Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Dvdsoon: Warning No Refunds Made Now

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Dvdsoon: Warning No Refunds Made Now

Old 08-20-05, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrowley
"You may remove my account from your records. I do not want my credit
card on record with you anymore".............

Fortunately they don't keep credit card information on file, otherwise who knows what they might have done with it?
Am I missing something? Originally, DVDNever said it would process refunds on cancelled orders (before they became world-class crooks). They could only process refunds to credit cards if they kept our credit card information on file. I think we are at risk with these crooks. I check my credit card statement (on the Bank's internet site) each night to ensure that DVDNever doesn't try to raid my credit card. These guys can't be trusted, particularly if their company is collapsing.

Last edited by oldchuckles; 08-20-05 at 02:33 AM.
Old 08-20-05, 05:17 AM

That's a very good point you make!

How can they issue Credit Card Refunds if they don't have our card details on file?

I'm pretty sure that they didn't keep credit card info as you always had to enter your card details every time you placed an order.

And anyway....why on earth will it take until December 2005 to sort it all out. Why don't they just process refunds now.

I think the only way any of us will see our money is if the Credit Card Companies are able to do a charge back.

Seems to me that they are desperately trying to keep the company afloat by any means.
Old 08-20-05, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tracer
I'm thinking a good majority of their customers don't even realize that only 25% of their credit applies to a new order. Since, they hide that information on their terms of service page and the email they send when your order is canceled never mentions to this.
That is crazy. They own me around 100$ for a pre-order I asked last month (before they change their rule). I'm ok they change their rules, people who will buy now will know what they do, but if that was like that when I pre-order my DVD set, I'll not purcahsed from them (especially knwoing they will cancel my order because they change their system and I lost my money by the way because of their changing).

Yes they credit me the money, but for not lost it, I have to purchase more DVD (because I can only use 25% of the purchase with my cerdit money. I don't have enought money for that, I wanted to buy a gift for a closed friend, I don't spend money on DVD usually, many medical expense for my 3 yrs old sons actually. So If I con't have money for made for 300$ of DVD, I lost my money because they change suddently?

Kind of idiot.

The best if they change and cancel everyone for their own change, refund people simply, that will avoid a lot of problem to everyone! And I pay right now interest on my purchase on my credit card, and probably I'll never have it.
Old 08-20-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope the two 10-year old girls running DVDSoon get trampled to death by elephants.
Old 08-20-05, 10:20 AM

If they not refund people who joined with the preview Terms, that is totaly a fraud.

Because they not just change the terms, but THEY volontary cancel all cutomers orders and costumer are obligated to buy more DVDs (and not sure to have it, becasue that can be cancelled for not having it after 2 months and finally have to request more and more).

I cal the "Office de la Protection du Consommateur" in Quebec, but if they not do nothing for preview customer, that will look like a real fraud and plan for steal money from people finally. No?
Old 08-20-05, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
I hope the two 10-year old girls running DVDSoon get trampled to death by elephants.
Are you telling us that the two drunk hell-raising Bush daughters, Jenna and Barbara, are running DVDSlow? Now, it is starting to make sense! No wonder DVDSlow is going kaput.
Old 08-21-05, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by oldchuckles
Am I missing something? Originally, DVDNever said it would process refunds on cancelled orders (before they became world-class crooks). They could only process refunds to credit cards if they kept our credit card information on file. I think we are at risk with these crooks. I check my credit card statement (on the Bank's internet site) each night to ensure that DVDNever doesn't try to raid my credit card. These guys can't be trusted, particularly if their company is collapsing.
When asking for a refund to your credit or debet card (while they had this option), they asked for the CC details of the card the original transaction was made on one of the follow-up screens. If that card was no longer working they asked you to contact them.
I asked for a refund about one week before they took the option away, and received it about five weeks later. Still have about CAD170 in non-refundable credit from their cancellations since then, though.
Old 08-21-05, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
Damn. I suddenly feel VERY lucky to have gotten the one DVD I ordered from them (Last Man on Earth/Panic in the Year Zero). It took them 5 weeks, but I got it back at the beginning of June.

From reading this thread it looks like they are on the verge of going under. They don't carry much stock themselves and are reliant on an independent distributor to provide their inventory as it is ordered. That in and of itself isn't usually a problem, but if they are having cash flow problems and their old distributor went under and their new one won't let them buy on credit the same way then they would have a huge problem being able to fill orders.

I know something about this as I used to run an independent record store back in the late 80's and early 90's. The owner moved the store to a location with very low rent. I advised against it (as it was too out of the way for many people), but he did it anyway. Our sales dropped about 33%, and we got further and further behind in our credit accounts with our distributors. Eventually they cut us off, and we had to pay C.O.D. for our orders. We still had a back balance due, and in trying to pay that AND the C.O.D. orders our inventory slowly dropped. Eventually when we got too far behind our main distributor let us know that they were cutting us off altogether and coming down to pick up their merchandise. End of store. We didn't do anything shady - we worked our asses off to stay afloat and pay everyone everything that we owed them, but it just didn't work out.

DVDSoon seems to be pulling some shady stuff - more out of desperation than trying to rip anyone off I think. Reading this full thread I see a company desperate to keep from going under, not anyone maliciously trying to steal from their customers - but the damage has been done. Their reputation is shot.

It reminds me of when DVD Express/Express.com went under. They were great at one point, but red ink choked them. I seem to remember some similar (although not as extreme) complaints about them near the end.

Online retailing is not an easy thing, and it looks like DVDSoon will soon become solely a part of internet history.
Old 08-21-05, 11:44 PM

"I see a company desperate to keep from going under, not anyone maliciously trying to steal from their customers"

Isn't this one and the same thing?

It is in my opinion.
Old 08-22-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
If the intent is not just to steal money and pocket it, but rather to keep a company afloat (money reinvested in the business) it is a different thing.

Ultimately with the same results, unfortunately, once the company does go under.

When I ran the record store we didn't think we were going to stiff our distributors for what we owed them - even when we were 120 days past due on our accounts. We were honestly trying to turn the business around and get caught up on our payments. We just couldn't make it happen - although we tried really hard.

I don't get a sense that the DVDSoon people are trying as hard, so their efforts to keep their company afloat not only come across as shady, but also as incompetent.
Old 08-22-05, 12:15 AM

What the heck is up with the carrier fee prices, anyone know why they have become insanely high?
Old 08-22-05, 12:17 AM
Cool New Member

I would say that revoking $50 membership cards and not refunding any remaining time based on "you got your money's worth" is pretty damn shady.

Also, cancelling people's orders so you can make them pay more? Shady.

Making them spend 4x the amount they already spent to get their credit? Shady.

Not saying a WORD about it beforehand? Shady.

Not bothering to respond to your customers when they e-mail and ask "wtf?????" Shady (at least, they haven't responded to any of my e-mails. Not even my last one. Too bad.)

Yeah... I'm aware that it often looks different from the outside than in, but this... this is shady.
Old 08-22-05, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
I have to think being able to use your credit for only up to 25% of each new order is breaking some kind of law, especially if it was initiated by the company (at least in the US, not sure about canada). Otherwise, what's to stop me from setting up a small store, getting some business, then implementing a similar 1% clause?

I also fail to see the correlation between changing their system to accomodate charge on shipment and setting up their system to only allow this 25% clause. Am I missing something here? How in the world are they justifying this?

Lastly, is English not their first language or something? Don't they have anybody that can write a company response or policy in proper English?
Old 08-23-05, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by sougouk
Did your Credit card payment go through before Dvdsoon cancelled your
dvd order? The reason I ask this is that I hope to get a FULL refund from my
Credit Card. If you don't mind me asking, which Credit Card company are you with?

Thanks
Chase
DVDsoon cancelled order, I called them to no avail. Next day I called Chase.

I just laid out all the details. I orderd 3 dvds at X price that were listed "In stock" at the time of order. Two shipped and 6 weeks later the remaining item is still listed in stock yet the order was cancelled. At the time of order placement the company's terms of service allowed refunds on all cancelled orders. A week before my order was cancelled the TOS, had been changed to no refunds, without ever alerting the customer.

Can't help you on monetary answers as my order was a partial refund. The 3 dvds I ordered were the same price, so we just divided the total of the charge by 3 and refunded me a 1/3 of it. So one could assume I got a full refund.

Just make sure they know that the TOS you agreed to at the time of purchase were changed in their favor at the time of cancellation, without ever informing you as a customer.
Old 08-24-05, 11:01 AM

This out to be a sticky on the primary forums to WARN others who might not already know of the problem!

I am in the process of disputing mine and just found this thread - and it scares the bejesus out of me!

Again, this is some important info!
Old 08-24-05, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank God I cancelled when I did. It was about a month ago, before all the changes. I got a full credit back on my credit card.

I feel bad for all of you. I am pissed at myself because I ordered there instead of using the 20% DDD deal.
Old 08-24-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
I got a full credit back on my credit card.
I am pissed at myself because I ordered there instead of using the 20% DDD deal.
I disputed the charge on my MC. They have an online statement listing where you can dispute a charge (I believe up to 120 days), and give a short description of the problem. Very handy. I now see a credit for the amount, so it looks like it was a success.

I'm also pissed about the 1 title they didn't ship (The Bicycyle Thief). I didn't pick it up at the DDD 20% off sale either. Fortunately, I picked up lots of other stuff, and I also think the price may have dropped at DDD.
Old 08-25-05, 04:57 AM
Banned

Prior to their current fiasco, I had been a customer for over 3 1/2 years with not one problem. I always thought that the people who bitched about them charging your credit card upon order submission were numbskulls for their complaining, because they TOLD you VERY CLEARLY and upfront what the deal was, and including the checkout process. I have ordered SO many things from them over the years with great sucess, including items that I ordered after they were listed as OOP from the studio [I figured that if I couldn't get them, I would simply cancel the order and use the credit for other items which I was GOING to do anyway.] However, each time, they came through. I once had an order of 5 OOP items. They were VERY CHEAP when I ordered, so I took the chance. I was about to start cancelling the order over the following 3 months, when after 2 months, one item was sent. I hung on waiting for the others, and after 4 1/2 months, I got every single item, and each was LONG PAST OOP, so I was quite happy.

However, this recent turn of events has definitely turned me against them, and I will no longer shop there EVER. You don't take the tactics that have been used as of lately (even if their intentions are so genuine and not as a "let's see how long we can keep this thing going") are so irreprehsible and irresponsible to the customer, that they have turned what was once a true champion and defender into one that could simply care less. I had 2 orders cancelled consuming 3 items. Initially, my CC company didn't want to dispute because it had been over 60 days, but I reminded them that the Fair Credit Billing Act does not put a limitation whatsoever on disputes, and what I was asking for was not unreasonable (2.5-3.5 months and not like 2 years....). They conceded and then disputed my $55 worth of merchandise that will never be shipped.

Even if their intentions were not simply to try to plug a hole in a sinking ship, it will eventually turn out that way because they have driven off so many of their customers, and especially so many of their defenders. Bye Bye, DVDSoon, and I will NOT be looking back....!
Old 08-25-05, 11:39 PM
Cool New Member

Well, I *finally* got an e-mailed response to my *first* e-mail to them, way back on the 14th. My e-mail:

I would like to know when the credit for my unused months on my iCard
will appear. I purchased it on January 28th, 2005, and therefore have
several months left.
And their helpful response:

Dear Madam;

My apologies for the confusion regarding your iCard. We have decided to
permit all of our client base to take advantage of our promotions
instead of a single group of people which is why we have withdrawn the
iCard. Please understand that we have always reserved the right to
modify and/or withdraw this promotion at any time. This information
was located on the promotion page for the iCard.

We understand that the membership card was offered for a sum of money
which is why we have reviewed each account and have issued a
non-refundable credit according to the amount of use as well as the
remainder of months remaining. Please note that if the amount saved,
after shipment, is higher than the amount you have paid for the card, no
compensation will be issued even for the remaining months. The
calculation excludes the costs of free shipping and and the first month
of the membership.

We would like to advise you that it is important to consult your
incoming message center, FAQ, and Term of Use before contacting customer
service. All major updates will be explained in at least one of these
sections in order to ensure a quick resolution to common problems. Once
again I apologize for the inconvenience.

--------------------------------
Natasha Bonfield
Customer Service Center
Am I reading too much into it, or does that actually pretty much boil down to "neener neener, now f*** off"?

Too bad they didn't notice my more recent e-mail. The one that boiled down to "having seen what you guys are pulling, goodbye."
Old 08-27-05, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by zettler
This out to be a sticky on the primary forums to WARN others who might not already know of the problem!

I would agree with you but it seems that this is the most viewed "Store Forum" thread with almost 10,000 views. Well above the average of under 1,000.
Old 08-28-05, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'd think they'd at least give out some coupons or discounts for the inconvenience. The stupid thing about how DVD Soon was running, up until their latest cluster-fuck, was in their thinking they could match prices with other e-tailers on the net. The problem was, everyone else could move stock in a timely fashion. If they don't go back to their rock bottom prices after this fiasco, they'll be lucky to see the year out.
Old 08-28-05, 01:52 AM

Non Refundable Credit

I to have $492 in non refundable credit. It wasnt till i accidentally stumbled onto this thread that i even realised i could only use 25% of each order with store credit. I placed another two orders today before seeing this thread and i cancelled them straight away. I rang my bank and explained the situation and they said that on top of the previous credit charges i will be disputing the two orders i placed today were about to be processed also. Even though they aren't supposed to until they ship!! The banks has put a suspension on my credit card at this time.

Being a sunday here i was given details to ring disputes tomorrow and see if i can get my money back. Otherwise i will have to order $2000 worth of dvds to get my $492 in credit back. Over the years i have spent close to $8000 with this company, putting up with shitty wait times and so on. Now they have morally sunk to an all new low and if my bank doesn't pull through for me the $492 i guess i will never see it again.

DVDsoon you disgust me, you are nothing more than a bunch of criminals using all our $$ to stay afloat and invest or who knows what you have done with it. Shame on you
Old 08-29-05, 03:23 PM

J.E. vs DVDsoon

I spoke to a guy of TVA for J.E. show. (All Quebec people, it's for you) They want to do a TV report on DVDsoon. They're looking for people and comments. Email this guy and let him know what happen to you and if you want to be a part of there show.

[email protected]
Tel: 514-526-9251 X 4074
Old 08-29-05, 11:45 PM

Good job, carolinemoisan.
Can't wait to see it. Please keep us posted with the progress.
Old 08-30-05, 04:08 AM
Banned

When it comes out, can someone post a video of it? I surely would love to see it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.