Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Marketplace seller gets smothered in bad feedback

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 07-18-05, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 217 Likes on 142 Posts

Wow! I've never seen a seller get so much negative feedback in such a short time. I'm amazed that Amazon is still letting this company list their stuff on Amazon's site.

Amazon seller videoplanet
Old 07-18-05, 07:28 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this buyer's comment sums it up rather nicely:
"While I was hopeful to get $700 of DVD's for $325, I can understand that mistakes happen. However, they could have communicated better regarding their massive pricing error."
The guy was probably spotlighted on Fatwallet or something and ended up breaking the hearts of 153 penny pinchers.
Old 07-18-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What cracks me up about some of those is that they're complaining about fraud because he cancelled the order and refunded their money. If it was he wouldn't have refunded your money, people! That's the whole point of fraud!

It sounds like the dealer tried to be a responsible seller, but something got messed up and he had to cancel a lot of orders from angry bargain hunters.
Old 07-18-05, 09:40 AM

Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts
Beware the Wrath of Fatwallet Cheapskates!
Old 07-18-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So true!
Old 07-18-05, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's a crook I purchased from at Amazon Marketplace. His feedback was 100% positive when I made the purchase and soon the negatives came pouring in. At least Amazon gave me a refund.

brianwilson0505
Old 07-18-05, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
Here's a crook I purchased from at Amazon Marketplace. His feedback was 100% positive when I made the purchase and soon the negatives came pouring in. At least Amazon gave me a refund.

brianwilson0505
Those goddamn Beach Boys! Still doing damage in the 21st century...
Old 07-18-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wewantflair
Those goddamn Beach Boys! Still doing damage in the 21st century...
He probably relapsed into drug addiction.
Old 07-18-05, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES

brianwilson0505
WTH??? I can understand how he would get over on the first few people, but people kept on ordering from him even though he had a ton of negatives posted before they placed their orders! Yeah, he is a fraud, but don't people check feed back before ordering on there?
Old 07-18-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts
Feedback is one thing, but I would think they'd toss someone who consistently advertises a product that is not in stock.
Old 07-18-05, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by calhoun07
WTH??? I can understand how he would get over on the first few people, but people kept on ordering from him even though he had a ton of negatives posted before they placed their orders! Yeah, he is a fraud, but don't people check feed back before ordering on there?
I think he set everyone up with the good feedback. He then listed a bunch of items at low prices to make quick sales but never delivered. He then had about a three week window before the negatives started rolling in since Amazon makes the buyer wait 21 days before filing a claim. That gave the seller a lot of time to float on his excellent feedback before anyone knew they were taken.
Old 07-18-05, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by renaldow
What cracks me up about some of those is that they're complaining about fraud because he cancelled the order and refunded their money. If it was he wouldn't have refunded your money, people! That's the whole point of fraud!

It sounds like the dealer tried to be a responsible seller, but something got messed up and he had to cancel a lot of orders from angry bargain hunters.
I ordered one item from this person. It wasn't even that cheap. At the time, there was no feedback so there was nothing to warn me off. All the negatives seem to have hit at once. If they aren't shifty, I think they could have avoided some of this negative feedback had they just told us what was wrong. I mean, when you can't deliver over 200+ items you listed in a brief period, it isn't unreasonable to tell folks why.

I did learn to not buy from new sellers.

Last edited by onebyone; 07-18-05 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-18-05, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I tried the Amazon Marketplace once about 3 years ago or so and never got the item I purchased. I did get a refund after awhile. Never thought about doing that again.

Its kind of funny that I have heard people (including my sisiter, ebay person) say not to deal with New sellers or buyers. I guess its a closed market....
Old 07-18-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Everyone was new sometime. I wouldn't necessarily avoid new sellers, but I wouldn't buy big ticket items from them.
I'm amazed Amazon Marketplace is still so busy. They have things like this, and they're more expensive for the seller than Half.com [99 cents plus 15% commission last I checked, vs Half.com's 15% commission.]
Old 07-18-05, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thing is, items I've sold on amazon marketplace have gone for at least 30% more than the same items on half.com. Half.com also has significantly less click-through traffic than amazon.com, so in terms of reaching the largest potential client base, there is no competition for amazon. Even with the absurd commission, Amazon is still the best choice for me.
Old 07-18-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Interesting...Yeah, I'll admit Amazon has got more 'name credibility' or at least name recognition than Half.com. I've just been with Half.com since they began, and never had a problem. Plus something about the Amazon interface bugged me. Maybe I'll stick some slow movers over there and see what happens.
Old 07-24-05, 11:58 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Interesting...Yeah, I'll admit Amazon has got more 'name credibility' or at least name recognition than Half.com. I've just been with Half.com since they began, and never had a problem. Plus something about the Amazon interface bugged me. Maybe I'll stick some slow movers over there and see what happens.

Amazon cancels listing after 60 days where as half.com leaves them up for as long as you wish. Also I never seem to get notified of a sale at Amazon via email whereas I always get email from half.com. Now that half.com dropped all non media items I might use amazon more for my electronic items.
Old 07-25-05, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by renaldow
LOL. Yeah, similar thing happened to me on ebay once. I was selling something, and in my description I said that I could take a PayPal payment from a bank account or account balance, but not a credit card. The person who ended up winning obviously did not read the description, as he sent me a PayPal credit card payment. PayPal sent me an email saying that I could upgrade to a Premier account to accept the credit card payment, or I could refuse the payment. So I refused the payment. The buyer quickly sent me an email saying "Hey why did you refuse my payment?! Are you trying to rip me off?"
Old 07-25-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, because giving money back is the first sign of a dishonest seller.

I might still give negative feedback if I were in that situation, especially if it happened to a lot of people, but not for fraud. If you went to Best Buy, and they NEVER had advertised dvd's in stock, and only told you that when you were checking out, most people would probably complain about that as well.

Re: Amazon's 90-day cap: You don't get charged until/unless the item sells, right? I wouldn't like having to restock my inventory every three months. Half.com now sends you a "Are you alive?" note if you haven't had any activity in a certain amount of time, but you just have to make one inventory update or click on "yes I'm alive" to continue.
Old 07-27-05, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Re: Amazon's 90-day cap: You don't get charged until/unless the item sells, right? I wouldn't like having to restock my inventory every three months. Half.com now sends you a "Are you alive?" note if you haven't had any activity in a certain amount of time, but you just have to make one inventory update or click on "yes I'm alive" to continue.
Amazon doesn't charge you the 99 cent listing fee unless your item sells.

You can also upgrade to their Pro Merchant program for $39.99 a month. The first two months are $19.99 per month (and you can cancel at any time). It's a good deal if you sell a lot of stuff because they waive the .99 cent listing fee and your listings stay up for as long as you want (not just 90 days).