Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Dvdsoon: Warning No Refunds Made Now

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Dvdsoon: Warning No Refunds Made Now

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-05, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir_Fireboard
Well I just went to try and cancel my order, but it's still in the pending section, not in the cancelled section and I have no store credit.
I e-mailed them to cancel some of my orders. Their response told me that they are cancelling all orders anyway over the next few days. And then it went on to cheerfully tell me about their great new system where I can re-place my orders if I still want the items, and use my new credit to pay for 25% of my order.

Last night I got about half of my orders cancelled, but I don't see any credit in my account.
Old 08-17-05, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts
Goddamn bastards!

They cancelled all my orders today yet they never credited my account for any of these cancellations!!!
Old 08-17-05, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got the cancellation e-mail as well (for my order from MAY!). No credit was listed, but that's okay since I won't be using them again. Instead, they can deal with my bank.
Old 08-17-05, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts
Great, my credit card company is saying that since these charges were placed more than 60 days ago, they can't dispute them.

F**K them and DVDSOON.
Old 08-17-05, 09:35 AM

I was debating on making myself a guinea pig and placing an order to test the new policy of them not charging until the order is shipped. There still seems to be some good deals along with the free shipping for 3 titles totalling $39 (CDN) or more. But, there is some interesting language at the top of the customer service page, under the "In order to offer you the best service..." area:

DVDSoon.com can add to or modify the rules at any time. However, the rules applicable will always be those in effect at the closing of the contract.
The sale is closed once the products ordered are shipped.

It sounds like they can modify the rules between checkout and shipment so that they can charge for shipping regardless of whether the order qualified for free shipping at the checkout or not. Is this legal? Is there a difference between the "closing of the contract" and the "closing of the sale"?
Old 08-17-05, 12:23 PM

They are the shadiest online retailer, I have ever seen. Their website should be shut down by the better business bureau. They are scam artists, plain and simple.
Old 08-17-05, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just sent them a nasty email telling them that what they're doing is unacceptable, and I want a refund or I'll dispute the charges with my CC company and report them to RECOL. I'm sure they don't give a flying fuck but we'll see what happens.
Old 08-17-05, 07:42 PM

Canceling orders and then telling their customers (I'm one of them) just reorder the DVDs with the credit. This is just "bait and switch" which violates US Anti-Trust laws don't know about Canada if they also have "bait and switch" laws.
Old 08-18-05, 12:26 AM

Here is how they responded to my email of 8-5 asking where my order was:

"Shipping department has now investigated these products and
unfortunately there is was an inventory error in our warehouse. I have
confirmed with the movies department that the item is on order with the
studio at the time you did place your order and rest assure that as soon
as we do receive it, it will be shippped to you asap. I apologize for
the inconvenience.

------------------------------
Jacqueline Nelson
Customer Service Center
Centre De Service à la Clientèle
DVDSoon.com

We are proud to inform you that DVDSoon.com has been selected as the
"best Canadian web DVD retailer" by the Canadian Home Entertainment
industry, during the 2th annual Canadian Entertainment Network Awards
(CENA), which was held in Toronto, on April 26, 2005."

Right...............
Old 08-18-05, 12:36 AM
Cool New Member

Yeah, I actually googled Canadian Home Entertainment trying to find a way to e-mail them and suggest they rescind that 'award'. Sadly, I found nothing.
Old 08-18-05, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by barley
Yeah, I actually googled Canadian Home Entertainment trying to find a way to e-mail them and suggest they rescind that 'award'. Sadly, I found nothing.
You should work on your Google skillz. ;-)

http://canadianentertainmentnetwork....ds05/index.htm

Regards
Old 08-18-05, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by kyle
I e-mailed them to cancel some of my orders. Their response told me that they are cancelling all orders anyway over the next few days. And then it went on to cheerfully tell me about their great new system where I can re-place my orders if I still want the items, and use my new credit to pay for 25% of my order.

Last night I got about half of my orders cancelled, but I don't see any credit in my account.
Yeah, I just got the same happy email about re-ordering my item. I have however got the 'credit' in my account, so that's something. It's only been 50-something days since I ordered it, so I'll call my CC company tomorrow and get this sorted out.
Old 08-18-05, 05:13 AM

You can order whatever you want but you will never get it because this store does not have any stock and will not get any because they will be going bankrupt soon.
They are keeping our money to stay alive but they will sink very SOON!

Dvd-basen says:

We suggest not to buy DVD's at DVD-Soon, look at these forums for more information:
The DVD Forums
DVD Swaps
CDandDVDbargains.com
DVD Plaza
Cin&Son (French)
Cinefacts (German)
DVD Forum (Swedish)
Mundo DVD (Spanish)

NOTE: DVDBeaver no longer recommends the e-tailor DVDSoon as we have received numerous complaints as to their reliability. Any existing links we have to them will be removed as soon as we are able.

Last edited by trebbor; 08-18-05 at 05:18 AM.
Old 08-18-05, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by scouse
For others who want to get some action, this link below is to get the cops involved. The more complaints the quicker it might get resolved. It's a bit of work but better than sitting feeling helpless against DVDsoon con artists.

http://www.recol.ca/intro.aspx?lang=en
Ya. I did. For those who were rubbed by DVDSoon, please also file a complaint against them.
I called my credit card company about the money charged by DVDSoon on 6/23, but they can do nothing about it since the money was paid already.
Jesus, shouldn't the card-issuing bank do something?
Old 08-18-05, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
They're a small business, without money to stock a million DVD's. When dealing with any small business, you've got to understand: they don't stock tons of what you need. It's often ordered from THEIR suppliers as you order it.

They're obviously having problems with dumbasses constantly ordering and cancelling. And I'm sure it costs them tons of money, and tons of headache. They DO have to stock those movies. And they DO only make a dollar or two on a sale.

Luckily, places like Amazon have a gajillion dollars in capital. And they probably get a hundred-times the orders. So they don't have to worry about that stuff.

Too bad for DVDSoon. I hope they can weed out the indecisive customers with this new policy. Seems like they'll be out of business soon. The "Christian" business model just doesn't work this day and age. Making too many good deals for everyone. Trying to compete with gigantor companies like Amazon will leave your ass on the curb.

I'm suprised they're hanging in there.
Old 08-18-05, 11:20 AM

The fact of the matter is they took our money up front. We not only waited weeks for our order but months. Now they are canceling our orders and telling us to reorder the items but only 25% of what we paid can be applied to the new order. Sorry there is nothing "Christian" about their business model.

Your surprised they are hanging in there... this how they are...

They canceled all orders.

They raised their prices at least 10% on everything some titles even more

They canceled all iFidelity memberships. You would usually save 10% with your paid membership.

So now they are asking you to order the same stuff over again but, only giving you 25% credit of what you already paid so in reality they are only giving you 5% credit of what you paid for the same items.
Old 08-18-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by troystiffler
The "Christian" business model just doesn't work this day and age. Making too many good deals for everyone. Trying to compete with gigantor companies like Amazon will leave your ass on the curb.

Hmm. Offering items for sale, taking your money then not giving you what you bought and then keeping your money doesn't sound very christian to me. Sounds more like they just found a legal way to steal money.

What about that 25% BS? Great business model.

It is no different than if I were to walk into Best Buy and take a sale DVD up to the counter, they take my money and keep the bag with the dvd and tell me to leave and come back to buy it next week with my credit when it isn't on sale. I could take it up with customer service, but alas there isn't anyone there.

*edit* I tried to call dvdsoon, but all representitives were busy. Just filed my complaint with the agency above. The credit card call comes next. Fucking crooks.

I had this happen a few years back I bought a computer monitor for about $350 and this company shipped me 2 and charged me twice. It took me 6 months to get my money back. They were going bankrupt and didn't want to refund the money either.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 08-18-05 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-18-05, 11:33 AM

If anyone thinks this is a good "Christian" deal from DVDsoon, if they want my $137.23 DVDsoon credit then they can pay me US cash rate. Any takers??? Ummm... that's what I thought...
Old 08-18-05, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by troystiffler
They're a small business, without money to stock a million DVD's. When dealing with any small business, you've got to understand: they don't stock tons of what you need. It's often ordered from THEIR suppliers as you order it.

They're obviously having problems with dumbasses constantly ordering and cancelling. And I'm sure it costs them tons of money, and tons of headache. They DO have to stock those movies. And they DO only make a dollar or two on a sale.
So you think that if a customer:
1) Puts in an order for an item that's listed as available
2) Waits a month or two for the item with no luck
3) Checks the site and sees that the item is still listed as availiable, but then checks their order status which contradicts that and gives no sign whatsoever as to when the order will be filled...
and then cancels the order that they're a dumbass? I say that they're a dumbass if they don't! Plus, it's a safe bet that DVDSoon has cancelled FAR MORE orders on their end than customers have themselves due to their ineptness.

Luckily, places like Amazon have a gajillion dollars in capital. And they probably get a hundred-times the orders. So they don't have to worry about that stuff.

Too bad for DVDSoon. I hope they can weed out the indecisive customers with this new policy.
The customer's are hardly indecisive. They have decided to only wait so long for the other party to do their job before pulling out on their end. Here's a sample of what DVDSoon's business model has been for customers that placed orders before the changes on 8/12. I have a problem keeping a straight face while telling myself that it would work.

1) Charge a low rate for DVDs and offer free shipping.
2) Make the items appear as if they are available, even if you have no clue as to whether you will actually be able to get stock of the items.
3) Offer a discount membership card for additional savings (only to cancel all memberships shortly thereafter).
4) Charge for the items at the time of the order and hold on to the money until (you hope) you get the stock from your supplier.
5) Make the customer wait (and wait, and wait) without any communication, and on the odd chance that you do decide to communicate, offer a response that is basically useless with no answer to the problem.
6) Finally, after two months, out of the goodness of your heart, you cancel the customer's orders. Only...
The customer does not get their money back, but a non-refundable credit, and...
If the customer had a $100 order originally, they have to spend $400 in order to use all of the credit they have been given, and...
The items in the original $100 order likely cost $125 or more now, and...
The free shipping offer may no longer apply, and...
The language in their terms of service allows them to change anything at a whim until the time the order ships.
Seems like they'll be out of business soon.
...I'm suprised they're hanging in there.
Seems like they should be unless they get their act together quickly.
That being said, since now they are supposedly not charging until an item ships, I'm still debating on whether to make myself a guinea pig to their new system, placing an order for 3 DVDs that they have priced at about half the price of other e-tailers. I fully expect the order to eventually be cancelled, but at least if they're true to their word as far as when the card will be charged, I won't be out anything except the wait. But the language in the post I had earlier is making me hesitate.
Old 08-18-05, 12:02 PM

I'm thinking a good majority of their customers don't even realize that only 25% of their credit applies to a new order. Since, they hide that information on their terms of service page and the email they send when your order is canceled never mentions to this.

I'm holding out because I don't want to give them anymore money for nothing in return.

I suggest everyone file a complaint http://www.recol.ca/intro.aspx?lang=en

Also, try and work with your Credit Card company to attempt to get your money back.
Old 08-18-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Classic.I recommend all to dispute credit card statements right now.
Old 08-18-05, 01:21 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by SkyDog
So you think that if a customer:
1) Puts in an order for an item that's listed as available
2) Waits a month or two for the item with no luck
3) Checks the site and sees that the item is still listed as availiable, but then checks their order status which contradicts that and gives no sign whatsoever as to when the order will be filled...
and then cancels the order that they're a dumbass? I say that they're a dumbass if they don't!
Exactly. I had this happen on one of my earlier orders (sadly, the first order went through fine and I was suckered into their $50 membership) - I ordered a DVD which the website claimed was in-stock. Then I waited. And waited. And waited. Everything else arrived. I waited some more. Two months later, I finally gave up and phoned and asked what was going on with this ($45 that, as others have noted, they'd already charged me) DVD I'd ordered.

"Oops," said the customer support representative, "that's not actually in stock. Oh, and we're not getting anymore. I'll just cancel that and issue you some non-refundable credit. Byeeeeee!"

At that point, I kept ordering because they were cheap, and, well, it was one item. Perhaps it wouldn't happen again.

But after that, I gave them one month. If it hadn't changed status by then, I cancelled and either found something else or got my money back.

You think I'm a dumbass for protecting my money*? You shop there. I guess I'll go back to opening up ThunderDVD.com, Playcentric.ca, Chapters.ca, and Amazon.ca and price-checking each item I want to order at the time to see who'll give me the best deal overall...unless someone can suggest a good price-checker for Canadian DVD shopping - pricegrabber.ca always gives me American company results, and pricenetwork.ca only covers computers and electronics - mnemo, your google search skillz are obviously more honed than mine!

*Thank God I did, I've only lost $2.65 in non-refundable, over 60 days sadly, plus 4 months of their card (which works out to about $16 if my math's right, which I freely admit it might not be), which still hasn't appeared as a credit on my account, so I guess they decided I "got my money's worth" out of 8 months.
Old 08-18-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts
Just to clarify a point that some seem to be misinterpreting about the credit. It is stated that you can only use the credit for 25% of your total, NOT that you can only use 25% of the credit for a purchase. It still sucks ass, but in a slightly different way. It also still means I'd need a purchase (or purchases) over $100 to spend my $25 credit. Of course, that means a whole lot when I have 0 confidence of every receiving anything I'd order from them now.

troystiffler, I have no idea how you can possibly be blaming this on the customers. 'Most' of these complaints, mine included, are the result of the 'dumbasses' at dvdsoon cancelling the orders. Not the customers.
Old 08-18-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by andicus
Just to clarify a point that some seem to be misinterpreting about the credit. It is stated that you can only use the credit for 25% of your total, NOT that you can only use 25% of the credit for a purchase.
I think most understood it, it is just that NO ONE wants to be locked into buying something else from this horrid company just to use their money they already spent.

Just got off the phone with the credit card company and it is taken care of.

The kicker is, like some of the others, I have bought from them numerous times and this is the first time I've ever had a problem. Due to the change in policies about 'non-refundable credit' and just how this whole situation was handled, I will not shop there again. Sad that it only takes one bad experience, but hey.
Old 08-18-05, 05:19 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Just got off the phone with the credit card company and it is taken care of.
Did your Credit card payment go through before Dvdsoon cancelled your
dvd order? The reason I ask this is that I hope to get a FULL refund from my
Credit Card. If you don't mind me asking, which Credit Card company are you with?

Thanks

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.