Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

WANTED : New Canadian R1 DVD online store NOW !

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 08-05-05, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WANTED : New Canadian r1 DVD online store NOW !!

Wanted by DVD buyers from around the world - well - mainly Australia and the UK - is a BRAND NEW CANADIAN REGION 1 ONLINE STORE / RETAILER.

With DVDSoon failing in the last few months - and its constant changing - the time is RIPE FOR A NEW ONLINE STORE.

You need to have GOOD PRICES and RELIABLE STOCK / SHIPPING (sorry - that cancels out DVDBoxOffice with it's prices - and DVDImport with everything !!! - AND we wont mention Amazon Canada - can someone explain to them that standard shipping to Australia DOESN'T COME BY BOAT AND TAKE 3 MTHS TO GET THERE !!!!)

Customers will be prepared to pay for reasonable shipping costs (sorry - US R1 retailers : DVDEmpire is OVER PRICED TO THE MAX !!! DeepDiscountDVD is OK)

Essential Requirements :

Communication : Must be able to communicate to their customers - and English is becoming somewhat essential in business with the world.

Stock / Orders : Must be able to FULFILL - and not take SEVERAL MONTHS !!

Prices : Prices must be REASONABLE - NOT OVERPRICED / NOT UNDERPRICED (meaning that you will totally undercut the market - try for a big share - and then stuff it up at a later stage !!)

IS THERE ANYONE OVER IN CANADA(OR EVEN THE U.S) UP FOR THE CHALLENGE ???
Old 08-05-05, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

not sure if I should close this or not, as it's probably useless, but why do/did a lot of the EU countries (and elsewhere) buy from dvdsoon? Was it just for the worldwide free shipping? .. I think that the days of dvdsoon are obviously over, but I don't think anyone else out there ships (free) worldwide with those types of prices, nor do I really think anyone else can do what dvdsoon did.. If they were so successful, they wouldn't be in the problem they are in now, so even if someone "steps" up, it won't last, as dvdsoon (I imagine) was losing $ for what they did offer...I know there's the one that HK e-tailer that ships free, but their prices aren't that great (and they don't have ALOT of stuff)

just my opinions and stuff, and but I doubt there's going to be someone who will come along and replace what dvdsoon did for those who use(d) them..
Old 08-05-05, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by pilot
not sure if I should close this or not, as it's probably useless, but why do/did a lot of the EU countries (and elsewhere) buy from dvdsoon? Was it just for the worldwide free shipping? .. I think that the days of dvdsoon are obviously over, but I don't think anyone else out there ships (free) worldwide with those types of prices, nor do I really think anyone else can do what dvdsoon did.. If they were so successful, they wouldn't be in the problem they are in now, so even if someone "steps" up, it won't last, as dvdsoon (I imagine) was losing $ for what they did offer...I know there's the one that HK e-tailer that ships free, but their prices aren't that great (and they don't have ALOT of stuff)

just my opinions and stuff, and but I doubt there's going to be someone who will come along and replace what dvdsoon did for those who use(d) them..
As an Administrator to these forums I would have thought that there is a need for further business and competition in the R1 market. The market in DVDs isn't solely based around 'your own' region (in my case Region 4). It's a worldwide market !!!

The question you asked ' why do we from Down Under and the UK/UE buy from them?? The main reasons - PRICE AND FREE SHIPPING !!!

The HK store that you noted - CD WOW - is used by guys from Australia - however as u pointed out - their catelogue aint that expansive.

Have a look at these forums : DVDPLAZA.COM.AU (for DVDSoon 'comments) - and the same with DVD-SWAPS.CO.UK (for the same UK comments) - and you will see what we all think about DVDSoon - and gather from that there is a real lot of purchasing power which is going to start looking around for somewhere else to buy.

It's going to be a question of WHERE and WHO wants this business !!!
Old 08-05-05, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As an Administrator to these forums I would have thought that there is a need for further business and competition in the R1 market. The market in DVDs isn't solely based around 'your own' region (in my case Region 4). It's a worldwide market !!!
I definately agree there is a need for further business and competition in the R1 marketplace. I didn't mean that the thread is worthless, but personally didn't think someone would "step up" ..that is all..

The question you asked ' why do we from Down Under and the UK/UE buy from them?? The main reasons - PRICE AND FREE SHIPPING !!!
I figured that...

The HK store that you noted - CD WOW - is used by guys from Australia - however as u pointed out - their catelogue aint that expansive.
that's it..couldn't remember..was too lazy to check

Have a look at these forums : DVDPLAZA.COM.AU (for DVDSoon 'comments) - and the same with DVD-SWAPS.CO.UK (for the same UK comments) - and you will see what we all think about DVDSoon - and gather from that there is a real lot of purchasing power which is going to start looking around for somewhere else to buy.
I've been checking out dvd-swaps ..I myself have two orders at dvdsoon which have not been sent and I'm a bit mad myself ..as well as the others..I told Geoff here to remove them from our list of places to shop from..

again I didn't mean to say this thread was worthless, but I just don't think there is enough money for a company to do what dvdsoon does.
Old 08-06-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,189 Likes on 1,494 Posts
It just strikes me funny that people from other countries are demanding a new DVD retailer here in Canada. (I do realize the attraction though, because our prices are so good)
Old 08-07-05, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by cultshock
It just strikes me funny that people from other countries are demanding a new DVD retailer here in Canada. (I do realize the attraction though, because our prices are so good)

I - and many others - don't think that its 'funny' when a certain Canadian DVD store takes your money for an order, fails to secure the order, 'cancels' the order after failing to get it in, and then makes it difficult to get a refund of money !!

My original 'sarcastic' post was directed at of course DVDSoon.

Note also - that the OTHER COUNTRIES of this world seek out Region 1 DVDs - as it basically has the most number of releases, and that local releases will NEVER get out the same amount of titles. And unlike most of the US/Canada - here in Australia - PAL and NTSC are NON ISSUES - as are region coding. If we want a title - the world is our oyster.

But seriously - the failure of DVDSoon has left OPEN an opportunity for 'someone else' to get their previously high slice of the R1 DVD Market. Otherwise - I think we'll all wait until the next DDD 20% off sale !!!!!!
Old 08-08-05, 08:38 AM

A lot of Dutch customers bought their dvd's from DVDSOON in the "good old days"...
Some have switched over to CDWOW or DVDPacific. Others buy a lot of region 3 dvd's now.
A good new e-tailer would attract a lot of customers from the Netherlands, I am sure!
Old 08-13-05, 10:07 PM
Cool New Member

A little late coming into the conversation, but I happened to be posting in the latest DVDsoonisfreakingevil.com thread - has anybody else tried ThunderDVD.com? I didn't have a heck of a lot of experience with them before I was (sadly) lured away by DVDsoon.com's promise of 20% off with the purchase of a card (which I then felt obligated to use all the time to get my money's worth) - but the two times I did order from them, I found their pricing sort of hovering around amazon.ca (sometimes higher, sometimes lower, seemed very random), not quite as well stocked, but with awesome delivery times and fantastic customer service (an actual person answered me - and answered back when I answered them! ). Of course, the only other online experiences I've had besides DVDsoon and them are:

Amazon.ca - okay pricing (did amazon.ca EVER get coupons? EVER??), okay shipping, great stock, not particularly stunning customer service.
Chapters.ca - only ordered from them once during a sale, as their shipping prices are insanely high, didn't need to use their customer service - their shipping time was damn fast, I'll give them that.
Old 08-14-05, 08:24 PM

@barley
Amazon.ca has been lacking in coupons as of late, but there have been at least 48 amazon.ca coupons that were not restricted to new users and are now expired.
Old 08-15-05, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by tonyjg
AND we wont mention Amazon Canada - can someone explain to them that standard shipping to Australia DOESN'T COME BY BOAT AND TAKE 3 MTHS TO GET THERE !!!!)
That's why I stopped using them; I had a couple of shipments take more than 3 months to get here. Now I don't need lightening fast shipping, but that's just ridiculous!

Originally Posted by pilot
why do/did a lot of the EU countries (and elsewhere) buy from dvdsoon? Was it just for the worldwide free shipping?
It was the free shipping and also the fact that the US dollar was pretty strong against my currency, but since it's now dropped while the Canadian is staying about the same, the Canadian prices aren't necessarily cheaper than Amazon.com anymore.

Originally Posted by barley
Amazon.ca - okay pricing (did amazon.ca EVER get coupons? EVER??), okay shipping, great stock, not particularly stunning customer service.
Amazon.ca used to always get coupons. Good ones, too. They stopped a while back, though I didn't have a problem with their customer serivice the one time I had to use it, although it was a bit annoying having to make an overseas call just to confirm that yes my disc was faulty and I would like another one.
Old 08-15-05, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try DVD Pacific

I have been using DVD Pacific for some time now for a lot of purchases and find them excellent. A forum I visit based in the UK has a lot of members there that use them also. Not Canadian based I know but perhaps another alternative for our foreign friends!
Old 08-20-05, 07:47 PM

Besides, many DVDs were released only in R1, not in other regions.
To me, this is the most important factor.

I also bought many DVDs from UK and paid the shipping for sending to Asia or from CD-WOW (stil mainly R2 DVD) for free shipping. But, like tonyjp said, CD-WOW, even though deliver R1 DVDs too, has limited selections.

Since late July, I ended up in bidding DVDs in Ebay to get the DVDs I want. It's more time (and shipping)-consuming. Therefore, I also hope someone can tell us his/her choice of good R1 DVD retailers.
Old 08-20-05, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recommend DVDSoon.
Old 08-20-05, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
I recommend DVDSoon.

Gee - what a great recommendation !!!!

Obviously Fincher Fan has been on another planet for the past few weeks and months !!!

However - on a serious matter - and the starter of this thread - us non-Canadians and US residents are now searching for another R1 retailer.

DVDSoon is GONE in all of our books - it's actions over the past few weeks have totally lost its customer base. Many of us are seeking the return of our money for goods not delivered.

The 'challenge' now is for some other online R1 business to take up those sales that DVDSoon has now lost for good. Overseas buyers of R1 product look for bargains and cheap(or cheaper) postage. We don't buy from retailers who increasing are CHARGING for postage on a PER DISC BASIS or ADDING additional costs to postage.

If some estores are serious about increasing their business - they should look to this area of the market - the overseas purchaser !!!!!
Old 08-21-05, 03:19 AM

Gee - what a great recommendation !!!!
Looks like you're not paying attention to the DVDSoon thread...
Old 08-21-05, 03:33 AM

Looks like you're not paying attention to the DVDSoon thread...
Actually - I've been watching the DVDSoon threads from afar.....

Ours in Australia on www.dvdplaza.com.au - and from the UK one on www.dvd-swaps.co.uk.

We in Australia are a bit more 'vocal' on the DVDSoon fallout !! Here its just one thread.

NB : I've got $C130 in CANCELLED ORDERS from this mess of a company !!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-21-05, 07:52 AM

That's a fair bit. Are you doing a chargeback with your bank?
Old 08-21-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've used:

amazon.ca
videoflicks.ca
dvdboxoffice.com
chapters.indigo.ca
thecnl.com/
Old 08-21-05, 06:29 PM
Cool New Member

I've found Chapters too expensive on the whole - once in awhile they'll have one or two DVDs that are cheaper, but if you want to order more than one DVD, chances are the other one's overpriced.

I've been impressed with ThunderDVD.com so far, but they do the shipping-per-item thing. :/

Saw CNL by chance the other day - looks interesting, but I've never heard of them - are they established? Reliable? Good customer service?
Old 08-22-05, 06:19 AM

What's CNL?
Old 08-22-05, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's CNL?

It's an internet club like Columbia House (more or less).

http://www.thecnl.com/
Old 08-22-05, 09:45 AM

well it was fun while it lasted, but everyone knew that sooner or later this would happen. im down 40$ us. But they have given me a very big dvdcabinet with ultra low priced dvd's while they lasted. So i say thanx for the past bizz and thats all she wrote.

those prices were incredible, last year they had a 25% discount i oredered over 400 and got 'm all so that counts for something i guess.....
Old 08-22-05, 01:52 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
CNL is great but only if you order lots of titles in one order. If I order before 6pm ET, I always get my DVDs the next day before noon. (which is amazing considering they ship from British Columbia and I live in Quebec).

They only ship within Canada though.
Old 08-23-05, 12:52 PM

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
I use dvdimport.com