Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Overstock.com Horror Stories!

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 05-21-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured i'd start a thread to collect all of the wonderful experiences people have had with Overstock.com. My latest abortion of an order is now 3 weeks late. I ordered 10 dvds and they are in USPS Media Mail Limbo. I called up to see if they can send a replacement order, and found out that I need to wait TWO WEEKS! for them to a 'trace'. Only then can they place a new order, which would take TWO WEEKS to get. So it is going on 2 MONTHS to get some dvds.

Can they ship any quicker? Nope. I'd need to place a new order.

Does this happen often? Yes. According to the CS person.

No wonder their consumer rating is crap. I'd never use them for regular purchases, but they are dumping some titles i've been looking for.

So what is your Overstock.com horror story?

-p
Old 05-21-06, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
You get what you pay for?
Old 05-21-06, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ben12
You get what you pay for?

hopefully.
it seems, ben, that peddy is pissed because he may get what he pays for after two months of waiting.
Old 05-21-06, 04:25 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Sounds like your problem should be with USPS.
Old 05-21-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
Sounds like your problem should be with USPS.
Overstock.com continues to use them, so they are at least partly to blame. I am more pissed off about their "policies". The fact that a package trace takes 2 weeks (10 biz days), and that they can't do ANYTHING until a minimum of 25 business days pass. (10 + original 15 biz days). THEN it takes another 10 biz days to get a new package. So do get the items that is 35 business days.

-p
Old 05-21-06, 06:38 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
The policy problem is with USPS, they won't even start looking for anything unless it has been 25 days. Media Mail sucks most of the time unless it is from Amazon, then for some reason I get it in 3 days. But DDD, DVD Planet, or any of the other places that use Media Mail, it takes 3 weeks or more for it to show up on my door. But since I am not paying for shipping, I can't complain. These places are not going to switch to Fed Ex or UPS for shipping lighter weight items because they cost a lot more than the Post Office for small items. Plus with the crazy gas prices, those 2 shippers are hitting the mailers with fuel surcharges on top of the normal costs.
Old 05-21-06, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a 2 disc dvd from DDD a couple of years ago. It took 20+ days to get to me. Disc 2 had a manfacturing defect and would not play on anything. I called them up and they said they had to send me a label to return it and they would not send out another until they received it back from me. The label arrived about 2-3 weeks later. About a month later I receive an email saying they received it back and they will place a new order for it but it is on backorder. Close to a month later it ships and takes another 20+ days to get to me. DDD also sent me a VHS tape of a Dvd title I ordered once and that took some time to straighten out. And once I palced a pre-order for limited edition title and inside the package was the wrong dvd title and took along time to get to me. When I called they said the title was OOP and there was nothing they could do but send me a label and give me a refund when they got the wrong one back.

Oh,this is about overstock. I pre-ordered a Dvd set once (even though they charge in adavance, lowest price and a coupon) 2 months in advance. It finally shipped a week or so after the release date. While other people had order it from overstock a week before the release date and received it before the release date.
Old 05-21-06, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to disappoint ..... I've placed about a dozen orders with Overstock in the past three years, and no horror stories to report.
Old 05-21-06, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I just placed my first two orders on Overstock last week. So far, so good. According to their tracking, they are currently in the next state over so I'm thinking that's a good start.
Old 05-21-06, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by pedagogue
So what is your Overstock.com horror story?
I haven't ordered from them recently, but in the past I've gotten rather good results.
Old 05-21-06, 11:18 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Ive had mixed results with overstock. I had several dvd's in different orders broken because they use inappropriate packaging. Ive had packages go missing and i have have refunds promised that I had to go to my credit card company for. Overstock in my experience has been far worse than ddd. I much prefer to work with DDD. Overstock is the most inept company that Ive worked with but sometimes the bargains are worth it. Overstock also keeps one on hold forever to talk on the phone which the ddd doesnt. I always make sure to only order with my american express card because they are the best at getting refunds after filling out complaint forms on the net.

Last edited by g; 05-21-06 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-21-06, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've ordered from them sporadically over a few years, including one Valentine's Day gift for my wife which had to get here on time. I've never had a problem.
Old 05-22-06, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I've only used Overstock a couple of times, and had no trouble.
Old 05-22-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I only order from them when I find a deal and don't care about when it gets here. DDD has always been great for me, but I know they are a mixed bag. If you understand it will take a long time to get your order if you order during the 20% off sale....then you should be fine.

-p
Old 05-22-06, 10:28 PM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Since it was only $7, I don't know if this qualifies as "horror", but I ordered 4 used dvds which were shipped in a paper envelope. Not a padded paper envelope, but a plain ordinary 11" envelope. I received the envelope 28 days after the order. It was stamped "damaged" and "Arrived without contents" by the post office. In fact it contained an overstock flyer but the top was ripped open. I used their "live chat" customer service which was a bit challenging explaining to the person on the other end. Eventually they gave me a credit. I wasn't too broken up about it - I just wanted to see the movies and it was cheaper than renting (I got free shipping because I ordered something else). Other stuff I've ordered has arrived in perfect condition in a reasonably short time. I think it's just those used dvds that they don't package appropriately.
Old 05-24-06, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Right now, they haven't shipped my Kingdom of Heaven 4-disc, which was released yesterday. Some have even got theirs already and had it shipped Friday.
Old 05-24-06, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I received my first order from them today. No problems to speak of. Took a bit less than a week to get to me.
Old 05-25-06, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey people, this is a thread about horror stories, not about how you haven't had any problems with them.

I ordered the Calvin and Hobbes box set from them. They shipped me a damaged set (obviously presentation was important to me or I wouldn't have paid that much for them) which took over a month to get here and was from the Overstock Returns Center. I wanted to exchange it, but they didn't currently have it. They also wanted me to pay return shipping and hold on to my money until they (maybe) got more in stock. I ended up keeping it, but I won't order from them again.
Old 05-25-06, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by beavismom
Hey people, this is a thread about horror stories, not about how you haven't had any problems with them.

I ordered the Calvin and Hobbes box set from them. They shipped me a damaged set (obviously presentation was important to me or I wouldn't have paid that much for them) which took over a month to get here and was from the Overstock Returns Center. I wanted to exchange it, but they didn't currently have it. They also wanted me to pay return shipping and hold on to my money until they (maybe) got more in stock. I ended up keeping it, but I won't order from them again.
And I got the Calvin & Hobbs set from them undamaged and in a timely manner.

Oops, sorry, only bad things allowed in this thread.
Old 05-25-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ordered Fullmetal Alchemist 2nd Boxset from Overstock.com on 05-19. I received it today, 05-25. Well, I recieved the invoice and a Boston Redsox 2004 World Series Collector's Editon Boxset, worth about 4 times as much as I paid for the original item. That is not really what I wanted. So, I, being the honest person I am, called up and told them of their mistake, and asked to have the Fullmetal item shipped out again. Well, first they made sure that they got my e-mail right so that they could e-mail me a pre-paid shipping label. Then they informed me that the item in question was out of stock, and that they will ship it out as soon as possible. Then, for the next 15 minutes, I explained what 'limited edition' meant and that they will not be getting it back in, since it is OOP. I still couldn't get this fact across, so I told them that they should give me a refund, plus what ever the difference is to get the item I want from another site. Well, as you can guess, this didn't go over well. They insisted that they were going to be getting more in. So I told them that when the ship me the item I wanted, I will ship theirs back. After this, I get to talk to a supervisor, yey! They say the same thing, plus offering me a $20.00 credit. Once again, I explained the 'limited' part, and how their $20.00 will do me no good getting the item I want. I will save you the remaining 1/2 hour of conversation, because it was just me and the supervisor running in circles. Finally, I told them that I will sell the the boxset and buy what I want. After that, I hung up.
Old 05-25-06, 08:42 PM

I dont see how that is fair to overstock.com. Why not just start a thread and bash them rather than ask peoples opinion. You cant have your cake and eat it to.