Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Wholesale dvd suppliers

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Wholesale dvd suppliers

Old 12-19-05, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wholesale dvd suppliers

Hello,

I am looking to start a DVD business on ebay etc.

My main problem is trying to find a suppllier of the latest DVDS as fair wholesale prices.

What i would like to know is where can i buy some DVDs from at fair prices.

I have seen people on ebay selling loads, but they wont tell people like myself where they are having them from.

I have done quite abit of research yet the prices i find are far too high, and having spent over 100 on information already, im yet to find what im looking for, can anybody help.

I Have also ordered a few DVDS from 2 suppliers based abroad, one in china and one in thailand, trouble is the dvds are not boxed or factory sealed, therfore you'd have to purchase cases seperatey. the 2 companies claim their dvds are genuine, however being a novice im not sure.

Also regarding DVDs which may be fake, how can you tell the difference between a genuine dvd and a copy, what do you have to look for, as the dvds i have purchased from the 2 companies abroad, look genuine and they insist they are, but how can i be sure. they also play in very good quality, and all extra features included work.

Are DVDs purchased from abroad also allowed to be sold in the UK?

thank you for in advance for any information you can give me.
Old 12-19-05, 11:48 AM

Look in your home town for distributors or there are many in the usa. I know in the usa though you have to get a business name and a Tax ID number before they'll even deal with you.
Old 12-19-05, 12:01 PM

To the original poster: DVD margins are razor thin, and please don't think that I'm exaggerating. The *only* groups that profit on a largescale directly from DVD sales are the studios and distribution firms themselves. New release DVDs are traditionally sold at or below cost while catalogue titles enjoy a margin of 5-10% and when you consider your operating costs, that 5-10% dissapears very quickly. Further, discounters and major resellers like Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Amazon, who typically slash DVD prices to pennies above "wholesale," make it very easy for consumers to know what the best price of a DVD is. In the UK, Virgin, Woolworths and HMV do very much the same thing.
Old 12-19-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,403 Likes on 1,620 Posts
You should keep in mind that wholesale prices aren't really that cheap. Many times, new releases that are on sale for the first week at places like Walmart and Target are even cheaper than normal wholesale price (they are loss leaders). Most stores barely make a profit with DVDs, and there is a lot of competion on eBay (especially with sellers of cheaper non-legit stuff).

Actually, I'm just basing this on the North American market, I'm not sure if the UK is the same. And as for legality of selling imported discs, I think it would be highly frowned upon by most studios, they started the region coding thing for a reason (it's ok to import discs for personal use though)

EDIT: above poster beat me with much of the same info by mere seconds

Last edited by cultshock; 12-19-05 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-19-05, 03:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OwlAtHome
Here's a link to the website: http://www.homemediaretailing.com/

The link to subscribe is at the bottom of the webpage.

Also, I used to sell DVDs on ebay and my main sources were video stores going out of business and people selling lots on Ebay. Check ebay everday (a couple of times a day: http://dvd.listings.ebay.com/Wholesa...istingItemList ) and you'll find some great deals, check "Buy it now" lots. I once bought a lot of 150 DVDs for $300 and made over $1000 on them by reselling individually. I didn't even sell them all, what I had left I sold to Digitaleyes for store credit.
Those wholesale lots are absolute CRAP. I see those junk titles selling for $1 at local flea markets.....
Old 12-19-05, 06:27 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Don't get too ambitious. I have a retail CD/DVD store and am hooked up with a huge distribution company. We get a price break (because we know someone who knows someone) and even with the break...Deep Discount DVD pretty much sells at wholesale costs. Usually DDD.com has almost EVERYTHING available for exactly $1 more than we can buy it at wholesale. Retail/Resell on media is rough to say the least. It's an insanely competetive market. The people above pretty much pointed it out perfectly.
Old 12-21-05, 11:22 AM

I might also suggest that if you are going to sell DVDs on ebay you don't use the same username you have on DVDTalk.

Good luck.
Old 12-21-05, 07:24 PM

I am an Electronics manager at Target, and every Tuesday morning a guy who runs a small, mom & pop store comes in and buys about 30 copies of every new release to rent out at his store. So I'd assume that buying from a wholesaler wouldn't save you much money than buying at a retail store.
Old 12-21-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I might also suggest that if you are going to sell DVDs on ebay you don't use the same username you have on DVDTalk.

Good luck.
Just curious as to why that would be an issue?
Old 12-21-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BKenn01
Just curious as to why that would be an issue?
boots9 ..I guess could be associated with "bootlegs" and most bootlegs always have "dvd9" on the case artwork ..
Old 12-21-05, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

boots9 ..I guess could be associated with "bootlegs" and most bootlegs always have "dvd9" on the case artwork ..
LOL, Duh I never associated that one.