Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone here choose Bill Me Later at DDD?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 06-23-05, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being broke until the first and wanting to get in on this 20% off deal, I tried Bill Me Later. How long does it generally take to find out if your credit has cleared? How strict is the credit policy, has anyone thought that they wouldn't get approved but did or vice versa? Does DDD give you the option to choose another paying method if it does not clear?
Old 06-24-05, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It takes a day or two to get approved. I've had all my orders approved with no hassles, but I have excellent credit. Other users in the past have reported that DDD does not give you another option to pay - they just cancel your order - if you get rejected by Bill Me Later.
Old 06-24-05, 07:00 AM

Thanks for the reply; my credit would be excellent if it weren't for two bureaucratic medical bill screwups. Lousy State Insurance always tries not to pay. They eventually did but not until after two years had passed. I'm a little uncertain how my credit holds up today after that but I know I couldn't get an Apple loan a year ago.
Old 06-24-05, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 834 Likes on 614 Posts
You can always check your credit reprot for free at annualcreditreport.com
Old 06-24-05, 10:07 PM

I've always been a bit leary about trusting the wrong person for one of those credit checks, is annualcreditreport on the up and up?

Anyways, 2/3's (the rest is backordered) of my order shipped so I guess it went through although billmelater does not list any action on their site and I half expected to receive an e-mail from them telling me if it was a go or not. I'm shocked ddd got it out as fast as they did for that matter.
Old 06-24-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The first time I used Bill Me Later, it took them almost 2 months to bill me. I figured that if they forgot, it'd be no sweat for me. Just when I started worrying, the bill came.
Old 06-25-05, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 834 Likes on 614 Posts
Originally Posted by battlingbutler
I've always been a bit leary about trusting the wrong person for one of those credit checks, is annualcreditreport on the up and up?

Anyways, 2/3's (the rest is backordered) of my order shipped so I guess it went through although billmelater does not list any action on their site and I half expected to receive an e-mail from them telling me if it was a go or not. I'm shocked ddd got it out as fast as they did for that matter.
Annualcreditreport.com is a website sponsored by Transunion, Experian, and Equifax. I found out about the site by reading the news on yahoo.com on how to prevent identity theft and how to check your credit since Mastercard was hacked.
Old 06-29-05, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
I hate, hate, hate HATE Bill Me Later!

I have an account with ebags.com. When I initially set up the ebags account for my first order, I lived in Atlanta. I ordered another bag from them after I moved to Charlotte, at which time I changed all of the billing\shipping information in my account to my new Charlotte address.

So one day in late December - several months after my last order - I decided that I needed a new "smaller" bag for a trip to the UK that coming February. I found one I liked and ordered it with Bill Me Later. So then... life happened. I was laid off from my job two days before the UK trip, and then there was the UK trip itself... To be honest, I simply forgot all about the ebags order and Bill Me Later.

Fast forward to several months later. I'm sitting at home one day and get a call from Bill Me Later's collections department. I start the conversation nicely, explaining that I had simply forgotten about even ordering the thing in the first place, especially as I hadn't gotten a bill for it yet. So the CSR says that "we've been sending bills to your home address at 123 Fake Street in Atlanta for months now - when are you going to pay up?"

Mystified by how they got my information so horribly wrong - it was the correct address, but from three years ago - I ask them how they got the billing information, and I'm told that "it's who 'choo put in on your application form". I politely tell her that I haven't lived at that address for three years and can't remember my phone number *or* zip code from back then, so there's no way I could have filled that "form" out - even though in reality BML simply pulled my billing infomation from my ebags account. I never entered *anything* address-wise into their system. So the CSR accused me of lying, and the conversation rapidly escalated. They meant to charge me $48 for the thing - the $28 I paid for the bag & shipping, plus $20 in late fees. I was so cheesed off by the point I told them I'd call them back later.

So a few days pass, and a much nicer person calls from BML's collections department. I've calmed down by now, so I arranged to pay the $48 over the phone via some "insta-check" thing and close the account.

Think the story ends there? Nope. A month or two later, somone ELSE calls from BML's collections department. This time they say I owe $58 for the bag because I still haven't paid. I tell them that's bullocks and run upstairs to my office to get the confirmation number from the previous transaction. The CSR "dug deeper" into my account and - what do ya know? - I *did* in fact pay the bill last month! I quickly give her the history of what had happened so far and tell her that I'm normally a nice person but if someone from BML *ever* calls my house again I'm suing for harassment. She's surprisingly understanding and apologetic and promises that it's been "cleared" from their system.

So I hope, anyway.
Old 06-29-05, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I started using BML when Buy.com offered it, and had no problem with it. I've used it a couple of times on DDD, and again, no problem with it.
Old 07-03-05, 08:16 PM

I use BML all the time. I always pay off the bill when it arrives. One time I overpaid them. I didn't have the bill in front of me and I wrote the check for a little more than it actually was. I didn't think it would be a problem, I figured they'd just credit me with my next order. Nope, didn't happen though, so I called to ask about it and they had it on record, so they mailed me a check.
I have used BML since and like WWFlair, my very first bill came 2 months later and I thought they had forgotten all about me, but alas they didn't.
Old 07-03-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My best guess is that in order to be approved, you must have EXCELLENT credit with NO blemishes whatsoever.

I work in finance and see/deal with credit reports on a daily basis. I know my credit score is slightly above average....which, obviously, isn't good enough for BILL ME LATER.

The ONLY negative info i have on my report is, as mentioned in a post early in this thread by someone else, a few medical collections that were due to insurance hassles.

I find it very funny that, while one credit card that i recently paid off offers me a better rate AND increases my line of credit by $1,000.....BillMeLater won't even approve a little $200 line of credit.

Screw BILL ME LATER......they absolutely suck!
Old 07-04-05, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Question for the Bill Me Laters, what does the "promo code 01213" do? One of the boxes that I rec'd from DDD had a BML booklet in it and had this code. I tried it on DDD's website, but could not "see" what that code actually for.

Edited; This code is for DDCD.com, not the Dvd division
Old 07-04-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jpdude
My best guess is that in order to be approved, you must have EXCELLENT credit with NO blemishes whatsoever.

Not at all. Don't know why you weren't approved as I don't work for BML, but there was a time they didn't even check credit.