Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Unhappy experience buying used dvds at Digitaleyes

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 10-05-05, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently placed 2 orders at digitaleyes. One order was for around a dozen used dvds, the other was for several new dvds.

I have bought used (and new) dvds at digitaleyes before and they always arrived in great condition. I understand when buying used, that one shouldn't neccessarily expect copies in mint condition however I had two problems with my recent "used dvd" shopping experience at DE I wanted to share.

1) Almost all my used dvds had this unattractive torn off sticker located on the front of the case. It seems that DE used these stickers for some sorting/inventory code, however the stickers were highy adhesive and were peeled off rather sloppily apparently in haste, leaving half of the sticker and some hard to remove residue on the plastic cover.

It took me a few hours just to scrub the stickers off of the cases but no matter how gentle I was, the stickers still left some damage (dents, rings,
stickiness, etc...).

If it was just 1 or 2 dvds, it wouldn't have been a big deal, but pretty much all of them had this.
It's kind of upsetting because had it not been for these stickers most of the covers would still be in great condition. Had I known the original cases
were going to end up in such condition, and have to shell out extra for replacement covers, I would have definitely stuck to buying new.

2) One of the dvds I received was an ex-rental.
It came in a rental type keepcase (which had a sticker hidden under the cover artwork that said please be kind rewind) along with various pre-viewed stickers all over.

Did anyone know that DE sold ex-rentals? I wish they had at least a note somewhere on their site that informed buyers that their used dvd inventory may consist of ex-rentals.

I have already contacted DE last friday concerning both matters but have yet to hear back from them. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences buying used dvds from Digitaleyes?

PS: This thread is in no way an attack on DE. I was just disappointed when I received this particular order since I didn't have these problems with my previous orders, and wanted to know if any of these recent issues were experienced by other customers. Thankyou.
Old 10-05-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I imagine the ex-rental was something that someone had sole back ..not sure if they are picky about the type of case...and I imagine they may not even check under the cover artwork to see if there is stickers (heck I wouldn't..)

I would think as long as the ex-rental was in good condition, it wouldn't be any different than if you or I sold back used discs for them to sell, but my guess would be they probably just bought it from someone else..
Old 10-05-05, 02:25 PM

Yeah I'm pretty certain that the ex-rental was sold to them from a regular customer as part of their used dvd program but they should let buyers know that there is a possibility of receiving an ex-rental.

Although I don't have an unlimited budget I still like to collect dvds, but there are certain discs I try to avoid in my collection (bootlegs, imports and ex-rentals).
Old 10-05-05, 03:00 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can try Goo Gone to remove the sticker residue.
Old 10-06-05, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Goo Gone rules
Old 10-06-05, 09:56 PM

Bonkit,

Our policy on buying back used DVDs has not changed in many years. We buy back any DVD as long as they are in the original case and the disc is in perfect condition. We also guarantee all DVDs that we sell 100%. If there is ANYTHING that you are not happy with you are free to return them.

As for the sticker residue, I will check into this. I just purchased some used DVDs from our site and none had sticker residue. I have also not heard of this problem before. Please do not hesitate to e-mail me directly and I will look into this for you.
Old 10-06-05, 10:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One a completely seperate note, DigitalEyes setup makes my eyes hurt and not want to go there for movies.
Old 10-06-05, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
As for the Blockbuster retnal cases, I agree, I hate them. I usually replace them with a regular case which ends up costing me about $.99. I just figure it's part of cost of aquiring the disc.

And thanks to Marc from Digital Eyes for reading the Forum and stepping up to respond. That's good customer care!
Old 10-06-05, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by ilikebreakdowns
One a completely seperate note, DigitalEyes setup makes my eyes hurt and not want to go there for movies.
What part hurts your eyes? We are re-doing several parts of the site and I am open to suggestions.
Old 10-07-05, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by DigitalEyes
Bonkit,

Our policy on buying back used DVDs has not changed in many years. We buy back any DVD as long as they are in the original case and the disc is in perfect condition. We also guarantee all DVDs that we sell 100%. If there is ANYTHING that you are not happy with you are free to return them.

As for the sticker residue, I will check into this. I just purchased some used DVDs from our site and none had sticker residue. I have also not heard of this problem before. Please do not hesitate to e-mail me directly and I will look into this for you.
Mark, thanks for replying. I did send an email to digitaleyes last week and just received a reply saying that the note would be passed along to your warehouse.

I wish I could have taken a photo of the cases when I opened up the package but did not have access to a camera. The stickers just weren't properly peeled off before they left digitaleyes. It's like sticking an address label onto a kraft envelope and then quickly tearing it off. That's pretty much the condition of all the cases when they arrived and getting the remaining sticker parts plus the residue off the case was quite a hassle.

One of the movies I received as I mentioned was an exrental and definitely did not come in it's original case. Perhaps it was accidentally overlooked by someone at DE.

I don't mean to complain, I apreciate Digitaleyes and it's one of my favourite places to shop online. But I was very disappointed with this particular experience buying used dvds because I had to go out and buy a bunch of replacement cases because the original cases were damaged by those stickers. I have bought used dvds from Digitaleyes twice in the past and didn't have this problem at all so I was surprised with this one to say the least.

Btw, returning wouldn't be so simple, since I am from canada where shipping is generally 3times more than the US and I believe you don't have a prepaid return mailer for international. As well, I patiently waited 3 weeks for my order to arrive and paid a $40 customs on top of my dvds, so just returning them now would be a waste of time, energy and money on both sides.

I'll just hang onto the dvds since I've already replaced most of the cases. Again I want to re-iterate, I'm not putting Digitaleyes. I just wanted to share this experience and see if other members were having the same problem.

PS. Mark, on a separate note, will you soon be offering any express / priority shipping methods to canada? I'm finding that I'm getting billed customs for any order of 2 or more dvds from the US and find it taking an extra 1-2 weeks for orders to arrive because of this. Any info on new shipping methods?
Old 10-10-05, 03:54 PM

Hi Mark,

I love your site as a desitination for buying and selling used DVDs. I saw this post and was going to ride to your rescue when I realized the OP was correct!

The used stuff is always in great shape, but the entire last batch of used ones featured perfect disks and cases, but each case had that annoying leftover sticker. It turns almost mint used stuff into yucky used stuff (especially flippers). I can't imagine you'd take them back in trade from me.

Given your track record I'm sure you'll come up with a workaround.

Thanks
Old 10-11-05, 03:10 PM

I did some checking on this yesterday. It appears when they moved the used product in the warehouse, they stickered it with transfer stickers. Some of these left residue on the items. I have spoken with the receiving manager and he has assured me they will not do this again in the future. I am incredibly sorry for this problem. If anyone need replacement amarays please let me know and I will find some for you.
Old 10-11-05, 05:22 PM

I did some checking on this yesterday. It appears when they moved the used product in the warehouse, they stickered it with transfer stickers. Some of these left residue on the items. I have spoken with the receiving manager and he has assured me they will not do this again in the future. I am incredibly sorry for this problem. If anyone need replacement amarays please let me know and I will find some for you.

Email sent!
Glad this situation is being dealt with professionally.
Old 10-12-05, 03:47 PM

No problem Mark. Thanks for looking into it.
Old 10-20-05, 02:19 PM

Hey Mark, I sent you an email over a week and a half ago. Just wondering if you received it since I never got a reply.
Old 11-02-05, 12:46 PM

just an update still no reply from digitaleyes after 3 weeks...