DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   DDD Sale (After Sale Talk) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/445912-ddd-sale-after-sale-talk.html)

GeoffK 11-20-05 01:38 AM

DDD Sale (After Sale Talk)

Sales Over... This is the thread to talk about it.

(cont. from http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=445277)

illini420 11-20-05 01:43 AM

Yeah! I survived the DDD sale without spending any cash. Of course, the only reason for this is that I've been busy spending $3k-$4k of Best Buy Bucks this month, about half of them on DVDs.

Thanks to DDD for having this sale as I've overindulged in the past sales. Already looking forward to the next and getting my wishlist ready.

dizzlle01 11-20-05 01:48 AM

cant wait for the next sale with all the upcoming releases and this sale has put a big hole in my pocket especially being a college student

AllHallowsEve 11-20-05 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by illini420
Yeah! I survived the DDD sale without spending any cash. Of course, the only reason for this is that I've been busy spending $3k-$4k of Best Buy Bucks this month, about half of them on DVDs.

Thanks to DDD for having this sale as I've overindulged in the past sales. Already looking forward to the next and getting my wishlist ready.

Ugh! I couldnt even image. Just a couple hundred put me through hell. But, congrats! It's fantastic if it works which it seems to have done with you.

Pasolini 11-20-05 01:50 AM

yes, above all thanks to DDD. My only very small complaint is their search engine, but thanks to all the dvdtalkers and their listed suggestions, it wasn't a big deal.

Spent around $400, somehow after 3 orders I managed to forget to order the main item I came to order -- Batman Anthology! I just remembered after the sale ended. Too bad, because no one else seems to want to put that thing on sale -- its one of the lowest stocked, least advertised box sets I've ever seen in the b&m stores.

blindrocket 11-20-05 02:01 AM

The only thing I have to worry about is that the stuff I didn't get to order goes "OOP" before the next DDD sale.

And to the poster above me, you have to admit that their search engine is a tad better than it use to be. At least it is for me.

dizzlle01 11-20-05 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Pasolini
yes, above all thanks to DDD. My only very small complaint is their search engine, but thanks to all the dvdtalkers and their listed suggestions, it wasn't a big deal.

Spent around $400, somehow after 3 orders I managed to forget to order the main item I came to order -- Batman Anthology! I just remembered after the sale ended. Too bad, because no one else seems to want to put that thing on sale -- its one of the lowest stocked, least advertised box sets I've ever seen in the b&m stores.

Damn it. I forgot to order the Batman Anthology now that you mentioned it.

Gamelore 11-20-05 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by blindrocket
The only thing I have to worry about is that the stuff I didn't get to order goes "OOP" before the next DDD sale.

:lol:

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I spent about $400 total, but there are still lots of limited, unpopular DVDs that I want that are coming out soon which could easily disappear by May/June 2006. And a few things that I put on my "to rent" list before buying might go OOP too.

illini420 11-20-05 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by dizzlle01
cant wait for the next sale with all the upcoming releases and this sale has put a big hole in my pocket especially being a college student

That's what the college loans are for, hahahaha!! Seriously though, lots cheaper than paying credit card interest and school loans are usually tax deductible.

JamesJ 11-20-05 04:14 AM

My order:

KENTUCKY FRIED MOVIE $ 4.79
NEAR DARK $ 9.59
TIME BANDITS (2DISC/SE) $ 11.88
THE REBOOT-ANIMATED MOVIES $ 9.59
MONTY PYTHON-CIRCUS SEASON 1 SET 1 $ 14.37
MONTY PYTHON'S LIFE OF PYTHON $ 7.88
DANGER MOUSE-1ST & 2ND SEASONS $ 14.28
AD POLICE FILES $ 10.79
DRIVE $ 4.79
BLACKADDER-III $ 11.51
STEPHEN LYNCH-LIVE AT THE EL REY $ 7.16
THE HEROIC TRIO $ 5.04
KILL BILL V.01 $ 11.04
KILL BILL V.02 $ 11.04
GARGOYLES-1ST SEASON (2D) $ 17.27
HERO (JET LI) $ 11.04
NEWSRADIO-1ST & 2ND SEASON (3D) $ 21.48
STARSHIP TROOPERS 2-HERO OF FEDERA $ 7.53
SPIDER-MAN 2 (WS) $ 11.12
GODZILLA 2000 $ 4.80
ROUGHNECKS-STC-CAMPAIGNS $ 29.66
HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS/CROUCHING $ 20.62
PROJECT A-KO-COLLECTION $ 12.94
DOMINION TANK POLICE (101 EDITION) $ 8.62
THE ANIME TEST DRIVE-SLAYERS $ 4.79
DON'T ASK DON'T TELL $ 11.98
CODE LYOKO V.01-XANA UNLEASHED $ 7.19
WILDCATS-COMPLETE SERIES (CE) $ 19.19
THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE $ 5.74
WIZARDS $ 7.99
WHAT'S UP TIGER LILY $ 11.69
HENRY ROLLINS-SHOCK & AWE $ 11.69
KRONOS $ 8.77
MARGARET CHO-ASSASSIN $ 11.86
EDDIE IZZARD-DRESS TO KILL $ 13.20
EDDIE IZZARD-CIRCLE $ 13.20
HOW TO IRRITATE PEOPLE $ 8.64
ARMY OF DARKNESS $ 7.91
BANANAS $ 7.29
EVERYTHING YOU ALWAYS WANTED $ 7.29
LOVE AND DEATH $ 7.29
SLEEPER $ 7.29
THE ADVENTURES OF BUCKAROO BANZAI $ 7.29
FRITZ THE CAT $ 7.29
THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES $ 7.29
BLADE GIFTSET (3PACK) $ 40.74
SILENT MOBIUS COLLECTION 1 $ 9.56
TENCHI MUYO-V.01 OVA $ 14.87
TENCHI MUYO-V.02 OVA $ 14.87
TENCHI MUYO OVA V.03 (SIGNATURE S $ 12.76
TENCHI MUYO OVA V.04 (SIGNATURE SE $ 12.76
TOP SECRET $ 4.79
THE WAR OF THE WORLDS (SE/1953) $ 7.48
SKY CAPTAIN & THE WORLD OF TOMORROW (WS) $ 10.84
BETTER OFF DEAD $ 7.48
FAIRLY ODDPARENTS-SCARY GODPARENTS $ 9.40
BEAVIS & BUTT-HEAD-MIKE JUDGE V.01 $ 21.03
ROD-READ OR DIE $ 12.76
HOME MOVIES-1ST SEASON $ 16.74
INU YASHA-V.10 SCARS OF BATTLE $ 13.19
VAMPIRE HUNTER D $ 15.82
NEW DOMINION TANK POLICE-MASAMUNE $ 10.63
ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW (1D) $ 8.26
FIREFLY-COMPLETE SERIES $ 26.87
RUROUNI KENSHIN VOL.14-FIRE REQUIEM $ 14.38
INVADER ZIM BOX (7D) $ 62.38
MONTY PYTHON'S MEANING OF LIFE (SE $ 19.49
ROCK & RULE (CE) $ 15.83
WILLY WONKA & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY (LBX $ 9.50

Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $6.95
Your Total: $873.08

Your promotional discount is reflected in the prices above.
The promotional discount on this order was: $211.96

I can't believe I spent over $800 on DVDs (almost $1100 before the discount).

But wait, there's more. :-)

Second (and last) order:

DANGER MOUSE-3RD & 4TH SEASONS $ 14.28
CIRCLE OF IRON $ 9.58
MUPPET SHOW-1ST SEASON (SE) $ 22.29
ONG BAK-THAI WARRIOR $ 16.70
LIAR LIAR (COLLECTOR'S EDITION) $ 7.48
THE RUNDOWN (WS) $ 7.91
DOCTOR DETROIT $ 6.76
DUMB AND DUMBER $ 6.43
BILLY SQUIER-LIVE IN THE DARK $ 12.76
LEMONY SNICKET - UNFORTUNATE EVENTS (WS) $ 9.49
STRIPPERELLA-1ST SEASON $ 15.60
GEORGE MICHAEL-LADIES & GENTLEMEN- $ 9.56
QUEEN-GREATEST VIDEO HITS #1 (SE) $ 15.44
QUEEN-GREATEST VIDEO HITS 2 $ 12.47
ONE STEP BEYOND-1ST COLLECTION $ 16.77
BRINGING UP BABY (SE) $ 16.07
BLAZING SADDLES (SE/30TH ANNIVERSA $ 9.50
WILLY WONKA (WS) $ 9.50
BATMAN BEGINS (2D/SE) $ 17.99
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL GUNFIGHTER/SHERIFF $ 11.23

Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $6.95
Your Total: $254.76

Your promotional discount is reflected in the prices above.
The promotional discount on this order was: $62.05

Over $1100 total. Geez. :-)

I'm not really in any hurry to get any of these, but I figured as long as I was spending hundreds of $, I might as well "splurge" and pay $7 for UPS shipping. :-)

Most exciting item? WILDCATS-COMPLETE SERIES (CE)

I've been waiting for this for years. I bought the tapes I could find, way back when. Then DVD's came around and I've been hoping it would come out on DVD some day. I don't think it was too long ago when I last looked for it on DVD and found nothing. But then I just happened to run across it while looking around DDD for this sale. Yay. :-)

If anyone is really paying attention, they may notice Willy Wonka on both orders. The one on the first order was, I think, an older release. It sounded better in the DDD description, so I ordered that one. But the order status says "discontinued" with a 0 price, so I assume I'm not going to get that one, so I added the other one to the second order. (For the pedantics among us, which includes me :-), my final total should then actually be 9.50 lower than what's shown above.)

As for people trying to get in last minute orders, I can sympathize. I missed the deadline myself on a third order. Nothing big. Some last minute items and a few left over odds and ends. Why did I wait? I didn't really. The fact is, I got that order in about as soon as I could. I didn't get my first order in until this afternoon. Not because I was waiting, but because it took me all freakin' week to get my list together. :-) I couldn't begin to guess how many hours I spent this week trying to think of things, reading these threads (lots of time reading these threads :-), looking around the DDD site, price comparing, etc.
I finally got my first order in this afternoon, then had time enough to come up with some other items, remember some things I'd forgotten, and make up my mind on some things, and place a second order. I was working on a third, but when I got ready to checkout, it was a bit too late. But that's OK. I knew I was pushing the deadline, and it was mostly minor stuff. And it's not like I hadn't spent enough already. :-)

On the subject of searching DDD, it definitely can be a PITA. I really don't get how their search works. Sometimes if I search for two words, it seems to find both of them. But at one point, trying to figure out what it was doing, I put in one word and made up a second and it found titles with the first word, effectively ignoring the second (made up) word. I tried briefly to find some explanation (eg. on their help page) for how their search works and couldn't find anything. Apart from using quotes, are there any controls for how it uses the search terms you enter?
I had one really weird search experience. I tried searching for "music videos" (without the quotes) and it found 1800+ matches (182 pages, 10 per page). But as I was looking through them I realized that I was seeing things over and over again. I might see the same titles on two or more pages in a row, then something else, then more repeats, etc. Eventually I'd start seeing new titles, which would repeat for a while, then more new ones. It was really weird. The number of actual unique titles was probably a small fraction of the 1800+ they listed.

Anyway, I have now bought more DVDs than I can possibly watch in my lifetime. Thanks, DDD. I think. :-) (And thanks DVDTalk for letting me know about the sale)

James

Jlbkwrm 11-20-05 04:21 AM

If I could change one thing about DDD, it wouldn't be the search--it'd be the order tracking system. I got my second (and final) order in about a half-hour before the end of the sale, but am now worried that it'll wind up lost. I still don't have the usually instantly generated "We've got your order, we'll have an order number for you in 24 hours." e-mail, and the order status isn't any help right now. I'm hoping it's just a delay due to higher-than-normal server traffic, but I'm not sure.

If I could change two things, it'd be the order status system and search, but order status first.

Qui Gon Jim 11-20-05 04:22 AM

I only got the WWE Wrestlemania Anthology and (due to high praise here and attractive price) Firefly Complete. So in all I'm only out around $150. The fall sale is always tough for me because my birthday is this week and Christmas is coming so my fiancee gets a bit miffed if I go hog wild. I would have also included the WWE Bret, Jake, Warrior, ECW, Eddy and Undertaker sets as well as Batman Anthology.

I was waiting for this sale to pull the trigger on the WM anthology and I got it faster than any other order from DDD, I think.

Thanks for the great pricing, DDD!

nemein 11-20-05 05:58 AM

Anyone else having problems w/ orders shipping? My first two went out the next day. The third has been hung up for almost a week now although none of them are backordered :scratch2:

Shagrath 11-20-05 06:09 AM

Just finished going through and grabbing the rest of the order posts from the last thread, and the one (so far) in this one.. Here's the final stats for the sale, as of post #13 of the Post-Sale thread.

Total Orders: 871
Total Cost: $141588.80
Total Discs: 7739

Average Cost per Order: $162.56
Average Cost per Disc: $18.30
Average Discs per Order: 8

I'll do another run if more people post their orders within the next few days. Also, if there's any other stats you'd be interested in seeing, just let me know. As long as it has something to do with prices or total discs, I should be able to do it. Unfortunately, with so many people posting their orders different ways, it would've been very difficult to store the stats for individual titles.

tonyc3742 11-20-05 06:33 AM

Considering that a large number of 'discs' were actually TV series season sets [though of course I can't guess as to an exact percentage], 18 bucks average is quite reasonable. Of course, toward the end there especially, I did see a lot of sub-6 or 8 buck titles as well.

And if we assume that every order was sold to a no-sales-tax-collected state [which of course isn't necessarily true], at the baseline of 7% which is my state sales tax rate, that's another $9911 saved....of course most states are wising up and making you estimate online purchases on your annual state tax return :(

I'd like to second [or third] the thanks to DDD. I'm not a huge, multihundred dollar purchaser of DVDs, but I always hit DDD first when looking for something, and tell friends to check DDD first as well; I always say "if you're looking for a DVD, and DDD has it, odds are they're the cheapest." And I've never had a problem with order or shipping, and free shipping is great [although it makes it too easy to order onesy-twosies here and there, which I guess isn't a problem for DDD :)}.

68ShelbyGT500KR 11-20-05 06:55 AM

Shagrath, include My 2nd and Final order, not included in the other threads
LONGEST DAY, THE $ 7.99 In-stock
EMPIRE OF THE SUN $ 7.20 In-stock

It took 4 days (ordered after hours on the 15th, and shipped Sat the 19th) for my 1st order. I assumed it would take loner to ship it because it was shipping to a different addreess other than the billing address.

The 2nd order, above, I hope will ship out Tuesday. Received E-Mail confirmation in `12-14 hrs. Shipping to same address as billing.

pOpus 11-20-05 07:26 AM

Thanks goodness its over... I spent way too much money (nearly $500). I am sort of glad that they ended the coupon on time, or I would have spent even more money. Every DDD sale, I put all the titles that I am on the fence about into my cart before I go to bed the night that the sale ends. If the coupon still works the next morning, I get the titles; if not, I figure it wasn't meant to be. Saved myself another $150 because the sale ended on time.

Thanks again to DDD for offering such great deals. I'll start getting my wish list ready for the summer sale.

Gamelore 11-20-05 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by JamesJ
My order:

SILENT MOBIUS COLLECTION 1 $ 9.56

BEAVIS & BUTT-HEAD-MIKE JUDGE V.01 $ 21.03

Not because I was waiting, but because it took me all freakin' week to get my list together. :-) I couldn't begin to guess how many hours I spent this week trying to think of things, reading these threads (lots of time reading these threads :-), looking around the DDD site, price comparing, etc.

Was that a mistake?

Silent Mobius Collection 1 $11.99 is different from Silent Mobius Collection $17.99. One is the complete 26-episode series, one is just the first 8-9 episodes! I didn't get into later in the show (past episode 9 at least), either. I highly recommend the full set.

And the Mike Judge collection V.01 is just a random sampler. They couldn't acquire the rights to some of the music videos in it, so they had to put this together with the leftovers :( It's randomly CENSORED too. Kinda my way of boycotting half-assed releases. Though, if there is little chance of a re-release in the future, ever, then I go ahead and buy what I can.

I also spent *all* week sorting through threads, reading disc reviews, checking IMDB ratings, etc. But when I find a title that is not complete or perfect, I put it in my "wait for better version" section of DVDAF, rather than buy what is available :)

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
I only got the WWE Wrestlemania Anthology and (due to high praise here and attractive price) Firefly Complete.

Nice going on Firefly! I was in your shoes during the June sale.

DVD Smurf 11-20-05 07:31 AM

I will now try to catch up on these films as soon as I can. By the way I made one final order before midnite.

BEAT MY HEART SKIPPED $ 13.28
LIFEBOAT (SPECIAL EDITION) $ 11.71
JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG (SE) $ 7.53
KILLING, THE $ 7.48
YESTERDAY TODAY & TOMORROW $ 10.61
INTIMATE STRANGERS $ 7.48

Qui Gon Jim 11-20-05 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Gamelore

Nice going on Firefly! I was in your shoes during the June sale.

My fiancee and I sat together and watched S1 of Lost and then the DVRed 2nd season episodes. Then we watched Desperate Housewives S1 and are going to start with the DVRed S2 episodes, and I figure once we are caught up, we can move onto Firefly and hopefully finish it around the release of Serenity.

lizard 11-20-05 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by nemein
Anyone else having problems w/ orders shipping? My first two went out the next day. The third has been hung up for almost a week now although none of them are backordered :scratch2:

FWIW, I got the shipping notice for my 11-14 order (the Buffy set) last night. DDD does seem to be catching up on the order backlog.

MovieExchange 11-20-05 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by nemein

As the sale goes on, the orders start backing up in the warehouse. That's where the bottleneck is.

The Bus 11-20-05 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
As the sale goes on, the orders start backing up in the warehouse. That's where the bottleneck is.

My big order I shipped using two-days shipping. My next two orders I didn't need immediately so those are sent standard and it's quite OK if I get them in a few weeks.

blucadet3 11-20-05 09:33 AM

My order...

DVD : MONTY PYTHON 16 TON MEGASET $ 88.31 In-stock
DVD : FRAGGLE ROCK-1ST SEASON $ 21.60 Backorder
DVD : JUG-BAND CHRISTMAS $ 5.76 Backorder
DVD : NEW ORDER-ITEM [2DISC) $ 13.30 In-stock
DVD : MIRACLE RIDER, THE $ 11.17 In-stock
DVD : FRIENDS-10TH SEASON $ 23.31 In-stock
Total for this Order: $ 163.45

jaymz 11-20-05 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
My fiancee and I sat together and watched S1 of Lost and then the DVRed 2nd season episodes. Then we watched Desperate Housewives S1 and are going to start with the DVRed S2 episodes, and I figure once we are caught up, we can move onto Firefly and hopefully finish it around the release of Serenity.

Serenity was released a month or so ago...