Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

International (But not DVD) question---about games

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 07-16-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted to order a new edition of Monopoly from amazon.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...983325-3748413

But when I went to check out, it said the geographical limitation meant it couldn't be sent to me, and I clicked on the link to explain why and found this:

Software, PC & Video Games, Toys & Games and Gift items

* Amazon.co.uk and Marketplace: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales).

Ok, maybe I can understand software and PC and video games...but a board game??? Or even a freaking TOY??? What is up with that?

And as much as I wanted this game before I tried to order it, I want it more now that I can't have it! I did search at Ebay and there is a UK seller on there shipping only to the UK, and one from Australia. I really prefer to order from an online store I know that has great customer service, and amazon.co.uk has come through for me so often, I would not mind spending a llittle more with them. But since they appear to be out of the picture...

Are there any online sites that sell UK games like this Monopoly that is not Ebay or just some individual seller I am taking a chance with? Reliable sites that would deliver to the US and have great customer service in the event there is a problem with the order or condition of the game once it arrives?
Old 07-17-05, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best suggestion i cant think of is to include ".co.uk" when you search for the particular monopoly edition youre looking for. dont monopoly themselves have an online retailer? oh, and you dont mention your location, assume you are USA (i am UK)... amazon.co.uk does normally recognise USA accounts, but maybe theres a specific licensing restriction on certain materials?
Old 07-17-05, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by logboy
best suggestion i cant think of is to include ".co.uk" when you search for the particular monopoly edition youre looking for. dont monopoly themselves have an online retailer? oh, and you dont mention your location, assume you are USA (i am UK)... amazon.co.uk does normally recognise USA accounts, but maybe theres a specific licensing restriction on certain materials?
I wrote amazon.co.uk and here was their reply:

Dear Customer

Thank you for contacting Amazon.co.uk.

Amazon.co.uk and third-party sellers at Amazon.co.uk Marketplace can
dispatch software, PC and video games and toys to the following
countries:

* Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar,
Greece, Iceland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands,
Norway, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
and the United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and
Wales)

For further information please visit our "Delivery Restrictions" Help
page at:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/524836/

Please note that video games offered on our website follow the PAL
standard, which is the video format used in most European countries
and regions of Asia. These games will not play on most games consoles
in countries that use NTSC, SECAM or other video standards.

Thank you for your interest in Amazon.co.uk.

Warmest regards

Umesh Kumar Sahu
Customer Service
Amazon.co.uk
The only reason they specified for the restriction was due to PAL/NTSC restrictions for video games, which is understandable (do they even make region free game consoles??) but they didn't answer my questions why ALL toys and board games would be restricted. Heck, I could even accept it if they just wrote back and said Parker Brother's didn't allow it, but they appear to have put a restriction on all those items. The email didn't really address my question about it at all.