Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Barnes & Noble used as library and they're okay with that?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-05, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone notice that alot folks at B&N grab a book and just read it in chairs there. Or worse yet take them to cafe area and eat as they read. Whats B&N policy on this? Instead buying the book I can just come everyday and read it? Maybe gunk it all up with a danish? lol
Old 06-12-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always noticed that as well. LOL, they probably make more from their food stand than they do selling books.
Old 06-12-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by madara
Instead buying the book I can just come everyday and read it? Maybe gunk it all up with a danish? lol
I sometimes wonder if anyone has had the stones to take one into the bathroom. Just knowing they might be -ahem- used, seriously makes me hesitate to buy books there.
Old 06-12-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
One time I was visiting a Barnes and Noble in a city containing a large university, I once observed two individuals with backpacks and notebooks with several of the store's books mixed in among their own papers and calculators. They were communicating with each other in a language I did not exactly recognize, but which appeared to be similar to that of another ethnic group whose culture may not have included a bookstore where patrons are allowed the privilege of extended perusal of reading materials. This cultural difference might have led to a misunderstanding on their part as to the spirit and intent of that privilege. The fact that they were operating in plain view for a long period of time indicated that the management of that particular establishment had no problem with their use of the materials and therefore neither did I.

<Fixed>

Last edited by Quatermass; 06-13-05 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-12-05, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If they didn't want you doing this, they wouldn't have big comfy chairs and tables sitting all around the bookstore.
Old 06-12-05, 08:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shagrath
If they didn't want you doing this, they wouldn't have big comfy chairs and tables sitting all around the bookstore.
Exactly
Old 06-12-05, 10:41 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The same problem occurs at Borders too.
Old 06-12-05, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Easy
I sometimes wonder if anyone has had the stones to take one into the bathroom. Just knowing they might be -ahem- used, seriously makes me hesitate to buy books there.
That is why Borders has the theft detection sensors at the bathroom hallway entrance. Some of the BN's do, I believe and some do not.
Old 06-13-05, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I've wondered that myself. I've known people who go there daily to read, and that's it. They read for an hour or so, put the book back, and then leave.

Of course, these people also have an old handicapped placard they use to get handicapped parking spots.
Old 06-13-05, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Quatermass
I saw a couple of college-aged Asian guys doing their homework at one once. I couldn't believe it. It's possible that they didn't get the concept, but it was clear they had no intention of buying the books they were using. If the management has no problem with it, then I guess it's okay.
Was it necessary to mention that they were Asian? Typical.
Old 06-13-05, 01:17 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by madara
Anyone notice that alot folks at B&N grab a book and just read it in chairs there. Or worse yet take them to cafe area and eat as they read.
Where have you guys been hiding? Ha! I have been visiting B&N for more than 9 years now and they're always full of people reading.

Personally, I go every month, grab a stack of magazines, head to the cafe, buy a $5 Frapp (and often a $3 cookie) and read until my eyes start to cross.

I've seen numerous reports that the book stores make such a huge profit on coffee and baked goods (compared to books and magazines) that they're willing to let customers read to their heart's content. I bet my $8 worth of coffee and cookies cost them a total of 50-Cents.

Also, I can't tell you how many times I've gone in to simply browse and read but discovered something that I felt I had to own. I probably would have never purchased those items had I been hustled in and out of the store!
Old 06-13-05, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rich-y
I've seen numerous reports that the book stores make such a huge profit on coffee and baked goods (compared to books and magazines) that they're willing to let customers read to their heart's content. I bet my $8 worth of coffee and cookies cost them a total of 50-Cents.

Also, I can't tell you how many times I've gone in to simply browse and read but discovered something that I felt I had to own. I probably would have never purchased those items had I been hustled in and out of the store!
This is what I've concluded, too. I believe that it's a win-win situation for everyone, since these stores are indeed large enough chains to absorb the cost and can afford these gambles....
Old 06-13-05, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They build them so that people will do this. Why else would they put comfortable chairs, tables, etc everywhere?

They want people to go there and hang out for a long time.
Old 06-13-05, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by forumsmy
That is why Borders has the theft detection sensors at the bathroom hallway entrance. Some of the BN's do, I believe and some do not.
Except that books and magazines don't have sensors on them. They are only their for cds and dvds.
Old 06-13-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Big Worms
Except that books and magazines don't have sensors on them. They are only their for cds and dvds.
Regardless of the sensors, I've never been in one of the stores where the wasn't a sign in the bathroom area stating, "No unpaid for merchandise beyond this point."
Old 06-13-05, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Except that books and magazines don't have sensors on them.
Thats not true. I have found several 'sensors' in books I have purchased at Borders. Heck I've even seen them stuck to the inside of the 'jacket'.
Old 06-13-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by retihsuhnt
Thats not true. I have found several 'sensors' in books I have purchased at Borders. Heck I've even seen them stuck to the inside of the 'jacket'.
Well I have never seen them at B&N, but who knows every store is different. But I have seen the signs that say no unpaid merchandise.
Old 06-13-05, 10:26 AM

Maybe not the magazines but when reading some books I have found a very thin sliver of metal that was a sensor close into the binding, between the pages somewhere in the middle of the book. Basically it was dropped in after the binding was maybe bend back alittle in order to secure it in there.

Also some places I went to used to "magnetize" across the spine which must be deactivated - so there was no obvious strip, sensor or other "device." In these places, the cashier would wipe the spine across the demagnetizer several times.
Old 06-13-05, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Quatermass
I saw a couple of college-aged Asian guys doing their homework at one once. I couldn't believe it. It's possible that they didn't get the concept, but it was clear they had no intention of buying the books they were using. If the management has no problem with it, then I guess it's okay.
I read once that when Bezos was starting up amazon he did interviews in B&N
Old 06-13-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
When Borders and B&N first came out, I always wondered about this. There are always tons of people reading books, and especially magazines, all over the store. I guess the concession sales make sense, but I'm not sure you can take food into the store, where most of the chairs are (unless they don't mind coffee stains all over the books). I was always told that this kind of reading actually encourages some people to buy the books that they like, but I don't really see the correlation.

I know for sure that the majority of the kids sitting on the floor reading comics and manga are not going to shell out money for the stuff that they are reading...
Old 06-13-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
i'd hazard a guess that for every sale "lost" to the kind of person that will repeatedly return to read the same book, many many more are made by people who sat down for fifteen minutes and got hooked by whatever they were reading. I mean really, if they weren't making more money off them do you think they'd be encouraging it?
Old 06-13-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by honeybefly
Was it necessary to mention that they were Asian? Typical.
Fixed
Old 06-13-05, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Easy
I was at a BN this weekend in the Clearwater, FL area where I suspected this. I went in the restroom to wash my hands and heard pages turning in a bathroom stall. I didn't stick around long enough to see the man exit, so I can't confirm what he was doing.

Seinfeld fans will remember an episode about this very subject.
Old 06-14-05, 02:39 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by dentam
I was at a BN this weekend in the Clearwater, FL area where I suspected this. I went in the restroom to wash my hands and heard pages turning in a bathroom stall. I didn't stick around long enough to see the man exit, so I can't confirm what he was doing.

Seinfeld fans will remember an episode about this very subject.
Yes...poor Uncle Leo...
Old 06-14-05, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by eau
The same problem occurs at Borders too.

The same also occurs at Books-A-Million.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.