Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

i never thought id become one of those "bestbuy sucks" people

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

i never thought id become one of those "bestbuy sucks" people

Old 05-26-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,120 Likes on 1,632 Posts
Originally Posted by kklems
I do believe they do have a price guarantee (but I think it is only 14 days). My rant is the policy states they will beat a competitor by 10% of the difference in prices but if you try to pm at the register you only get a price match. To get the 10% you have to pay full price and than go wait in line at the service desk whereas Circuit city gives you the 10% off at time of purchase. And the lines at Best Buy can be longggggggggggggggggg.
That's nothing... I've been to some Best Buy stores where they won't even let me do a price match unless I go to the customer service desk. I can see why, as everytime I pricematch it holds up the line, but geez, I've never seen all three or four customer service stations occupied.

And that's exactly how they get out of giving you the 10% difference. They figure, for what amounts to a buck or less on most items, you won't make the effort.

Edited to add: by the way, this is something I see as a valid complaint (though still not a reason to boycott), because they have a clearly written policy but they make you jump through hoops to use it, when they don't have to (after all, if they can do a pm on the spot, they should be able to give the extra 10% off). Of course, if anyone remembers the wording of the angel/devil article, they also stated that devil customers include the ones who will actually turn in their rebate forms...

Last edited by fujishig; 05-26-05 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-27-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
Wow, such anger over nothing.

Walk into the store, rebuy the $400 camera (with the coupon). Leave.

Then walk back in, return the $400 camera (with your 10-day-old receipt), get your money back. Leave.

You are now $40 richer.
yeah, i already did that.
Old 05-27-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Not exactly...The wording is "They buy products, apply for rebates, return the purchases, then buy them back at returned-merchandise discounts"
Big difference.
*That* i agree with. That is a devil customer, that's just wrong.
However, if a store offers a rebate, and I fulfill the requirements thereof, I fully expect them to give me my rebate, and I will call and raise a fuss if I don't get
it.
Of course, I'd prefer instant rebates at the store itself anyway, but many companies doing rebates are devil companies, not angelic.

I did a price match for the 10% extra couple weeks ago. Bought it, turned around, went to CS, got my credit. No problem. Waited in line for a few minutes, but oh well.

You could probably also go straight to CS with the product before buying and do it all in one transaction there--has anyone tried that?
Old 05-27-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,120 Likes on 1,632 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Not exactly...The wording is "They buy products, apply for rebates, return the purchases, then buy them back at returned-merchandise discounts"
Big difference.
Ah, you're right, sorry about the confusion. Didn't think it was possible to do that, since for most rebates you have to cut out the UPC, and they won't take returns without UPCs. Though they are getting rid of rebates altogether, so it's a moot point anyway.
Old 05-28-05, 06:48 PM

Received 834 Likes on 545 Posts
Originally Posted by atari2600
well ill admit, if i see an insane deal at BB ill still go buy it but ive been shopping there for years and never seen a deal THAT good that i couldnt pass up or couldnt get somewhere else.
Do you know how many 10% OFF camera coupons I get/see every year?

Sorry, but I have to laugh at that.... nothing personal atari2600.
Old 05-30-05, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love best buy personally. Sure the employees are shitty sometimes but last time i was in there they really took care of me. I was looking for a tv. Saw a nice 32 inch tv for 300 dollars. The guy in the back told me that it wasn't working very well (floor model only) and showed me a nice 32 tv for only 225 dollars. Great price right? Well i checked it out and told him i'd take it. He walks over to put it in the computer and gives me back the piece of paper to take to the register. It has 199 written on it. So not only did he get me a better tv for much cheaper, he even bumped off another 25 dollars for the hell of it (i didn't even ask for that, i was happy with 225) So that's ok atari... I'll just give them more business to make up for what they lost from you