Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

One More Reason BestBuy Sucks! (Refer to Buying Mallrats DVD)

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 09-22-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I being irrational about this? I went to buy Mallrats 20th Anniversay and I went to use a 10.00 off coupon I recieved. I got the 10.00 off coupon b/c bestbuy sent me a the credit card with a missing number so they sent me that as a "sorry". Well I gave them my reward zone card and then the gift certificate. They tell me I can't use both the rewardzone price AND the gift certificate. I'm like WTF, you're kidding me right? She goes "since mallrats is normally 16.99, you're getting a special price of 14.99 and that counts as a "discount" already, so youc an't use the certificate b/c that rings up as a discount as well. I said your store really sucks and left.

Sure some may say, "quit complaining, you got a free 10.00 certificate" but it's the principal. What am I suppose to think " I'm sorry that I paid 10.00 to join your reward zone and now you're telling me that my "status" as a preferred customer bars me from using a certificate your stupid ass company issuued to me for a mistake on your part." Give me a break
Old 09-22-05, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts
Did you get a 'coupon' or a 'gift certificate' type thing?

Seems like semantics, but there's a difference. If you got a coupon, i would say that does count as an offer, and usually you can't combine offers [including RZ pricing]. If it was a gift certificate, gift card, or gift check, well, that's good as cash, and they should have taken it. Just like if you use a gift card or a RZ reward cert, those should stack with other deals/coupons/special pricing, because they *aren't* coupons.

Now, you certainly could still use the 'coupon' you just wouldn't get the RZ price. Ten free dollars is better than two dollars off. But I do see your point.
Old 09-22-05, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

its a 10.00 of coupon for any item at bestbuy. it's not a gift certificate, b/c they have to enter a sepcial code to "activate' the 10.00 off....grr...
Old 09-22-05, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd just say your BB is retarded. I've never had a problem using a coupon on a sale item, even when it says the discount is from the "non-sale" price. Their register always just takes it off automatically, or on occassion, they have to manually enter it.

I bet if you complain, you might be able to get another gift certificate/gift card/whatever and have the same problem all over again!
Old 09-22-05, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 319 Likes on 242 Posts
Mallrats 20th Anniversary?? Boy, time really does go fast!
Old 09-22-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Shagrath
I'd just say your BB is retarded. I've never had a problem using a coupon on a sale item, even when it says the discount is from the "non-sale" price. Their register always just takes it off automatically, or on occassion, they have to manually enter it.

I bet if you complain, you might be able to get another gift certificate/gift card/whatever and have the same problem all over again!
Wasn't there something in Best Buy's system that prevents two "coupons" from stacking? I seem to vaguely recall something to that effect.

It's not so much that it's a sale item, it's that using the Reward Zone membership is already taking off $2 from the sale price, and this would be stacking another $10 off on it.

I'm not sure... just guessing...
Old 09-22-05, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Reward Zone pricing is not an "offer" (in that sense of the word), it's
the price given to those who have bought into their Rewards Program.
I (politely) argued this with a customer service clerk at my local store
and when the manager came over he told the clerk the same thing.

Never take the cashier's word at face value on instances like this
as some will tell you some absurd things that qualify as doubling up...
like how you can't use 2 reward zone certificate on the same item,
or how you can't use a reward zone certificate on a price match...
Old 09-24-05, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shagrath

yeah you do have to enter it manually and I even asked the dumb whore... I mean nice saleslady if she could do it, knowing full well she can, cuz they've done it in the past for me but her answer was "no, it's corporate policy". So i'm like whatever and left.
Old 09-24-05, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
Reward Zone pricing is not an "offer" (in that sense of the word), it's
the price given to those who have bought into their Rewards Program.
I (politely) argued this with a customer service clerk at my local store
and when the manager came over he told the clerk the same thing.

Never take the cashier's word at face value on instances like this
as some will tell you some absurd things that qualify as doubling up...
like how you can't use 2 reward zone certificate on the same item,
or how you can't use a reward zone certificate on a price match...
well this wasn' t the cashier but the customer service lady and she's a stubborn mule, so I figure I wouldn't even bother dealing with her. The way I got around this last time was that I told them I could bring in a price match from circuit city and THEN I could use a coupon and that' when the manager guy said "oh....okay, I guess". So they can totally do it, they just like to be stubborn assess sometimes....
Old 09-24-05, 11:26 AM

When I purchased Mallrats this week the price was $16.99 even after I used my RewardZone card. I didn't use any certificates.
Old 09-26-05, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by ScottsDvds
When I purchased Mallrats this week the price was $16.99 even after I used my RewardZone card. I didn't use any certificates.
I had to fight with the clerk at my BB because it rang up 16.99. I told him it was in the ad for $14.99, but it didn't ring up that way. It could have been because I bought Desperate Housewives because it had a similar deal.
Old 09-26-05, 05:53 PM

I had a similar problem with Desperate Housewives and I just went over to the customer service desk to get my extra $3 & change.
Old 09-26-05, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I sincerely hope that you didn't have the attitude of "dumb whore" and "stubborn mule" when you were arguing your case there.
Old 09-26-05, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ispep Aloc
I had to fight with the clerk at my BB because it rang up 16.99. I told him it was in the ad for $14.99, but it didn't ring up that way. It could have been because I bought Desperate Housewives because it had a similar deal.
I had Desperate Housewives and The Longest Yard on the same receipt. I had to go over to customer service to fix it...
Old 09-27-05, 03:29 AM

agreed, the majority of Best Buys/best buy employees I've been to and encountered have been pretty assholish...i'd gladly prefer circuit city take my money