Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

your experience sending used DVDs to Digital Eyes - DVD Planet for credit

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 04-29-06, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just wondering how many people use this service.

Do you have to ship the stuff a certain way?

Has anyone had any problems?

They do seem to give pretty good quotes for certain titles.. especially boxsets

Please post your experience here. I thank you in advance!

-james
Old 04-29-06, 10:29 PM

I would also like to know some more about sending stuff into them. Do they give you a shipping credit? And what condition should everything be? Does it have to be absolutely flawless?
Old 04-30-06, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just sent about 100 in for the first time last week.. They're still in transit, so I don't know the final outcome as of yet. I just packed them tight in a box with some shredded paper to keep things from rustling around too much.

The email they send you to print out and include with the package states that:

"WE RESERVE THE RIGHT OF REFUSAL ON ANY USED DVD.

WE WILL NOT ACCEPT DVDS WITH FINGERPRINTS, SMUDGES OR SCRATCHES. DISCS
THAT HAVE ANY OF THESE QUALITIES WILL BE IMMEDIATELY RETURNED TO YOU."

This makes perfect sense, as who would want to order a dvd online (even knowing it's used), and have it come scratched or otherwise unplayable.

Hopefully my order will be well-received, and I'll get most of the credit they offered, and can stock up on Criterions and catalogue titles.
Old 04-30-06, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Shagrath
I just sent about 100 in for the first time last week.. They're still in transit, so I don't know the final outcome as of yet.

please follow up on this after the deal goes down. thanks
Old 05-01-06, 11:30 AM

I have traded in disks with them four times. They have never refused one (though I only send back stuff in good shape). I send stuff media mail with confirmation and have never had a problem.

FWIW, I ordered 4 used box sets with the credit last and all of them were sealed. I have to think someone got them from CH and traded them in for more credit than they paid.
Old 05-01-06, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've used them twice. They're a little slow in applying the credit to your account, but it appears eventually. Also agree: make sure you use some sort of tracking on your shipment.

I plan on using it a third time pretty soon.
Old 05-01-06, 03:20 PM

so if they decline it they at least send it back to you? I have a few discs with like one tiny light scratch that I want to trade in but I'm afraid they will decline it.
Old 05-01-06, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by takingchase
so if they decline it they at least send it back to you? I have a few discs with like one tiny light scratch that I want to trade in but I'm afraid they will decline it.
I've sent in several trade-in orders and only once were several items rejected but they were sent back to me by priority mail.
Old 05-02-06, 12:45 PM

I've used Digital Eyes (now DVD Planet) several times and never had a problem.

I ship them via Media Mail and within 2 weeks I receive email that they received the items and how much credit I now have in my account. Upon the next order placed with them, the credit is automatically applied.

They may not have the best trade-in price, but they do give a reasonable price for each DVD (usually $5-$9).

Try and get that with Blockbuster these days!
Old 05-05-06, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've sent stuff to them a number of times. I had one shipment go missing, but I suspect someone involved in the postal system near them knows what's going to be inside a box going to "Digital Eyes Quote #xxxx". I sent my next one with delivery confirmation and didn't have a problem. It's worth the few extra cents as a deterrant to anyone who's tempted to take the package.

I've never had any discs rejected.

To the person who asked about a shipping credit, no, the shipping is on you. Media mail is really cheap as long as you're sending more than a couple at a time.
Old 05-05-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Colleen
To the person who asked about a shipping credit, no, the shipping is on you. Media mail is really cheap as long as you're sending more than a couple at a time.
I sent in a box of about 100 a couple weeks ago, and the shipping was under $10 bucks, so media mail is definately the way to go.

They received the package sometime last week, but the credit hasn't been applied yet. No rush, as I'm sure they've got to inspect all the discs, and I'm probably somewhere in line since they're more than likely backed up.
Old 05-24-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Update:

I checked my account over there today, and the credit has finally been posted (about $610). It took about a month (would probably be less for smaller orders). I don't have the original quote anymore due to my computer needing to be formatted earlier this month, so I don't know if everything was accepted. I seem to remember the credit quote being closer to $700, but I think they accepted pretty much everything. From what the original quote said, they should ship back the unaccepted items to me at no charge.

I was very pleased with the prices quoted, and it looks like most everything went through, so that's good. The only thing I could complain about is that no email was ever sent saying that the quote was received, or even that things were accepted. I don't shop with dvdplanet often, so I've only been logging in every few days to see if there's an update.
Old 05-24-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shagrath
Update:

I checked my account over there today, and the credit has finally been posted (about $610). It took about a month (would probably be less for smaller orders). I don't have the original quote anymore due to my computer needing to be formatted earlier this month, so I don't know if everything was accepted. I seem to remember the credit quote being closer to $700, but I think they accepted pretty much everything. From what the original quote said, they should ship back the unaccepted items to me at no charge.

I was very pleased with the prices quoted, and it looks like most everything went through, so that's good. The only thing I could complain about is that no email was ever sent saying that the quote was received, or even that things were accepted. I don't shop with dvdplanet often, so I've only been logging in every few days to see if there's an update.

I've always received an email saying that my quote has been processed, with a full list of each item sent with "Accepted" next to each. I haven't had any declined yet, but I'm sure it would indicate it as such. Perhaps you just discovered the credit on your account before they've gotten around to generating the email. It's certainly better that they do it in that order; you wouldn't want to get the email, then find no credit on your account at the site.
Old 05-29-06, 09:10 AM

I use them all the time, with great success. I usually blind buy from ddd's 20% sale or other various sales and then trade them in if I don't want to keep them. Movies usually end up costing about the same as a rental would've.

When they receive and process your order, you get a detailed email back stating each disc that was accepted or rejected and how much you got. If they reject any, they send them back to you at their expense. I've had a few rejected; they're actually pretty strict about what they accept, which I'm glad about because it makes me feel confident about buying used from them.

The discs you buy from your account money count toward frequent buyer points.

However, since the merger with dvdplanet, I haven't received notification about a package I sent in about 3 weeks ago. I suppose some delays are expected.
Old 05-29-06, 11:57 AM

I can't find anything on their website about selling...well aside from the quote machine. I remember there being a few questions on the FAQ dedicated to it.

I really wish these guys didn't merge.
Old 06-02-06, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the redirect Sharath...

I've used QuoteMachine quite a few times PRIOR to the merge without any problems.

But, my I've recently punched up a quote and sent them out, took a while for the reply, but most disappointed was that I found out that 90% of my dvds were refused. Most if not all my used dvds are in *mint* condition when sent to Digitaleyes/DVDplanet. I've done many QuoteMachine transactions prior to the merger and have had zero problems. I also have 800+ 100% feedbacks on eBay. Prior discs have been in worse conditions and we're problably talking about "up-to-the-face" hairline scratches to none. Used discs... will be used discs... and cannot be evaluated as new. Not sure if their standards changed since the merger? Or are they using a more stringent selection process? (since both companies probably have more used discs than desired)
Old 06-04-06, 09:48 AM

tmy727, I have had the same experience althought to a lesser degree. I had been selling used DVDs to Digital Eyes for a year or so. Hundreds of DVDs and never had one rejected (I send them only discs I would call Like New). However, my last three quotes (all post-merger) have each had a couple of DVDs rejected. Since the quality of the DVDs I have sent to them hasn't changed, I can only assume their standards have.
Old 06-04-06, 01:48 PM

I have some still in shrinkwrap that I want to return. Surely they won't refuse those?

I ordered a used DVD from Digitaleyes once and it was in pristine condition. I was impressed.
Old 06-14-06, 07:29 PM

Yes, they are even refusing factory shrinkwrapped! It seems to me they are just not honoring the quotes anymore. They apparently decide a DVD isn't worth what they listed in the Quote machine and they return it.

Any other reliable places to sell used DVDs?
Old 06-15-06, 08:49 AM

I am not aware of our standards changing. The only new copies that might be refused are punched (not for resale/promo review copies). If you have a specific case, please e-mail me.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 06-16-06, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I recently shipped them a large package and was credited for everything I sent in... I'd recommend them - just carefully inspect your DVDs prior to sending...
Old 06-20-06, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I, personally, haven't had any negative experiences "selling" discs to them.

With DE, I always received my credit within a week after they received the shipment. I recently sent a shipment to the newly created merge and did not receive a credit until I e-mailed them asking for a response to the "delay" (which was around three weeks after they recieved shipment). I actually felt somewhat 'bad' for doing that because I know they now probably receive at least twice the number of quotes since the merge with DVDPlanet, but I wanted to be sure if something went wrong with my quote.

With that though, I received a response in two days with the total amount credited to my account.

A+ in my book. They give great price quotes and I usually buy two, three, four used discs in the process of using my credit. So everyone seems to win in the long run.

Last edited by conscience; 06-20-06 at 12:08 AM.
Old 06-20-06, 10:36 AM

Is it normal for it to take a week to three weeks after your order is received for you to get your credit?

I am considering sending them a number of used DVDs, since they appear to be offering more than Wherehouse.com, but if they are arbitrarily refusing DVDs and taking an eternity to apply credit, maybe it isn't worth it.
Old 06-27-06, 09:45 PM

if i sell them discs, do i get cash or just store credit?
Old 06-28-06, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
Is it normal for it to take a week to three weeks after your order is received for you to get your credit?
If you had taken the time to read the thread, you would've read about my experience. I sent in over 100 discs and it took about a month to receive the credit. They ended up rejecting about 8-10 of them and applied the credit for the others to my account.

I didn't really mind the wait and wouldn't go elsewhere because I'm using the credit to mainly buy Criterions. Their low prices doubled with their monthly coupons makes for prices on Criterions cheaper than DDD's 20% off prices.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.