Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Studios make Blockbuster pay for DVD releases up front (AND in cash)

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Studios make Blockbuster pay for DVD releases up front (AND in cash)

Old 09-07-05, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I really wish there was the option for $0.99 24-hour rentals on any title. I really don't like this, $4.75 9-14day rental thing. I would rent a lot more on a $0.99 plan."

I think that is what they need to do. I know I would be back renting for .99 a day. Right now I can get DVDs from 2.99 to 4.99. So blockbuster, why would I rent when I can own for a few dollars more. If I buy anything more expensive it's because I REALLY want it.

If they went out of business the only thing I would miss would be finding OOP DVDs.
Old 09-07-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nightmaster
Ridiculous. Why spend $5-ish to rent a movie when you can own it for $15? Overcharging rental fees isn't going to put them back in the black, only drive people to the competition in the cities where there ARE competitors.
They aren't doing this to attract customers, they are doing this because they are being charged more per rental unit. Because their stock is so weak right now, they no longer have the buying power they used to have, and they are being charged more for the rental product they get.
Old 09-08-05, 09:04 AM
Political Exile

Received 485 Likes on 320 Posts
A simplified rental and late fee plan is all the company needs, something like $1.99 for 2 days, 99 cents every day after that. The could market it like the no late fees plan, but instead as "need the movie for another day, don't worry, it's only 99 cents!". I just don't understand needing 2 week rentals for movies, it just doesn't make sense at all.
Old 09-08-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts
The Red Box will destroy all in it's path.
Old 09-08-05, 11:10 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
On the contrary, here in NYC they're really the only place to rent from. We only have a couple of Hollywood videos that I can even think of. If they go under, I'm fucked.
Initially, but I'm guessing you'd have stores popping up to fill that void in no time. And probably better ones, too.
Old 09-08-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PerryD
A simplified rental and late fee plan is all the company needs, something like $1.99 for 2 days, 99 cents every day after that. The could market it like the no late fees plan, but instead as "need the movie for another day, don't worry, it's only 99 cents!". I just don't understand needing 2 week rentals for movies, it just doesn't make sense at all.
Can they even do that again? They got sued for their late fee polcies before, which is why all they could do after that was charge per rental period after that.
Old 09-08-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
That's actually an excellent idea! Quite brilliant actually.

Can someone forward this idea to the DOM of BB?
Old 09-11-05, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 227 Likes on 183 Posts
The only problem I have with Blockbuster closing down is everyone from that store would walk across the street to my Hollywood Video. At the moment it's pretty easy to find a movie to watch, but that could all change.

Like someone said, though, other stores would pop up. It just may take a while.
Old 09-11-05, 01:45 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
It won'r work. Think about it.

Normal customer comes in, rents movie, returns 5 days later. Rents another, returns 5 days later. Repeat.

Now you want...
Rent movie, return next day. Rent movie, return next day. etc....

This is too much work for the employees, meaning they would have to ring up more customers, check in/out more movies, and put more movies backon the shelves. Therefore they would need to hire MORE employees, and lose even MORE money. I worked for this shithole company for about 6 months and god I hope they go under. I will be there as big blue sinks into Hollywood Video/Movie Gallery
Old 09-12-05, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 227 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
It won'r work. Think about it.

Normal customer comes in, rents movie, returns 5 days later. Rents another, returns 5 days later. Repeat.

Now you want...
Rent movie, return next day. Rent movie, return next day. etc....

This is too much work for the employees, meaning they would have to ring up more customers, check in/out more movies, and put more movies backon the shelves. Therefore they would need to hire MORE employees, and lose even MORE money. I worked for this shithole company for about 6 months and god I hope they go under. I will be there as big blue sinks into Hollywood Video/Movie Gallery
So what about people like me (although I'm at HV, not BB) who have the monthly rental plan? I pay $10 a month, and am in there just about every day exchanging movies. That's something like 12 or 15 movies a week, just from me.

How much work is it to check in a movie and then check out another? I think it takes my cashiers all of 2 min to make sure there are 6 discs in 6 boxes, check in 3, check out 3, and walk the movies to the other side of the security sensor.

The money BB would make by lowering prices and having a better selection would more than offset the costs of having a cashier check in and out more movies. Of course, BB will have to fight their tarnished image, which will never happen with just about everyone who has been burned.
Old 09-13-05, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
In some cases, such as with Paramount Home Entertainment’s The Longest Yard, specific deals have had to be worked out before the studio would ship the title to Blockbuster. That title has now shipped.
That's really sad because BBV and Paramount are both owned by Viacom. If your sister company doesn't even trust you, who will?

I also agree that Red Box is signaling BBV's death. $1 a night, good selection of new releases, and you can return it to any other Red Box.
Old 09-13-05, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Booth
That's really sad because BBV and Paramount are both owned by Viacom. If your sister company doesn't even trust you, who will?
Not anymore. Viacom broke it off with BBV a while ago now. They probably would have never allowed the "end of late fees" bs either. Vicaom saw they were no longer a viable company before the end of the late fees, but I doubt that if they stayed owner of them they would have allowed them to get rid of a huge chunk of annual income with no real plan to recoup that loss.

I am betting that these conflicts with Paramount and BBV are because of the break.

Analyists are now predicting that BBV won't last until the end of the year. They had to pay cash up front for hit movies like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Longest Yard, greatly reducing the number of titles they would have previously secured on credit alone. They will also have to do this with Batman Begins and Revenge of the Sith. This means less than a hundred copies, even in most high traffic stores, of each title, which means less in stock, which means the big titles they thought would make them money won't make them anything at all, and should drive disgruntled customers even further away from them.

Last edited by calhoun07; 09-13-05 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-17-05, 08:57 PM

Damn, I work at Blockbuster and I had NO idea they waerehated this much by my fellow boardies...
Old 10-17-05, 10:23 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was just at Blockbuster and asked about 'Land of the Dead'. Indeed they are not getting it in stores due to a tiff with Universal over pre-payment. The cashier also told me that Blockbuster recently forced all stores to cut their cash-register stores to 1/2 (what they used for change) because the cash was needed to pre-purchase the movies.

He said he would not be surprised if they didn't make it past the month.
Old 10-17-05, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mbs
... The cashier also told me that Blockbuster recently forced all stores to cut their cash-register stores to 1/2 (what they used for change) because the cash was needed to pre-purchase the movies.

He said he would not be surprised if they didn't make it past the month.
Hmmm .... I still have about $25 store credit left from the Great Trade-In - maybe it would be wise to use it now.
Old 10-18-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

After telling me they won't be getting Land of the Dead, the Blockbuster lady says "I heard it's not that good of a movie anyway, so maybe it's not such a bad thing"

Between this and the fact they've pushed the online rental thing so much every single time I go in (signs everywhere!), you do have to wonder about their B&M future.
Old 10-18-05, 11:33 AM

yup no land of the dead at my 2 local blockbusters i don't want to buy it i just want to see it dam u blockbuster for making all the mom and pop video stores close near me

Last edited by madgame; 10-18-05 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-18-05, 12:46 PM

Hmm, and here I was thinking of switching to Blockbuster (from Rogers Video). Guess I won't be doing that. Oh well, no big loss. Haven't even actually rented (with my card) for a few years.
Old 10-18-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts
Well, I won't miss 'em if they are gone. I stopped renting from national chains when they went to the $4-5 range for movies. I'm doing just fine going to the McD's Red Box or The New Release kiosk at my local Kroger. $1 a day is much better for me since, when I rent a movie, I watch it that night.

Like others have said, if they instituted a $1 a day rental structure, I'd be back and renting all the older movies that the automated rental kiosks don't have.
Old 10-18-05, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Blockbuster...
Old 10-23-05, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 617 Likes on 443 Posts
land of the dead isnt the only uni title.
rise to power the preql to carlito's way was another.
Old 10-23-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yup, no LOTD at my Blockbuster either, but the girl there told me it was because Blockbuster was trying a new way of releasing movies and only offering it on their online rental service for the first month of its release before putting it into their stores. Smells untrue cause it makes no sense.
Old 10-23-05, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Yup, no LOTD at my Blockbuster either, but the girl there told me it was because Blockbuster was trying a new way of releasing movies and only offering it on their online rental service for the first month of its release before putting it into their stores. Smells untrue cause it makes no sense.

BBV employees try to make up lies to avoid making the corporation look like total asses, but the truth of the matter is Universal isn't giving any more credit to BBV to stock titles, and they are requiring cash up front. BBV doesn't have the cash. The reason they got what they have with other titles is because they had stores do massive pulles of retail Universal titles to return for credit in exchange for the rental copies, but that method will soon loose steam.
Old 10-24-05, 01:06 AM
Political Exile

I was looking for LOTD at my local BB and they said they didn't know why it wasn't in stock. I hope they don't go out of business. I would have to drive about 30 min to the nearest video rental. Besides burning up mucho $ in gas that would be like an hour and a half or more just to rent a dvd figuring in dvd perusal time and waiting on line. I haven't liked using the mail for my dvd rentals either. BB made a big mistake letting letting go of late fees. They could have reduced the fee structure and still accomplished whatever they want to do. I used to have a rent one dvd at a time for as long as you want it movie pass for $14.99 a month. Then they raised it to $20.00 and I had to change stores anyway since I moved. The new BB would only sell the 2 at a time movie pass for $24.99 and its gone up only 60 days later to $27.99 a month. One girl at BB I was talking to said folks are cancelling in droves. I'll be doing so also for at least a couple of months and use netflix until I see whats up.
Old 10-24-05, 02:11 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
None of my local Blockbusters have the Family Guy movie, but I noticed they have it for rental online.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.