Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

A question how TRU handles gift receipts?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 10-02-05, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Consider this recent buy 2 get one free promotion.
When someone takes in a receipt, do they get the full retail for the item or do does TRU take into account of the deal and what the person gets back will be less due to the sale?

Some back story.
Last week, I wanted giant Starscream and a friend was always looking for a Prime. So I got Prime and Starscream and my friend was getting the other Prime. So we divided up the $40 of Prime of what he owes me (something like $27 due to the sale).

Now he is thinking that because I got gift receipts, he can return his Prime and get $40. I say that TRU has to have thought of this and he will not get the $40 back on a gift card but will end up with the $27. If not, what is to stop people from returning the two items (that on the full receipt are marked as not free) and getting gift cards and keeping the other item and turn around buy 3 more and return those 2 and keeping the free item. Someone could scam TRU out of tons of stuff and they just end up with some $$ on gift cards.

NOTE: I am not the theoretical friend. I think the entire transaction is linked to each receipt and the sale be noted on what is returnedbecause what would happen if someone was given the 'free' item and went to exchange it and TRU took it back and they got nothing. "Thanks for the toy, see ya". Get set for angry parents.
Old 10-03-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,846 Likes on 1,431 Posts
They do keep track. This same scenario was heavily abused in the B2G1Free annual videogame sale a few years ago, where people would buy two games, get one free, then return the paid games. A few years ago they effectively put an end to this by marking in their systems what the deal is. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but you either have to return all the items in together, or you get a pro-rated portion back. In addition, you cannot return or exchange the free item by itself at all, unless you get a lenient clerk.
Old 10-03-05, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barnes & Noble does the same thing during their B2G1 free DVD sales in June. You have to do any returns/exchanges during the promotion period or not at all. Also I heard but can not verify (maybe only certain stores or clerks did this) but if you are going to exchange ti can only be done if you get 2 more so the B2G1 is still effective.

Again, with these types of promotions - any exchanges/returns will be extremely YMMV.