Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Insane new release dvd prices at local Walmart

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-06, 07:58 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at my local Walmart in MA (there are at least 5 within 40 mile radius) and they had the new release dvds of Firewall and Underworld Evolution priced at a insane $12.99 per dvd. I am a big shopper both in person and online and I have never seen new release dvd's priced this cheap, anyone else finding prices this cheap in your area? The other Walmarts in the area were priced $14.99 for the same disks. And NO, there is not much competition for this Walmart (in a mall and the only other store with dvd's is FYE and they suck).
IMO at 12.99 Walmart is NOT making any money on these dvds are they?
Old 06-08-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Billyspunk
IMO at 12.99 Walmart is NOT making any money on these dvds are they?
Probably not on those DVDs but they are with hopefully all of the other things people are going to buy when they see the prices that low one week and will hopefully come back the next to do all of their shopping at the store.

There was also an article in the Video mags that many chains are going to stop holding to the MAP standards that studios require in order to receive ad support for their movies. The studios are paying less with Buena Vista I think dropping from like 8% to 2% this year or some ridiculous amount like that. If that is the case you should start to see ads actually advertising for $13.99 and such as has been the case with CircuitCity recently. They also mentioned the "trick" of putting a DVD release next to the lower priced movie and saying "Low Price" as well.