Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Moral Dilemma: Manager hoarding rare used items at FYE

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Moral Dilemma: Manager hoarding rare used items at FYE

Old 06-22-05, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd bust the manager.

If the item is out in the open where the public can view it, then it should be for sale.
Old 06-23-05, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would call on him as well... They have rules in place for a reason, and this manager is clearly breaking one of them.
Old 06-23-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. It's like a handicapped parking space. If it wasn't specially designated, someone else would probably have gotten it before you anyway.
Old 06-23-05, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by speedy1961
I'd bust the manager.

If the item is out in the open where the public can view it, then it should be for sale.
What about my above points about items BEHIND the counter in view of the customer??? Like I asked previously, if you go into Boarders and you see a hard to find item behind the counter being reserved for somebody else (regardless of who it is, you have no idea, you just see it) do you assume you should be able to buy it since you saw it? I would say NO, and too bad you weren't there earlier to get the product, or had the gumption to call up the store ahead of time and ask them to put it aside for you.

Maybe instead of stomping and shouting because you realized something didn't go YOUR way, why not just simply ask the store their policy on holding items behind the counter. I worked at a store where we held things until 8pm and if the person wasn't there by then to pick it up, it was put back out for the general customer. People sometimes saw we were holding stuff behind the counter, and would inquire about the policy, and we told them. Sometimes somebody (if it was close enough to 8) would just simply wait until 8, and a couple times, it worked out for people.

You're asking stores to abide by these unwritten rules of customer service, but how about customers trying to work with the stores and just ask them about their policies. It was brought up several times in here about OTHER stores who have policies against understocking/whatever, but did anybody in this thread to back to the FYE in question and ask them what their policy was? Don't make assumptions about what they should or shouldn't have done if you don't know what they should or shouldn't do in situations like that in the first place. We can compare like situations to other stores, but who is to say their policies will be exactly the same? We can't assume that.
Old 06-23-05, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would do nothing. There is nothing illegal about it: yes, selling on ebay sounds bad, but put yourself in her shoes. You'd do the same thing, man. I know I would.
Old 06-23-05, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't even think it sounds bad if they want to sell it on Ebay. I guess I just don't see the big deal about that. Like I said previously, whether I was the customer or the employer, as long as the merchandise was procured through legit means, whatever happens to it once it is sold and out of inventory is up to the person buying it, whether it is another customer or an employee of the store. The only time I ever saw a store employee get fired for selling stuff on Ebay was when it was stolen merchandise from the store that he was selling. Other than that, I think people only get mad because they couldn't think of it first or were too late to cash in on the deal.
Old 07-01-05, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wewantflair
I used to work at FYE - it is against their policy. Employees are allowed to hold items, but must give them up to customers who ask for them. Employees are also not allowed to use their discounts on special order or held items, at least according to corporate policy.

Furthermore, it's theft simply because she is holding merchandise from other paying customers. It's akin to me walking into a store, finding an item, and hiding it for purchase at some indeterminate date. She did not buy it. Had she just bought it, I suppose there's nothing wrong with that, but to hold money from the company in order to profit for herself is theft.

Hypothetical situation: This employee decides that she won't have enough money to pay this set for at least six months and the set stays behind the counter the entire time. What about 8 months? 10 months? A year? Is this ethical?
You know for a fact that it is the manager who was holding the item. You don't know for a fact, unless you just forgot it in your original post, that this manager is using her discount to buy the item. Maybe she's paying full price.

I don't understand how holding an item from "paying customers" constitutes theft. If she's going to pay for it, how is that different than if you are going to pay for it? The fact that she works there does not negate the fact that she has money and thus is a viable customer there.

I also do not understand how "hiding" items constitutes theft. Theft is when you take something out of a store premesis without paying for it. It's not theft until you leave the store premesis with the unpaid item. So if the item stays there, regardless of where it is, how can it be theft? It's a little mischievious I guess. But it's definitely not illegal.

It doesn't sound like you have the objectivity to criticize ethics in this situation. By your own admission you were interested in the dvd, so it just sounds like you were sore about not getting to buy it for yourself. Instead of being in the position of the moral high ground, you seem...I dunno.....jealous.
Old 07-01-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mifuneral
I also do not understand how "hiding" items constitutes theft.
It's not theft, it's under-stocking; and any reasonable retail store would not allow it to occur. In all my years growing up I don't know of one retail job I had that didn't have a policy that prohibited under-stocking. Now saying that it didn't happen that's another story, but the employees shouldn't be blatantly telling the public that it's happening. That's what opened up this can of worms.

If stores allow their retail locations to be understocked, the employees would get first jab at all the merchandise and would have nothing left to sell to their customers. If customers have nothing good to buy, eventually a store will close. It will take a long time and would have to happen on a large scale, but it could result in that.
Old 07-02-05, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
What if the item was kept out for a couple of days before the manager bought it herself? Is that still considered understocking? She is giving customers time to buy it but since no one was maybe she picked it up for herself?
Old 07-02-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dvd-fanman
It's not theft, it's under-stocking; and any reasonable retail store would not allow it to occur. In all my years growing up I don't know of one retail job I had that didn't have a policy that prohibited under-stocking.
Actually, the part of my post that you're referring to refers to the part of the OP's post where wewantflair sets an example of a customer hiding an item for purchase at a later date. I was trying to say that in that particular case, I can't see how the comparison to "theft" is warranted.
Old 07-02-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001
What if the item was kept out for a couple of days before the manager bought it herself? Is that still considered understocking? She is giving customers time to buy it but since no one was maybe she picked it up for herself?
Which would probably be fine, but in this case, the manager hadn't picked up the item yet. She was buying it later and having the store hold it for her. So, it still belonged to the store, but the workers there were prevented, by the manager, from selling it to a customer. I would think that would still qualify as understocking.
Old 07-02-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDan
Which would probably be fine, but in this case, the manager hadn't picked up the item yet. She was buying it later and having the store hold it for her. So, it still belonged to the store, but the workers there were prevented, by the manager, from selling it to a customer. I would think that would still qualify as understocking.
Gotcha. Thanks. Although, I still don't see the big deal about the situation. It seems the same as if I called ahead to a store and told them to hold something for me. Sucks for the OP but thats life.
Old 07-03-05, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Sucks for the OP but thats life.
Exactly.

When I worked at a video store, if there was something a customer wanted and it was in the employee hold area, and we knew it had been there for a while (more than one pay period) or it was there with no name on it, and we had a paying customer wanting it, it went to the paying customer first. But employees were permitted to put things aside, as long as they bought it in a reasonable period of time, which was usually by the next pay day.