Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DDD going downhill?

Old 04-25-06, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by [email protected]
In reading this thread, I just wanted to voice a couple points of clarification for those of you that shop with DDD; we ship with the USPS twice each day but have no control over the goods once they get into the mail stream. 95% of orders on instock items are filled complete within two business days, with most going out within one business day.
Secondly, in order to keep our prices low we have highly automated shipping methods that are only used by extremely large shippers and we believe that the processes sometimes occasionally confuse handlers at certain postal centers, resulting in longer delivery times. We are surveying customer delivery times and enhancing or changing our ship processes in areas that seem to have recurring delays. Since we bear the expense of lost packages, unlike some of our competitors, we usually request that the customer wait an additional five business days before we issue a replacement. This helps keep our prices low and enables us to continue to ship free all the time.
Lastly, we donít charge until we ship. If we are out of something for an extended period, it is generally because the studio is out of it and cannot fill our orders until they manufacture more stockósometimes they also miss promise dates to us, which makes us miss the dates that we give to our customers.
This seems very reasonable. I've ordered from DDD many times and never been less than 100% satisfied with the service I receive, even though my orders sometimes take longer than they might if I hadn't opted for Free Delivery. The prices are worth the wait, and I've never found a better selection than what DDD offers. Whoever the DDD employee is who posts here, Thank You for taking the time and effort to present your side of this debate...many others wouldn't have bothered.
Old 04-30-06, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't mind the long wait, since I know I'm purchasing the items for the cheapest price around. I can wait an extra week if I'm saving a large chunk of change. Their prices on new releases aren't that hot, but I am only interested in older, catalog titles that would not be on sale elsewhere, so that is not an issue either. My main problem with DDD is the condition of the DVDs when they arrive. I'd say about 50% of them arrive damaged -usually cracked cases. This is especially true with snappers, which almost always arrive with the DVD floating around inside. Since I cannot simply replace the case, I find this MOST annoying. The only time I have ever pre-ordered an item, it was a total disaster. I pre-ordered a copy of Wonder Showzen Season 1 one week before the release date, and it shipped out a week AFTER the release date. Since it took two weeks to arrive, I received the item an entire month after ordering it.

Last edited by NoirFan; 04-30-06 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-01-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My last DDD experience involved buying 2 dvds, both were listed as "in-stock" when I put them in my cart. After placing my order, one of them become no longer in stock. That annoyed me a bit. But what really annoyed me was contacting them to cancel the one that was no longer in stock (I was going to give it as a gift, and couldn't wait an undetermined amount of time to get it), and was told that since the order was in the system already, that item could not be cancelled, even though they didn't expect it to be back in stock for several weeks.

They did eventually cancel that dvd for me, but I shouldn't have had to go through several emails with them to cancel a dvd that was not in-stock, especially when it was listed as being in-stock at the time I placed the order.

The general customer service hassles, stock info I can't trust anymore, along with the fairly slow shipping speed and frequency of damaged packages (this not really DDD's fault, I realize) have made me shop elsewhere, even if it costs a bit more.
Old 05-02-06, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Lastly, we donít charge until we ship.
Sorry, but that's a point-blank lie. I had an item that I ended up never receiving that I was charged for, and didn't ship until three days after I was charged for it.
Old 05-02-06, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by abrg923
Sorry, but that's a point-blank lie. I had an item that I ended up never receiving that I was charged for, and didn't ship until three days after I was charged for it.
I've had this happen too .. It does happen, mostly with the 20% off sales..The system says the item is in stock, but when they pack your order, it's not in stock anymore.. Usually they credit you for it and place a new order which will then be charged when it ships, but sometimes they just create a new order.. Usually your invoice gets stamped saying "ITEM OUT OF STOCK" ..

Out of the over hundred times i've ordered from DDD, that's never happened to me..

But your circumstance may have been different or something had happened..
Old 05-08-06, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe they charge it when they "pick" it from the shelf. If DDD's working days are M-F, and you order Friday night, it's conceivable they could charge you, pick it that night, stick it in a box, then put it in the 'outgoing mail' pallet. If they're closed on Sat, they may not get the USPS picking up, so your package might not go out until Monday. And the 'shipped' emails aren't 100% reliable.
Or, as is likely during the 20% sale, the charge-but-out-of-stock thing could happen like Pilot says.

I've had to rely on the 'wait a couple more days' thing. Certainly there is a cutoff date, but in almost every case where I've either ordered or shipped something, it arrived 'a couple days later'.

The thing that gets me about DDD is their prices. I know the DVD market and pricing varies, but usually, regular prices go *down* [except for after release-week discounts]. It's happened more than once that something I looked on Wednesday, but didn't buy, went up 1-4 bucks by Friday. I saw something last week that was 27.00, didn't buy it. It's 29.14 now. AFAIK, it wasn't on sale the first time I looked. And this certainly happened on a couple titles before/during last year's 20% sale.

Anyway, the one time I emailed CS, I never got an answer [it was after the 20% sale so they were probably very busy], but I waited a few days, called, and got the issue resolved with a replacement in about five days.

And I second Dr. Calamari, DDD gets megapoints for listening to consumers and responding here, that is above-and-beyond.
Old 05-08-06, 12:59 PM
Banned

Talk about a bunch of BS, lying right through their teeth! How about the WWE Wrestlemania Anthology box set that you NEVER delivered to many people?? Oh yeah I forgot, you pre-sold more than your ass could handle! Plus you under-priced it below cost but that was not your fault....Yeah right, DDD SUCKS in my book....
Old 05-09-06, 02:04 PM

I used to think that DDD had great service, and I still think they have good service, but it has tailed off a bit over the years. Case in point- I received an order recently with a floater that was the result of a broken hub in the dvd case. The disc had some scratches on it as a result, and I thought about returning it, but the disc was playable, so to try and save everyone some time and money I e-mailed customer service, explained what had happened and asked if, rather than packaging everything up and returning it, they would simply send me a replacement DVD case. They indicated that they would, or so I thought. A while later I received a cd jewel case in the mail. This was utterly useless to me and certainly does not provide me what I ordered. Live and learn I suppose. I should have simply returned the item. I have to admit, given my past experiences, I was surprised that they wouldn't send a replacement case.
Old 05-09-06, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The mail system is strange as orders I placed on 4/27 and 5/3 came at the same time, lol. Personally, I haven't been dissatisfied with their service thus far...
Old 05-29-06, 03:40 AM

I have spent over $7k at DDD over the last 3 years. The last sale was the worst in terms of delivery times, customer service issues, items that were ultimately cancelled by DDD as not being available (yet being widely sold by others), website quirks, receiving what I believe was unsold returns from other retailers (and perhaps resold to DDD by the distributor with or without their full knowledge and then resold by DDD as factory fresh), etc and of course the famous $2.50 check solicitation....

I am giving them one last chance. Today I ordered one little $5.98 dvd. We will see how this goes.... If everything goes smoothly with this order I will consider buying from them during the 20% off sale in June (if they have one).

If they can't get this little order right, I will never order from them again (I believe they have business model issues which they cannot or will not correct that ultimately impacts their customer retention levels.)

As for now, when people come over to the house and see all the dvds, they always ask "where do you buy them?" and I say anywhere but DDD! Based on my shopping experience over the last 3 years at DDD, the shopping experience has gone from excellent to right down the toilet!
Old 06-06-06, 11:28 AM

Did you receive your item within the 7-10 days shipping method as listed on their website?
Old 06-08-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just ordered some titles from the $5.98 list, and they arrived as normal.
Old 06-20-06, 07:53 AM

Things are definitely going downhill there, at least from my perspective. I'd say easily about a third of my most recent orders have either arrive well after the 5-10 business days quoted for their free shipping, or, worse, never arrive at all. In fact, if my two DVDs from my last outstanding order do not arrive today that will make 15 business days since they've been shipped. Of course, I will have to call DDD customer service again, and I can only hope since I've had so much trouble lately they'll be nice and upgrade my shipping like they did when I had a defective disc and its replacement never arrived!

While one could make the arguement that this is the USPS fault, it directly affects my perception of DVD though. If I were DDD, I would be raising hell with the USPS. Perhaps DDD needs to change their date-range for arrivals. I don't know, what I do know is that their free-shipping is becoming less and less of an incentive for me to buy from them.
Old 06-20-06, 08:09 AM
Banned

I have noticed their biggest scam yet..You shop around on the site, put some dvds in your shopping cart. I always check to see if the dvd is in stock. I only keep in stock ones in my cart, I purchase the dvds and then I get a confirmation email. But one problem...I always get at least one of the items that were suppose to be in stock NOT in stock, not that is not acceptable. When you order and their website says IN STOCK it should damn well be in stock...That's it for me I am DONE with DDD, I rather pay more with less hassle....
Old 06-20-06, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Billyspunk
I have noticed their biggest scam yet..You shop around on the site, put some dvds in your shopping cart. I always check to see if the dvd is in stock. I only keep in stock ones in my cart, I purchase the dvds and then I get a confirmation email. But one problem...I always get at least one of the items that were suppose to be in stock NOT in stock, not that is not acceptable. When you order and their website says IN STOCK it should damn well be in stock...That's it for me I am DONE with DDD, I rather pay more with less hassle....
, I'd hardly qualify that as a scam
Old 06-20-06, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sad to see people having problems with DDD. I've always been one of the 'it's fine it takes awhile to ship' people, but contrary to most here, I've noticed DDD as a whole greatly progressing in all areas of their service. I always get an e-mailed response back within a day, the shipping is much faster, and still great prices.

I understand people's frustrations and when things go wrong and taking their business elsewhere, believe me (I'm as anti-Comcast as you can get with the "service" we've received from them). But just going by my own experiences with them, DDD has only gotten better.
Old 06-20-06, 09:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by reverie
Sad to see people having problems with DDD. I've always been one of the 'it's fine it takes awhile to ship' people, but contrary to most here, I've noticed DDD as a whole greatly progressing in all areas of their service. I always get an e-mailed response back within a day, the shipping is much faster, and still great prices.

I understand people's frustrations and when things go wrong and taking their business elsewhere, believe me (I'm as anti-Comcast as you can get with the "service" we've received from them). But just going by my own experiences with them, DDD has only gotten better.
Then keep giving them your money and we will go elsewhere...I do not need the hassle from them. I will NEVER forgive them for the Wrestlemania Anthology fiasco...NEVER
Old 06-20-06, 10:32 AM

I always get an e-mailed response back within a day...
Funny that you should mention that, the last e-mail I sent them was never returned, so I only call them now. Maybe they hate me.
Old 06-20-06, 01:21 PM

Then keep giving them your money and we will go elsewhere...I do not need the hassle from them. I will NEVER forgive them for the Wrestlemania Anthology fiasco...NEVER
I'm confused.... I saw this at the DVDSpot forum in the "DDD 20% sale has started 6/8/2006" thread:

I really want to see if they still have the SE Planet Of The Apes Set with the Ape Bust, they have a great price plus with the 20% it will be under $100, that set is loaded!
It sure sounds like you were at least considering buying from them, unless it just happens to be a user with the same username as yourself.
Old 06-20-06, 01:38 PM

I agree w/ their email going downhill big time. I emailed them about a problem with an order and didn't receive a response for 9 days. When I got the response it was one of those prewritten B.S. thank you for your comments your order will ship soon or whatever. So I ended up calling and taking care of the matter. They're still top notch over the phone, at least in my limited experiences.

Then today, on a separate order, I got an email from DDD letting me know that one of my DVDs was "cancelled per my request." Of course, I never requested them to do anything of the sort with my order. Oh well, guess I'll have to make another call.

I've heard others here have problems with DDDs shipping. For me, in SoCal, haven't had big problems with media mail yet, but it is taking a little longer this year than in past years (who knows if that is DDD or USPS).
Old 06-20-06, 02:32 PM

Judging by how many DVD's bought by people who post on this site alone, I am sure they won't be going bankrupt anytime soon.
Old 06-20-06, 03:02 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DeepSleep
I have spent over $7k at DDD over the last 3 years. The last sale was the worst in terms of delivery times, customer service issues, items that were ultimately cancelled by DDD as not being available (yet being widely sold by others), website quirks, receiving what I believe was unsold returns from other retailers (and perhaps resold to DDD by the distributor with or without their full knowledge and then resold by DDD as factory fresh), etc and of course the famous $2.50 check solicitation....

I am giving them one last chance. Today I ordered one little $5.98 dvd. We will see how this goes.... If everything goes smoothly with this order I will consider buying from them during the 20% off sale in June (if they have one).

If they can't get this little order right, I will never order from them again (I believe they have business model issues which they cannot or will not correct that ultimately impacts their customer retention levels.)

As for now, when people come over to the house and see all the dvds, they always ask "where do you buy them?" and I say anywhere but DDD! Based on my shopping experience over the last 3 years at DDD, the shopping experience has gone from excellent to right down the toilet!
I believe you are right about unsold returns from other vendors because I have received DVDs from DDD with Walmart stickers on them ! ROFL
Old 06-20-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DoubleDownAgain
I'm confused.... I saw this at the DVDSpot forum in the "DDD 20% sale has started 6/8/2006" thread:

It sure sounds like you were at least considering buying from them, unless it just happens to be a user with the same username as yourself.
Old 06-20-06, 09:04 PM

Today I had a happy CSR moment.

I called(I would never email, get a person on the phone and get them to fix the problem.) and told the CSR I had two orders with problems.

1st order; I had a floater, which i always check and make sure it's okay. It wasn't. The CSR took the info and in moments I had an email with the Free return label. (of course they don't ship the replacement until this bad disk is received, but that's okay)

2nd order; 2 DVD sets were missing from my boxes(yes boxes, had 3boxes from the 20% off sale last week), the CSR took the info and bam! another 2email with the 2 DVD sets ordered for ZeroCost. (this has also happened in the past with the 20% sale and big orders, I guess ppl get confused with $2k orders(i save up for the 20% sale to get the box sets and asian horror films released since the last sale))

for me, a happy CSR day with DDD
Old 06-20-06, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fitlissa76
I believe you are right about unsold returns from other vendors because I have received DVDs from DDD with Walmart stickers on them ! ROFL
that's because a store like walmart will have X many copies on their shelves (with their stickers) for X amount of months, and if they don't sell, they give them back to the distributors, who in turn sell it to other retailers..so DDD will get stuff probably from any number of stores who can't sell their stock..I think that is why sometimes you would get a DVD that is in absolutely new condition, with a different kind of plastic wrapping around it.. It's either been torn open, or resealed so it doesn't have somebody else's stickers on it .. I got one like that today from DDD.. disc was absolutely fine (no fingerprints, nothing) and the security stickers on the three sides were perfectly intact, just the case was rewraped..

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.