Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster to Raise Subscription Price

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 08-09-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blockbuster stock lost nearly 10 percent in early trading Tuesday after the company announced it lost $57.2 million, or 31 cents per share, in the second quarter ended June 30 and will hike its Blockbuster Online subscription price from $14.99 to match Netflix’s $17.99-per-month rate for a three-out subscription plan.
source: http://www.homemediaretailing.com/in...=2&newsid=7867

not a subscriber, but I wonder what Amazon is going to do now since Wired.com is reporting that Amazon is hiring programmers for online dvd rental stuff. May lure some people in with low prices..

http://www.wired.com/news/ebiz/0,127...w=wn_tophead_2
Old 08-09-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts
Well, I won't say I'm happy about the increase, but I did see it coming. As long as they continue giving two in-store rentals per month, I'll stick with BBO. If not, well, then maybe back to Netflix.
Old 08-09-05, 01:38 PM

This kills it for me. It's bad enough DVDs take 2-3 days to get here when I live about an hour away from one of their distribution centers.
Old 08-09-05, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,846 Likes on 1,431 Posts
Quick question... do they charge tax on the subscription? Finally got billed for a month, and it was 15 + change or something like that...
Old 08-09-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well if they do that I will switch back to Netflix. Only reason I have put up with Blockbuster was because they were 3 dollars cheaper. I am still waiting for their Postoffice notification system to be put in place.
Old 08-09-05, 02:33 PM
mbs

Originally Posted by fujishig
Quick question... do they charge tax on the subscription? Finally got billed for a month, and it was 15 + change or something like that...
Yes, both Netflix and BB.com charge sales tax.
Old 08-09-05, 02:36 PM
mbs

I was told this morning that the Blockbuster B&M's were also increasing their "Movie Pass" rates. However, my store manager did not having pricing yet. Said to expect a letter in the mail.
Old 08-09-05, 02:39 PM

Damn and I just signed up with Blockbuster because they were cheaper.
Old 08-09-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Their Movie Pass rates already seem skyhigh, especially given the poor selection and the fact that it's only good at one store [IIRC].
I used to never have a problem with shipping, I'd get something sent out a day after I returned the previous one, and recieve the new one two days after that. However, those cheapass envelopes they use, at least once every two months a title gets opened in shipping and sent right back to them, so my effective turnaround to get that title again is over a week.
Old 08-09-05, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mbs
I was told this morning that the Blockbuster B&M's were also increasing their "Movie Pass" rates. However, my store manager did not having pricing yet. Said to expect a letter in the mail.
I heard they were going up five bucks. The one out at a time will be 19.99 per month and two out at a time will be 29.99 per month. For those still with three out at a time, I am not sure if it will rise from 34.99 to 39.99 per month, though.

I think they realized they lost money on this and are just trying to wash their hands of it.
Old 08-09-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pilot
source: [url] Amazon is hiring programmers for online dvd rental stuff.
That's good news. Amazon.uk has been doing that for ages. Of course, what I really want is to be able to rent UK discs in the US.
Old 08-09-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How's this for spin:

"Congratulations dtcarson,

Your BLOCKBUSTER Online Membership™ is now a better value than ever before.

As you may have heard, we will be raising the price of our rental plans beginning August 19, 2005. "

Um, okay.

"You are not affected by this price change. As we promised when you signed up, your price for this plan is guaranteed through January 31, 2006. "

Oh, that makes sense. I'm saving even more, because they're upping the price for everybody else/new.

"Here is your current membership information.

Your Current Plan: 3 at a time
Your Current Price: $14.99 (plus tax)

Over the next year, you can expect us to open even more distribution points to help with shipping times. We continue to bring in more titles on DVD with even more copies so the movies you want are available when you want them."

That's good, of course.

"And in appreciation for your continued loyalty, we are introducing the first of our exclusive BLOCKBUSTER Online FREE offers. Look for additional exclusive free offers in upcoming months.

THIS MONTH: GET A PREVIOUSLY VIEWED DVD FREE
Take home Denzel Washington in Out of Time, Johnny Depp in Once Upon a Time in Mexico or even Sean Penn's award-winning turn in Mystic River. These or other memorable titles can be yours this month for FREE. Just print the FREE Previously Viewed DVD e-coupon now available in your account. Valid at participating BLOCKBUSTER® Stores (see coupon for complete terms). Check here for the most up-to-date list of eligible titles. "

Hmm..A value of probably what, 7.99 or so, but hey, 'free' is good. I don't buy much used stuff from BBV, but I'll certainly take free. Assuming the list is not too limited.

"We realize that you have a choice when it comes to home entertainment, and we appreciate that you have chosen us. "

And that's good too. Keep the competitive marketplace in mind, and make your product attractive. I'm all for that. I can deal with a price increase if service/benefits go up as well.
Old 08-09-05, 11:01 PM

^^Just received that same email.
Old 08-09-05, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
So now they will probably lose a lot of those people who signed up because "hey, it's a few bucks cheaper than Netflix - let's give it a try", and have removed the incentive for choosing BB over Netflix.

When was the last time Blockbuster made an intelligent business decision?
Old 08-09-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But they're probably hoping for the stickiness--many of those folks who tried BBO because it was cheaper, now that it'll be the same price, BBO hopes they will think "Well, BBO has been okay, and I don't want to go thru the hassle of rejoining, it's the same price, and they give coupons, let's just stick with BBO."
The [percieved] incentives are the in-store coupons, which may or may not matter to a lot of people. Another is the ease of staying with the company you're currently with; unless someone has had a bad time with BBO [which admittedly some have], they're probably not likely to switch to another company that has a very similar inventory, and the same price points.
While of course I don't want to pay more, I did think that their original price point of 14.99 was way too cheap, even when trying to compete. BBO has got name recognition and a brand presence in the eyes of the 'average Joe'; I thought they could have undercut NF by just a buck or two and get a lot of business. Now, even though 17.99 is still competitive, it "seems" worse when people compare it to the price they previously paid.
Old 08-10-05, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by mbs

does anyone know what the new prices for the movie pass will be? or when it will start
Old 08-10-05, 04:44 AM

Here's an interesting article....

Forbes/blockbuster
Old 08-10-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Considering games cost 6.99 to rent, $17 is still a good price point to me with the 3 at a time and two in-store rentals. For the last two months I've been using both Netflix and Blockbuster to see who I liked better, and really ... they were pretty much the same. The only difference was that when Netflix received and then mailed DVDs, I got them the next day. Of course it still took about 2-3 days after I mailed them (same as Blockbuster) to be received, and they started holding one disc of my shipment each time, where I would (purposefully) get two discs on Friday and the third on Monday.

Something interesting about Blockbuster ... I've noticed getting older titles that are actually stamped and are addressed to stores, not distribution centers. These discs are always checked in next day when returned.
Old 08-10-05, 12:21 PM
Suspended

Got a postcard last night saying that my MoviePass is going from $14.99 per month to $19.99 a month on August 15th. Back to Netflix for me.
Old 08-10-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did they change the wording on their signup lately so that they could raise the price? I joined a few months ago but got a similar email, except it said that they are raising my price.
Old 08-10-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by dtcarson
But they're probably hoping for the stickiness--many of those folks who tried BBO because it was cheaper, now that it'll be the same price, BBO hopes they will think "Well, BBO has been okay, and I don't want to go thru the hassle of rejoining, it's the same price, and they give coupons, let's just stick with BBO."
Took the words out of my mouth. I still like visitng Netflix's site for the user reviews (BBO has virtually NO customer participation, nor do they encourage it much..) and release dates, but I've been relatively happy with my BB service. The selection is decent, ship times fast and they don't sit on my queue for a day before a new title goes out. Netflix was notorious for that unruly behavior. The coupons and special pre-viewed deals are icing on the cake. BB just needs to keep that website current and get upcoming DVD's listed on their site sooner - to date, Six Feet Under Season Four (releases this month) still isn't in the 'system' there...it bugs because I like to shoot coming soon titles to #1 before each Tuesday.
Old 08-10-05, 02:25 PM

Cancelled mine cause of the price increase. Might try Netflix. Might not.
Old 08-10-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by warrenheart
does anyone know what the new prices for the movie pass will be? or when it will start
I sure as hell don't know.
Old 08-10-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig
Did they change the wording on their signup lately so that they could raise the price? I joined a few months ago but got a similar email, except it said that they are raising my price.
I believe so. When I signed up [around New Year's], it said in big letters, "Price Guaranteed until Jan 2006!".

I don't have any big problems with BBO, other than the crappy envelopes.
I wish their website let you 'Open in New Tab' on a title in your Queue, but all the other stuff that Netflix's site did, is extraneous and not really meaningful to me. If I'm paying the same price, I'd rather have two free instore rentals [I use for games, which someone said earlier, are 7 bucks each] than a bunch of relatively pointless [imho] website features.
If I *consistently* get massive delays in shipment, sure, I'll try NF again. But BBO's inventory has gotten a lot better since I joined, and I have no complaints with their ship times.

I do agree that I wish BBO would get newer titles on their sooner--I think NF even puts them on before they're released, but BBO doesn't have Pete and Pete, Muppet Show, or Undeclared yet, last I checked.
Old 08-10-05, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope they raise the price of the gamer pass soon. Only because it's wiped out the videogame stock at my local BB! I'm lucky if I can find something I want to play in stock; usually I settle for whatever is newest that they still have in. Ugh.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.