Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Word of caution about Best Buy's maint. plans and replacment products

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 07-20-05, 06:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe this is in the fine print so it's not needed (who really reads that stuff though anyway right ). Anyway, I recently renewed the service plan on my monitor since I was having problems w/ it and was just too lazy to take it in before the plan expired. When I finally took it in they authorized a replacment, so I ended up w/ a Sony 17" in exchange for a MAG 17" (minus the mail in rebate that was part of the original purchase). However the service plan didn't carry over to the new monitor even though I just "updated" it. So I guess what I'm saying is learn from my mistake and if you are having a problem w/ something take it in before the plan expires and don't "update" the plan... Hopefully I'll save someone ~$80 (that's how much I think it was).
Old 07-20-05, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nemein
Maybe this is in the fine print so it's not needed (who really reads that stuff though anyway right ). Anyway, I recently renewed the service plan on my monitor since I was having problems w/ it and was just too lazy to take it in before the plan expired. When I finally took it in they authorized a replacment, so I ended up w/ a Sony 17" in exchange for a MAG 17" (minus the mail in rebate that was part of the original purchase). However the service plan didn't carry over to the new monitor even though I just "updated" it. So I guess what I'm saying is learn from my mistake and if you are having a problem w/ something take it in before the plan expires and don't "update" the plan... Hopefully I'll save someone ~$80 (that's how much I think it was).
This will happen anytime you use the plan. I had a Tivo replaced under their warranty plans. When the replacement takes place, you've used the plan and thus have to purchase a new plan for the replacement product if you so desire. The cost of the plan protects you from having to buy a totally new product at the then current price, it does not transfer to a replacement product for the remaining life of the first warranty plan.
Old 07-20-05, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess you did get a new monitor for 80.00. Would you have gotten anything if you did not update it? Was this CRT monitor?
Old 07-20-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd-fanman
This will happen anytime you use the plan. I had a Tivo replaced under their warranty plans. When the replacement takes place, you've used the plan and thus have to purchase a new plan for the replacement product if you so desire. The cost of the plan protects you from having to buy a totally new product at the then current price, it does not transfer to a replacement product for the remaining life of the first warranty plan.
This is only partially accurate, and if they tell you differently, they are lying. Products replaced through the DEVO process (just ask them) get the plan transferred over, as do products that are replaced during the manufacturer's warranty period.

Plan fulfullment only occurs with "no lemon" (4 times and you're out) replacements AND renewed plan replacements, as in the OP's case. Soooo, while you should still heed OP's warning anyway.
Old 07-21-05, 05:05 AM
Banned

I witnessed this at a Gamestop a week or two ago. Some lady came in to return her 3-week old PSP and was told that she would have to buy a new protection plan in order to stay covered.

These plans are the newest scam.
Old 07-21-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No, a scam is when you don't get anything for your money. With these plans, you do get something. That doesn't mean it's a good deal. It's like insurance. You pay it every month and never use it. But the day you have to make a claim you're glad you made all those monthly payments.
Old 07-21-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,846 Likes on 1,431 Posts
I thought you were going to say you read the fine print and found out that technically, you're supposed to mail the product to a certain place and they'll try to fix it (or determine that it really is broken) before you get a replacement. Usually, you can just walk into the store you bought it from and get something right away, but I did notice the last time I bought a warranty for my PSP that the terms specifically said this.
Old 07-21-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is either very new or they're full of it. I had 2 subs under warranty that kept blowing out, and I replaced them 4 times under the same warranty. I also had a portable DVD player under warranty and they uprgraded it to a better model when it broke and the warranty still transferred over. nd if this is true, it is a scam. The auto insure analogy doesn't fly. If i use my auto insurance, it's not void the next day without making my down payment again, or if i pay fr a year of coverage up front and crash the next day, i'm still covered for 364 more days. Between this, their "devil" customer and they're crappy sale prices lately, BB can kiss my @$$

Last edited by DVDKrayzie; 07-21-05 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-21-05, 02:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is either very new or they're full of it. I had 2 subs under warranty that kept blowing out, and I replaced them 4 times under the same warranty. I also had a portable DVD player under warranty and they uprgraded it to a better model when it broke and the warranty still transferred over. nd if this is true, it is a scam.
Yes I'm lying to you for my own pleasure I can only go by what the person who was helping out told me. Thinking back about it I'm pretty sure the same thing happened w/ a vaccuum cleaner I had to have replaced a couple of years ago too. Atleast for that one the warranty had pretty much run out so I wasn't too upset/didn't think much about having to renew it.

Alternatively it could be a special caveat on the extended warranties...
Old 07-21-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i didnt mean you were lying. I meant along the lines of how the managers at circuit city will completely lie about their pricematching policies right to your face while standing under a 6 foot tall LOW PRICE GUARANTEE sign.
Old 07-22-05, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Golgo15
I witnessed this at a Gamestop a week or two ago. Some lady came in to return her 3-week old PSP and was told that she would have to buy a new protection plan in order to stay covered.

These plans are the newest scam.
and what really sucks about that is that 3 weeks would still fall under the manufacturer's warranty