Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Target vs WalMart-Interesting Perspective from the Boston Globe

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Target vs WalMart-Interesting Perspective from the Boston Globe

Old 11-02-05, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Target - bright color (white and red), wider aisles, shorter shelves
Wal-mart - dark colors (blue and grey) narrow aisles and towering shelves

I much prefer Target - I've never been in a Wal-Mart (even a brand new one) that didn't feel like a complete shithole...with the clientele to boot.
Old 11-02-05, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston? Is that where they make baked beans?
Old 11-03-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I shop at Wal-Mart nearly every week because their groceries are cheaper than every single store in town and they will price match any advertised price with no hassle. Perhaps if I could afford to have better "taste" I would.
Old 11-03-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,071 Likes on 649 Posts
K-mart is the new T G & Y.

Wal-mart is the new K-Mart.

Target is the new Wal-mart.

The question is...who will be the new Target???
Old 11-03-05, 02:38 PM
Retired

Yeah, the wal-marts that have grocery stores are hard not to shop at for the prices.

Fortunately, they're are no Supercenters around me, just plain wal-marts with just a few aisles of food that's not worth bothering with. But when I lived in WV I would go to the supercenters there from time to time if I needed a ton of groceries. I never did my regular shopping there though.
Old 11-03-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This is EASY for me. First off, I hate Wal-Mart's practices and think they are evil so I am biased, BUT I have given them a chance.

There is a new Super Wal-mart close to me (within 3 miles) and Super Targer (within 5 miles). I shopped at both.

Wal-Mart - lower class customers (just plain rude sometimes), cheap feel, bad parking, slow checkout lines, and HIGHER prices on some items (yes, thats right HIGHER!), less of a selection than a true grocery store.

Target - more middle class customers, not as much of a cheap feel to their products, parking seems easier, faster checkout lines and similar prices to Wal-Mart (I know cause Ive shopped at both for the same items), less of a selection than a true grocery store.

Basically, I hate Wal-mart even more now. I went there about 6 months ago just to grab some milk cause I was almost out. It was about 10pm at night.

Well, I got the milk and headed to the check out. Only a couple of the self-service checkouts were working and all of the open registers (most were closed) were full with 5-6 people deep.

While standing in line waiting for one of the only self checkouts, I was behind a lady and her husband self checking out 2 buggies full of items (it still looked like the fastest way out though)!!! Also, there was a kid screaming and crying in the line next to me and it wouldn't shut up.

A barefoot lady and her kids came up behind me to wait on my line also. Well, she yelled at the customer service person watching the self checkouts to open up another register (yes, she was very rude about it). Well, the rep pointed and said "The one right there is open". She pointed to the self checkout register right next to me, which had a closed sign on it (it would have been nice to know that!!!). The lady, short of pushing me out of the way, said, "EXCUSE ME!!" and when I turned around, she started scanning her items.

I was SOOOOOOOO pissed. I set the milk down right there and left.

Ive had other experiences at Wal-mart like this too!! So, I vowed to never go in there again and havent since.

In contrast, Ive had a couple of experiences at Target where someone asks me if I want to go ahead of them because they have a basket full of items while I only have one or two (never happened at Wal-Mart). The clientele at Target just seems friendlier and the atmosphere is nicer.

Also, for some reason, parking seems easier. I dont know why, but it always seemed like I was searching and searching for parking at Wal-Mart, while at Target, I easily would find one close to the front. Odd.
Old 11-03-05, 02:55 PM
Retired

Parking at wal-marts always suck. They're simply busier. They parking lots more full and the lines longer because more people shop their. Especially if you go a day or two after welfare checks come out.
Old 11-03-05, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Parking at wal-marts always suck. They're simply busier. They parking lots more full and the lines longer because more people shop their. Especially if you go a day or two after welfare checks come out.
Yeah, they do seem a bit more crowded, but I think its the layout of the parking lot too.

First off, Wal-Mart has alot more handicapped places and they are turned to face the store unlike most hanicapped parking places. Also, the regular parking places are angled whereas the ones are Target are not.

It also seems like the actual parking lot is further away from the store than the one at Target. Odd, but I did notice these things.

I do like the fact that the Wal-Mart close to me is 24hrs....I wish Target was also. But, that still doesn't attract me enough to shop at Wally world.

BTW - Something that I didn't mention in the last post. Wal-mart pricing is store/location based, they are not standard prices among the whole company. So, the price of an item at one Wal-Mart may not be the same at another.

They do that because they are greedy and realize that if there is no competition close, they dont have to automatically lower prices to compete.

For example, the one close to me is not close to Best Buy or an electronics store. So, most of the time, when I went to get a DVD, they were NOT
competitive on new releases.

As far as I know, Target does not do this.

Last edited by RockStrongo; 11-03-05 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-03-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
I always shop at Super Target, even though their prices are higher than Walmarts. It's those higher prices that keep the riff-raff out, which makes for a much more pleasant shopping experience.
Old 11-03-05, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by joeblow69
I always shop at Super Target, even though their prices are higher than Walmarts. It's those higher prices that keep the riff-raff out, which makes for a much more pleasant shopping experience.
Im right there with ya....Im serious though, sometimes their prices are not much higher and occasionally, I see the same price or cheaper than Wal-Mart. I think the Wal-Mart name is associated with lower prices when that is really not always the case.
Old 11-03-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
I by far prefer Target. For some reason, the last couple of places I've lived have had a Target and Walmart right across the street from each other. Amazing how much everyone's (or most) feelings about their Walmart matches mine.

It doesn't matter how good the neighborhood -- going into Walmart feels like I'm entering a slum. For some reason it always feels crowded (much more than Target). They make me feel like a criminal -- with their receipt inspection on the way out, and keeping all the DVDs behind locked glass. And it's not like the prices are that much better than Target. I just do my best to stay out of Walmart unless I absolutely can't avoid it.
Old 11-03-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Originally Posted by joeblow69
I will choose to take that as a personal insult. I challenge you to a duel at dawn. My "bond" smiley vs. your bulls eye.
Old 11-03-05, 05:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the best thing about Wal-Mart is watching 3 70+ year old people trying to run after someone because that buzzer went off at the front door as they were leaving.
Old 11-03-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
K-mart is the new T G & Y.

Wal-mart is the new K-Mart.

Target is the new Wal-mart.

The question is...who will be the new Target???
Pamida?
Old 11-03-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
Target WAS the new Gemco.

Wal-Mart does get the super-cheap DVD specials though, I've never seen Target do the same. That's about the only thing I go in there for, some of the customers they have there are amazing. I think they must put out a casting call each time they open a new store so every location will have some of "those" folk around
Old 11-03-05, 10:54 PM

Two Wal-Marts just opened within the past couple of months, that are within 20 minutes of each other. One is a Super Wal-Mart and its been opened a few months and its not that all bad, but it is very crowded all times of the day and has the rudest customers and the worst drivers. The other Wal-Mart opened the other day and when it opened I drived by and people were acting like they were in heaven or something. They had carts full of stuff. When I went in there it looked like the place was open for 20 years, crap all over the place, messy, no room to walk.

But there is one Target that is a bit farther than both but it's always clean and I dont feel like a dirtball while going in there. It's just a brighter and more friendlier place to go to. But one thing I wish Target would do is get rid of the Taco Bell and Pizza Hut inside. No matter where you are in the store it smells like Tacos and Pizza put together, which doesnt smell to good.
Old 11-03-05, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like shopping for groceries at Wal-Mart because the store layout makes sense to me.

Since the aisles run perpendicular to the front of the store, you can start at the back (with your drinks, which means putting them at the bottom of the cart where they won't squish other stuff) and work your way forward, ending at the frozen stuff which should probably be last on the trip anyway.

The Super Targets have their aisles going the way I like, but the layout isn't as good (frozen foods are in the back, drinks are about halfway through, etc).

The Wal-Mart prices are better than the grocery stores on the stuff that I normally buy (except for when those items are on sale at the grocery store), especially after the local grocery stores all raised their prices considerably after introducing those loyalty card things.

I find Target to be a more pleasant shopping experience, and I think their prices are competitive with Wal-Mart. But I don't have a problem with Wal-Mart (and, admittedly, my local Wal-Mart in West Plano is nicer than a lot of others I've been in, including some others in Plano... and I tend to go in the middle of the night when there's only one or two other shoppers in the store).
Old 11-07-05, 11:11 PM

Targets commericals are some of the coolest on TV.
Walmarts are kinda like "why even bother"

One problem Walmart shares with its sister SAMS is that the checkout lines can be very long. There can be six or more people deep and only a few registers are open. At the same time you see employees coming and going everywhere, like busy little bees, but to open up a new register!!!

I remember a few years ago Walmart had a sign that guaranteed not more than a 5 minute(I think it was 5) wait.

Target lines are almost always very short, 1-3(at most) people ahead of you.

Last edited by spawndude; 11-07-05 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-08-05, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I used to shop at Target for most things, simply because it was the easiest to get to. They do seem more friendly, and I think most of it is because the higher isles are on the outside edge of the store. The middle clothing area is shorter and more inviting. I don't feel like I'm in a maze.
I now do more of my shopping at Wal-Mart since the girlfriend works nights there. I don't buy too many groceries, though, since using coupons I can get things cheaper at grocery stores.

All in all, I like Target more, but I do more shopping at Wal-Mart.

Oh, and I've never once called it Tar-zhet.
Old 11-08-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
We have a Wal-Mart Marketplace grocery store just outside my neighborhood where we do all of our grocery shopping. It is like the anti-walmart. Clean, small, easy to find things, and never huge lines. Much different than the super Wal-Mart/grocery stores.
Old 11-08-05, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think we're all forgetting about K-Mart, which makes Wal-Mart look positively upscale. They took a shithole of a store and ran with it!
Old 11-08-05, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Target is clean and well lit, WalMart is crowded, dirty and always in complete chaos.

I never go to Walmart as a first choice.
Old 11-08-05, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I've biased since I worked at Target for some time when I was in college, but I've always preferred Target to the other 'Mart's. Although living in Orange County and then school in San Diego, there really wasn't a Walmart near me to frequent often anyway. I'd say i've only been to a Walmart a dozen times total.
Old 11-08-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll go to Wal-mart for the things that are cheaper, or the rare items that Target doesn't have - but other than that I'd chose Target every time. I much prefer it's open, inviting vibe to the cluttered claustrophobic feeling of being in Wal-mart.

I've also hardly ever had a long wait in line at a Traget - but I can't say the same thing about Wal-mart. The Supercenters can be even worse, sometimes - as there's no seperation of registers between the grocery and regular store. I had to stand in line behind 8 people the other day - which was the shortest line, no less - just to buy 2 items. Wouldn't even have bothered, if it wasn't for the fact they were running such a good deal on them ($4.88 DVDs).

One other thing that I don't think has been mentioned as a difference, are the sales people. The folks working at Wal-mart, I've found to be as clueless as they come. It's not even worth asking them a question about something - because they really don't know. Traget employees, on the other hand, I've found to be very helpful, and informative - and if they don't know about something, they at least have the sense enough to ask someone else working who might.
Old 11-09-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Sekots
The other Wal-Mart opened the other day and when it opened I drived by and people were acting like they were in heaven or something. years, crap all over the place, messy, no room to walk.

But there is one Target that is a bit farther than both but it's always clean and I dont feel like a dirtball while going in there. It's just a brighter and more friendlier place to go to.
Interesting. You sound like a Walmart stockholders' wet dream.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.