How'd you pay the taxes? DDD doesn't charge any.
Old 06-14-06, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by DoubleDownAgain
How'd you pay the taxes? DDD doesn't charge any.
UPS will ask to pay before they will give you the package.

They might give you the pkg and send an invoice later also, I know Purlator and Fedex does this. But i've never seen UPS do this yet, but they might.
Old 06-14-06, 05:24 PM

UPS will ask to pay before they will give you the package.

They might give you the pkg and send an invoice later also, I know Purlator and Fedex does this. But i've never seen UPS do this yet, but they might.
Thanks! How long does UPS Express take out of curiosity?
Old 06-14-06, 07:04 PM

Thanks Calmuser, I'll give them a call!
Old 06-14-06, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by DoubleDownAgain
Thanks! How long does UPS Express take out of curiosity?
Don't know for sure, but according to DDD's shipping email 3 - 5 business days. So we'll see if they get here in that time, if not I guess it went USPS like Damed said.
Old 06-14-06, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks!

My current storage consists of 1 lockable cabinet, with cardboard bankers boxes stacked on top of it. The rest are stacked all over the place. I've also got boxes full of CD's. My stuff needs a permanent and solid home!
Old 06-14-06, 10:51 PM

I just got my first of 2 orders which I placed around the same time from UPS Ground so I had to pay $63.47 ($39 were brokerage fees) on an order of about $130 US, oh well my order was still cheaper than anywhere else up here, though about $30 more than it should have been.

I got a shipping notification email with a UPS tracking # for my other order about the same time as the first order but the # isn't active yet so hopefully it's been sent USPS because that order is over $200.
Old 06-14-06, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Fade to Black
I just got my first of 2 orders which I placed around the same time from UPS Ground so I had to pay $63.47 ($39 were brokerage fees) on an order of about $130 US, oh well my order was still cheaper than anywhere else up here, though about $30 more than it should have been.

I got a shipping notification email with a UPS tracking # for my other order about the same time as the first order but the # isn't active yet so hopefully it's been sent USPS because that order is over $200.

Ick UPS Ground?!! is DDD Dave lieing to us?
Old 06-22-06, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ick UPS Ground?!! is DDD Dave lieing to us?
He must be misinformed, or someone somewhere along the line made a mistake

My 1st order, which was said to have shipped UPS - Did in fact ship USPS, like the CS rep told me. I received it yesterday.

My second order, a value of $99, was apparently shipped UPS as well.

I didn't worry about it. Until today. I got a call from UPS saying they have a package for me, and brokerage is $58.

That's 50% more than the order cost!!

I'm calling DDD now.

Last edited by Damed; 06-22-06 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-22-06, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Called CS.

I have to refuse the shipment. Once that's done, it'll be in UPS' system under the tracking number as "refused"

Once they see that it's been refused, they will reship the order ( a new package) USPS.

Last edited by Damed; 06-22-06 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-22-06, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just wanted to point out that I doubt DDD Dave is lying. Considering how helpful he's been here, I would think it much more likely that he was mistaken, rather than being deliberately deceptive.

As I indicated in the other thread, my first package arrived via USPS-Canada Post yesterday.

My other 2 orders both provide USPS tracking numbers, so it looks good for those as well.
Old 06-23-06, 12:03 AM

Well, my shipment was shipped UPS Express. There were 4 items backordered and three of have shipped but I haven't seent them yet. I hoep they were shipped USPS-Canada Post because if not I will have to refuse them.
Old 06-23-06, 11:12 AM

Well so far both of my orders that were said to have shipped UPS, have been shipped USPS. Both had a UPS GROUND label underneath! so glad to see they were shipping out using USPS instead of UPS Ground.

Still waiting on another one that was also said to of shipped out UPS.