Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Walmart return, damn!

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Walmart return, damn!

Old 06-19-05, 03:25 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer
My experience with Walmart in exchanging a defective DVD is similar. Purchased a DVD for a friend as a gift which turned out defective. Took it back for an exchange for the same movie with the receipt and before handing me the replacement they proceeded to open the package almost destroying the case in the process.

When I asked them what they were doing they said they had to by law.

I really wonder if there is an actual law or just a standard answer they give to make returns/exchanges more difficult.
Same in the videogame business as well.
Old 06-20-05, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd182
I was told to get a new one, and the girl opened it at the counter before handing it to me. I'm not positive why they do it, but I think it's supposed to combat you from just returning that one for credit.
Yes this is exactly why the do it. It keeps people from buying, copying returning for a sealed one and then returning the sealed one for store credit they can use to start the process over again.
Old 07-05-05, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I got a call from a csr at Fox Friday but I wasn't home so I called back today. The lady told me she needed my street address because they couldnt mail to a p.o. box. She said it's going out this week and I should get it by Friday. I gotta say, as much as I dislike Walmart they really surprised me on this one. Good job Walmart and Fox.
Old 07-10-05, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by metalfan
After standing there for about 30 minutes, the last person she talked to said no. She said that it was too big of a price and "something to do with copyright laws"
They lied to you, plain and simple. If there is any federal or state "copyright law" that prevents accepting a return of a defective item, I'd sure like to see it.

There is no excuse for this lie; being lied to like that may actually help you get a refund.

A friend got the same lie when trying to return a non-CD that pretended to be a CD (you know, those RIAA discs that do not adhere to the red book standard). But after explaining the situation to several employees, a return was accepted - I guess they decided to break the law to help the customer.

By the way, FCC regulations require you to paypal me $1 whenever you buy a new TV set. I can't produce the specific regulation, so it must be true.
Old 07-14-05, 04:25 PM

Well I got my set in today via UPS. I must say, good job FOX and Walmart. I guess the mods can close this thread now if they choose to do so.
Old 07-14-05, 05:14 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Way to go losing the recipt and placing the blame on someone else
Old 07-14-05, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So...how did you break/lose your original disc 2?
Old 07-16-05, 08:22 PM
Banned

A friend's grandmother works at walmart in the return area. She told us about the numerous x-files dvd sets being returned by people trying to get cash (record was on guy who brought in 7 sets). Seems everyone got them as gifts when Best buy next door held their 49.99 for each sale a few weeks ago...
Old 07-16-05, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
Now, I have taken advantage [that is, used legitimately] of WalMarts' return policy [recieved things from WM as a gift, then returned for credit unopened/like new], but it's cheap jerks like that who are going to abuse it and ruin it for the rest of us.