Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DDD can go to heck!!!!! (Re: Friends)

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 01-09-06, 01:57 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered the complete series of Friends the day it was released (NAY... MINUTE) from DDD during the sale. When my order arrived, I opened it and found Friends Season 10. I went through the proper channels and returned it and I was told that it was now out of stock and would be sent to me when it returned. A few weeks ago I had to change the address my order would be going to, but the lady told me she couldn't change it. (Even though not only was it not shipped yet, it still wasn't even in stock!) She had to cancel my order and reorder it. She told me that it would be back in stock the first week of January. So Saturday I emailed them to check on the status of my order and just now got:

We regret to inform you that the title "DVD : FRIENDS-THE ONE WITH ALL 10 SEASON" you requested, is discontinued and no longer available. However, in some cases they may be reissued at a later date. If the item is reissued you will find it on our site at that time.

Please reply to this email to assist you further.
I replied that they have lost my business (almost $2000 between the last 20% sale and the B1G1 sale) and to pass it along to management.

Grrr... just needed to rant.

Last edited by Ohio Bobcat; 01-09-06 at 03:25 AM.
Old 01-09-06, 04:33 AM

The sad fact is they don't care. They ignore emails, have horrible shipping practices, and are now outsourcing customer "service".
Old 01-09-06, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I grew tired with DDD awhile ago. For the last sale, I bought 3 DVDs, and they took almost a month to get to me (and THREE WEEKS between shipping notification and actual delivery).

I agree with Hal. They really don't care. I really wish reputable sites like this one would stop endorsing such a shitty business.
Old 01-09-06, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
My order of over 50 DVDs got to me two days after I ordered it, complete with the exception of one other title, which I got later. The prices, at least for what I got, were not increased before the sale or decreased after the sale.

My suggestions:
  • Build your wishlist now and keep it updated.
  • The day of the sale, order everything you can as soon as possible (first or second day is best). Ship it via two-day shipping or expedited shipping.
  • Check your order when you get it.
Old 01-09-06, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sad to see so many problems. Some of their practices are annoying, but I've never really had any problem with them compared to how much I see here a lot. I just hope they're not going downhill.
Old 01-09-06, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Friends set is a Limited Edition and appears to be unavailable on other stores too, so this looks to have more to do with that than DDD itself. You just missed out.
Old 01-09-06, 09:04 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
The Friends set is a Limited Edition and appears to be unavailable on other stores too, so this looks to have more to do with that than DDD itself. You just missed out.
Please reread my message and maybe you'll see why I was so upset... I hardly call ordering the set at 12:00am the minute it came out missing out. They sent me the wrong item and because of their careless shipping mistake I don't have it.

I also recall reading on these forums that someone who ordered only season 10 received the complete series set. There's their error right there.
Old 01-09-06, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, it sounds like they messed up on your order and didn't have the proper set available when it came time to fix the problem. That sucks.

I've had some minor issues with DDD in the past, nothing past an annoyance though. I have learned that if I want something and want to make sure I get it in a reasonable amount of time, not to use DDD. The extra $1-5 isn't worth it to me. I'd rather go with a site like Amazon. I'll still use DDD during their 20% off sales, but that's about it.
Old 01-09-06, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus
My order of over 50 DVDs got to me two days after I ordered it, complete with the exception of one other title, which I got later. The prices, at least for what I got, were not increased before the sale or decreased after the sale.

My suggestions:
  • Build your wishlist now and keep it updated.
  • The day of the sale, order everything you can as soon as possible (first or second day is best). Ship it via two-day shipping or expedited shipping.
  • Check your order when you get it.
I've always build up my wishlist in preparation for a 20% sale, and the funny thing is that the prices of the majority of my selections gets jacked up right before the sale.

I've had to wait as much as 3 weeks for items to arrive. I can't fault them though because I'm sure they received massive orders for the same items during the last sale (Stargate SG-1 seasons). I guess there is a price for low prices and waiting is something I've grown accustomed to with DDD.

My one gripe regarding their service is that when I do receive a damaged DVD, try as I might to get them to send me a return label to return the item, they would not send one. I think you have to mail it back yourself before they would send you a replacement.
Old 01-09-06, 10:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ohio Bobcat
I also recall reading on these forums that someone who ordered only season 10 received the complete series set. There's their error right there.
Checking in.
Old 01-09-06, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by renaldow
I have learned that if I want something and want to make sure I get it in a reasonable amount of time, not to use DDD. The extra $1-5 isn't worth it to me. I'd rather go with a site like Amazon.
I've been buying from DDD for years, and this is my practice. They have great prices, and I eagerly buy from them -- as long as it's something I don't need in a hurry or by a specific deadline. They are slow. Learned that lesson a couple or three years ago when I ordered about 10 titles in early November for Christmas presents and got exactly one of them in time to give for Christmas.

That's the only problem I've really ever had with them. Never have they shipped me the wrong item or anything like that. It's just that sometimes, it takes forever for them to deliver an order.
Old 01-09-06, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by consoleman
My one gripe regarding their service is that when I do receive a damaged DVD, try as I might to get them to send me a return label to return the item, they would not send one. I think you have to mail it back yourself before they would send you a replacement.
They refuse to send you a return label for a damaged DVD? That's odd. I've had about half-a-dozen damaged DVD issues, and they've always been fast in e-mailing me a return mailing label. So you don't have to pay anything for shipping. What they won't do is send you the replacement until they get the damaged DVD. Of course, there can be misunderstanding and miscommunication with Pakistan, or wherever their customer service is really located. They really should be sending you a free mailing label for your return.
Old 01-10-06, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't remember who it was but someone in one of the DDD 20% off thread looks to have gotten your order.
They ordered S10 and got the big box instead.
Old 01-10-06, 11:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigjim25
I don't remember who it was but someone in one of the DDD 20% off thread looks to have gotten your order.
They ordered S10 and got the big box instead.
I posted about it in the friends box thread. Somebody there mentioned only getting the season but I don't remember if it was the OP.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing didn't happen to other people.
Old 01-10-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've only been around for 2 DDD sales and have had zero problems getting and returning (one item out of about 15) the DVDs. I'm sorry to hear about your FRIENDS set, dude.
Old 01-11-06, 08:44 AM
Banned

I ordered the WWE Wrestlemania Anthology from them the day it was available for pre-order at a extremely low price. The week it comes out I am told they did not get them in and it would 2 weeks for delivery. Of course every other online retailer had them in, DDD took too many orders for too cheap a price and they could not deliver! That was my last order from them (cancelled order at that) and I rather pay a few bucks more and have less hassles....DDD SUCKS
Old 01-11-06, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I've placed only a couple of orders through DDD. They were both fairly big-ticket items(The Wrestlemania Anthology and Buffy:The Chosen Collection). Both were pre-orders. I didn't have a single issue getting either of these orders in a timely manner. I like DDD and will order from them again.
Old 01-12-06, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by brainee
They refuse to send you a return label for a damaged DVD? That's odd. I've had about half-a-dozen damaged DVD issues, and they've always been fast in e-mailing me a return mailing label. So you don't have to pay anything for shipping. What they won't do is send you the replacement until they get the damaged DVD. Of course, there can be misunderstanding and miscommunication with Pakistan, or wherever their customer service is really located. They really should be sending you a free mailing label for your return.
In the past, I've never had this problem. I've been ordering from them for years. This past December, I finally received a damaged DVD. Speaking with one of their customer reps, he simply said to follow the instructions on the invoice and mail it back. Only after they received the damaged DVD would they send the replacement. I'm sure the people I spoke with were indeed American and not from Pakistan.