Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

One More Reason BestBuy Sucks! (Refer to Buying Mallrats DVD)

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

One More Reason BestBuy Sucks! (Refer to Buying Mallrats DVD)

Old 09-22-05, 04:51 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: My Apartment
Posts: 1,116
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One More Reason BestBuy Sucks! (Refer to Buying Mallrats DVD)

Am I being irrational about this? I went to buy Mallrats 20th Anniversay and I went to use a 10.00 off coupon I recieved. I got the 10.00 off coupon b/c bestbuy sent me a the credit card with a missing number so they sent me that as a "sorry". Well I gave them my reward zone card and then the gift certificate. They tell me I can't use both the rewardzone price AND the gift certificate. I'm like WTF, you're kidding me right? She goes "since mallrats is normally 16.99, you're getting a special price of 14.99 and that counts as a "discount" already, so youc an't use the certificate b/c that rings up as a discount as well. I said your store really sucks and left.

Sure some may say, "quit complaining, you got a free 10.00 certificate" but it's the principal. What am I suppose to think " I'm sorry that I paid 10.00 to join your reward zone and now you're telling me that my "status" as a preferred customer bars me from using a certificate your stupid ass company issuued to me for a mistake on your part." Give me a break
Old 09-22-05, 05:00 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Posts: 9,409
Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts
Did you get a 'coupon' or a 'gift certificate' type thing?

Seems like semantics, but there's a difference. If you got a coupon, i would say that does count as an offer, and usually you can't combine offers [including RZ pricing]. If it was a gift certificate, gift card, or gift check, well, that's good as cash, and they should have taken it. Just like if you use a gift card or a RZ reward cert, those should stack with other deals/coupons/special pricing, because they *aren't* coupons.

Now, you certainly could still use the 'coupon' you just wouldn't get the RZ price. Ten free dollars is better than two dollars off. But I do see your point.
Old 09-22-05, 05:18 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: My Apartment
Posts: 1,116
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its a 10.00 of coupon for any item at bestbuy. it's not a gift certificate, b/c they have to enter a sepcial code to "activate' the 10.00 off....grr...
Old 09-22-05, 06:02 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Shagrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 7,383
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd just say your BB is retarded. I've never had a problem using a coupon on a sale item, even when it says the discount is from the "non-sale" price. Their register always just takes it off automatically, or on occassion, they have to manually enter it.

I bet if you complain, you might be able to get another gift certificate/gift card/whatever and have the same problem all over again!
Old 09-22-05, 08:43 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 10,389
Received 319 Likes on 242 Posts
Mallrats 20th Anniversary?? Boy, time really does go fast!
Old 09-22-05, 10:06 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Shagrath
I'd just say your BB is retarded. I've never had a problem using a coupon on a sale item, even when it says the discount is from the "non-sale" price. Their register always just takes it off automatically, or on occassion, they have to manually enter it.

I bet if you complain, you might be able to get another gift certificate/gift card/whatever and have the same problem all over again!
Wasn't there something in Best Buy's system that prevents two "coupons" from stacking? I seem to vaguely recall something to that effect.

It's not so much that it's a sale item, it's that using the Reward Zone membership is already taking off $2 from the sale price, and this would be stacking another $10 off on it.

I'm not sure... just guessing...
Old 09-22-05, 11:15 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Brooklyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,260
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reward Zone pricing is not an "offer" (in that sense of the word), it's
the price given to those who have bought into their Rewards Program.
I (politely) argued this with a customer service clerk at my local store
and when the manager came over he told the clerk the same thing.

Never take the cashier's word at face value on instances like this
as some will tell you some absurd things that qualify as doubling up...
like how you can't use 2 reward zone certificate on the same item,
or how you can't use a reward zone certificate on a price match...
Old 09-24-05, 01:39 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: My Apartment
Posts: 1,116
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shagrath
I'd just say your BB is retarded. I've never had a problem using a coupon on a sale item, even when it says the discount is from the "non-sale" price. Their register always just takes it off automatically, or on occassion, they have to manually enter it.

I bet if you complain, you might be able to get another gift certificate/gift card/whatever and have the same problem all over again!

yeah you do have to enter it manually and I even asked the dumb whore... I mean nice saleslady if she could do it, knowing full well she can, cuz they've done it in the past for me but her answer was "no, it's corporate policy". So i'm like whatever and left.
Old 09-24-05, 01:40 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: My Apartment
Posts: 1,116
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brooklyn
Reward Zone pricing is not an "offer" (in that sense of the word), it's
the price given to those who have bought into their Rewards Program.
I (politely) argued this with a customer service clerk at my local store
and when the manager came over he told the clerk the same thing.

Never take the cashier's word at face value on instances like this
as some will tell you some absurd things that qualify as doubling up...
like how you can't use 2 reward zone certificate on the same item,
or how you can't use a reward zone certificate on a price match...
well this wasn' t the cashier but the customer service lady and she's a stubborn mule, so I figure I wouldn't even bother dealing with her. The way I got around this last time was that I told them I could bring in a price match from circuit city and THEN I could use a coupon and that' when the manager guy said "oh....okay, I guess". So they can totally do it, they just like to be stubborn assess sometimes....
Old 09-24-05, 11:26 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TC, MI
Posts: 735
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I purchased Mallrats this week the price was $16.99 even after I used my RewardZone card. I didn't use any certificates.
Old 09-26-05, 05:50 PM
  #11  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 198
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottsDvds
When I purchased Mallrats this week the price was $16.99 even after I used my RewardZone card. I didn't use any certificates.
I had to fight with the clerk at my BB because it rang up 16.99. I told him it was in the ad for $14.99, but it didn't ring up that way. It could have been because I bought Desperate Housewives because it had a similar deal.
Old 09-26-05, 05:53 PM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 50
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar problem with Desperate Housewives and I just went over to the customer service desk to get my extra $3 & change.
Old 09-26-05, 09:49 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I sincerely hope that you didn't have the attitude of "dumb whore" and "stubborn mule" when you were arguing your case there.
Old 09-26-05, 10:18 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TC, MI
Posts: 735
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ispep Aloc
I had to fight with the clerk at my BB because it rang up 16.99. I told him it was in the ad for $14.99, but it didn't ring up that way. It could have been because I bought Desperate Housewives because it had a similar deal.
I had Desperate Housewives and The Longest Yard on the same receipt. I had to go over to customer service to fix it...
Old 09-27-05, 03:29 AM
  #15  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 205
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
agreed, the majority of Best Buys/best buy employees I've been to and encountered have been pretty assholish...i'd gladly prefer circuit city take my money

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.