Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Netflix - questions on specific rental titles (Bug's Life, Christmas Story)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-05, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I searched on Netflix looking for a general thread where people could post questions about movies they have for rent (such as is this the right version of x or does anyone know when they'll get y in stock), but I couldn't find such a thread. Does anyone have a link to such a thread or should we start one?

My questions for starters are the following:

1. Netflix has the 2nd (bonus) DVD of the Bug's Life Collector's Edition, but for the movie itself they show a different cover than the Collector's Edition. The movie's description says Anamorphic Widescreen, and from what I've read if it's anamorphic then it is the Collector's Edition and not the old non-anamorphic release. Does anyone know if the movie is the Collector's Edition with Anamorphic Widescreen?

Also, A Christmas Story is listed as the 20th Anniversary Edition, but when I ordered it TWICE I got the old full screen release. They have the 2nd DVD of the Anniversary Edition available, so you'd think they'd have the movie disc of the Anniversary Edition too. I emailed them, I was told they would investigate it, and correct it, but I see no change on the description so how do I know if they've fixed it?
Old 12-01-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem when I tried to rent Clerks X. They clearly had it since they offered the bonus discs, and initially the cover art for the movie was of the new DVD. They sent me the old one, and I had some frustrating back and forths with customer service via email. (I never did get it, but since I mostly just wanted to see the movie it became not worth the effort to pursue further.) Eventually they changed the cover art to the old DVD.

My theory, and this is really only a guess, is that they don't always distinguish between DVD releases where the feature is concerned (unless it's an EE or DC), so it's really a crapshoot which version you'll get.

Last edited by kitkat; 12-01-05 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-03-05, 01:16 PM

Based on the 1 reply, I assume this means there is no thread (and nobody has interest in starting one) to post questions about specific titles like Bug's Life, A Christmas Story, or Clerks X that were mentioned?

The entire point of such a thread and posting these questions is to avoid wasting a rental at Netflix to get a version of something you don't want. Hopefully someone reading would have already rented the title and be able to say which version it was. For instance, I know that A Christmas Story (20th Anniversary) is actually the old full screen version. That could save someone else a rental. Compiling such info would be useful (in my opinion).

There are threads on "does this DVD movie come with an insert", so why not a "which version of this DVD does Netflix actually carry" thread? Otherwise, I guess I'll have to make a new thread each time I have a question about a specific Netflix (or Blockbuster) title? I've learned now that the fact the correct DVD cover is pictured doesn't guarantee the right version of the movie will be sent.

I still really would like to know if A Bug's Life is in fact the Collector's Edition with anamorphic widescreen, and is The Thing really the Collector's Edition with anamorphic widescreen?

Last edited by Manzana; 12-03-05 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-07-05, 03:12 PM

I would be very interested in a running thread on this topic.

I am curious about whether or not Netflix has the new anamorphic DVDs of The Truman Show and Titanic. Both list anamorphic widescreen but show the old covers.

I know firsthand that they have the new version of The Deer Hunter, although they still show the old cover.
Old 12-08-05, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought Netflix rarely gets the new editions of movies...unless they changed. I know blockbuster.com used to get most new re-releases, but have slacked off lately (no Frighteners DC)
Old 12-11-05, 12:01 PM

Given that Netflix doesn't have very many re-releases, a thread about this topic wouldn't be very big. However, if we made it a Netflix/Blockbuster re-release thread, then it could be large because Blockbuster does get some re-releases.

Actually, I once joined Blockbuster for a 1 month trial for the sole purpose of getting several re-releases that I found while browsing. Out of a list of about 25 I wanted, I managed to get about 8 of them in 1 month. Why? Because virtually EVERY re-release remained in a perpetual Very Long Wait state. One of them (Clueless "Whatever Edition") made it to Short Wait and then vanished and became the old Clueless edition. What happened is that I'd go days with nothing being sent out until I added some old catalog titles, and then Blockbuster skipped over all the 20 or so re-releases I wanted each time and always sent me the old catalog titles. In the end, I decided the success rate getting re-releases at Blockbuster was too low and they are even slower than Netflix in my area.

Back on topic, it might be helpful to have an official thread to share information about re-release rentals at either place. We all know they will have first time releases, so it's only the re-releases we care about.

So how do I start an official thread? Do I just post a new thread and call it the "Official Netflix/Blockbuster re-release thread" in the Stores forum and hope that people don't quickly forget about it?

It would be nice if people would add information they have about any re-releases to such a thread, such as when Netflix lists "Christmas Story 20th Anniversary Edition" and actually sends you the old full screen release instead.
Old 12-11-05, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I thought Netflix rarely gets the new editions of movies...unless they changed. I know blockbuster.com used to get most new re-releases, but have slacked off lately (no Frighteners DC)
Unfortunately you are right, and the fact Netflix stays away from most re-releases is the only reason why I feel like once or twice a year I'll have to try Blockbuster to see if I can watch any of those re-releases. However, Netflix does get some. For instance, the new Wizard of Oz Collector's Edition or Rambo Ultimate Edition re-releases. If you search on "Special Edition" or "Collectors Edition" I think you'll get a couple pages worth of seemingly random re-releases at Netflix. I don't know if they just felt these were popular enough to warrant re-buying or if they were replacing damaged older editions.

If someone compiled a list of what re-releases are available at Netflix, that would be cool. I don't have time to do that, but any time I discover a new one I'd be happy to update such a thread.
Old 12-14-05, 12:23 AM

Given the lack of interest, I'm going to give up on the idea of having a Netflix/Blockbuster re-releases thread. If someone else wants to make one, I'll bookmark it and participate.

In the meantime, I might make individual posts asking about specific titles, but given that nobody was able to answer my questions about the specific titles I mentioned, it seems that not enough people are interested in such a thread to get the wide knowledge base needed. Maybe most people aren't interested in seeing re-releases and new bonus materials?

I don't know where else to try... maybe alt.video.dvd? Perhaps it's just easier to waste a week's time renting these (I only get 3 per week because Netflix likes to throttle me). It works out to wasting $1.50 each (i.e. $18/12 per month) if they are the wrong versions. I just can't stand to watch non-anamorphic on a 16x9 set any more.
Old 12-14-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There just aren't that many of us, and we're all renting different movies. I haven't rented either movie you've asked about and I have no plans to (I've seen 'em both - ages ago).

If anyone's keeping a list, they do not currently have the Criterion version of Shoot the Piano Player.

But really, you need more than a few dozen people to make this worthwhile. Renters seem to be the minority on this site, and Netflix subscribers are only a subset of this minority. It's not that most people here aren't intrested in bonus materials, we just haven't Netflix'd the movies you asked about.

Last edited by kitkat; 12-14-05 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-14-05, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by kitkat
There just aren't that many of us, and we're all renting different movies. I haven't rented either movie you've asked about and I have no plans to (I've seen 'em both - ages ago).

If anyone's keeping a list, they do not currently have the Criterion version of Shoot the Piano Player.

But really, you need more than a few dozen people to make this worthwhile. Renters seem to be the minority on this site, and Netflix subscribers are only a subset of this minority. It's not that most people here aren't intrested in bonus materials, we just haven't Netflix'd the movies you asked about.
I understand. Maybe you misunderstood the kind of thread I wanted. It sounds like you think I wanted a list of re-release titles Netflix doesn't carry. What I actually wanted is a list of Netflix (or Blockbuster) titles that are not what they appear to be... i.e. Christmas Story 20th Anniversary is actually the older full screen version, whether A Bug's Life with the picture of the old edition is actually the Collector's Edition, etc.

There's no point in cataloging what Netflix doesn't have in re-releases because it's so many. It probably wouldn't hurt to make a list of what re-releases they do have. But like you said, there's not enough people here with those interests to justify the effort. At least now I know. Thanks for replying.
Old 12-15-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's a shame Netflix doesn't host a forum. You're asking good questions. Maybe since it's December someone else on this site will rent A Christmas Story and see this thread. I stand by my theory that they sometimes have two versions but only show cover art for one, so that it's a crapshoot as to which you get (like I experienced with Clerks). We'd probably need at least ten people or so to rent each title to test that one out, and I somehow think that's not likely to happen.

Nice idea, though - just not enough traffic here.
Old 12-19-05, 10:07 AM

Netflix finally updated the specs on A Christmas Story even though they show the wrong picture. Unfortunately I guess they don't update things until people complain after wasting time/money renting the wrong version.