Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Never Add A Bank Account To Paypal....ever

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 04-06-05, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anything goes wrong, PAYPAL will make sure to make it worse. Don't ever expect a sane response from paypal on anything and you will never be dissapointed.
Old 04-06-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

uh, thanks?
Old 04-06-05, 12:13 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Wow! That was a awesome, scary, disturbing story. You REALLY scared me not to add a bank account to Paypal. Thanks SO much for the warning! After what happened to you, I would go NUTS!
Old 04-06-05, 12:42 PM

Well, imagine someone goes on a spending sprees with your stolen checks/ach etc. bringing your bank account to say -$1 to keep things simple. Now regardless of whether you have been a victim of fraud and kept paypal informed of whatever happened, they will act as if you never communicated with them and try to put through charges multiple times. Now unless you happen to be banking at the BANK of ETERNAL HAPPINESS or some other fantastical institution that exists in the same realm as the Unicorn, you will get hit for overdraft fees each bleeding time. Paypal is like the freakin Termninator, they will not stop at anything, short of dropping a nuke on their servers.

If you EVER have any problems with a paypal linked bank account, immediately call your bank and put stop payments on anything that has the slightest possiblity of being charged back to paypal. Paypal will completely ignore anything you say to them via email or phone, regardless of how nice, polite or how much of a long term member(over 5 years) you have been with them.

Be forewarned and CALL YOUR BANK IMMEDIATELY. Even if you have to send Paypal a money order or pay with a borrowed credit card, DONT EXPECT THEM TO ACT LIKE A LEGITIMATE BUSINESS THAT WANTS YOU AS A CUSTOMER LONGTERM. You will be sadly dissapointed. Treat them like the Charles Manson of the financial world and you will minimize any damage from the paypal end of things.

I know this has all been said before on various anti-paypal sites, but I really needed to throw in my two bits.

Long Term Paypal Customer
Old 04-06-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the clarification .... assuming that all was clear to someone, even if it somehow escaped my comprehension.
Old 04-06-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts
bringing your bank account to say -$1 to keep things simple. Now regardless of whether you have been a victim of fraud and kept paypal informed of whatever happened, they will act as if you never communicated with them and try to put through charges multiple times. Now unless you happen to be banking at the BANK of ETERNAL HAPPINESS or some other fantastical institution that exists in the same realm as the Unicorn, you will get hit for overdraft fees each bleeding time.

Most banks will do that as well. We recently 'bounced' one thing, and everything after that charged us the fee, for a total of 4 times. We eventually called up and kissed their toes so they waived 2 of them, but they didn't 'have' to.

And when my Paypal balance has gone below 0, they've sent me an email to say 'Please add money,' which I did. If I use my Paypal debit card, and there's not enough money, it denies the charge [came in handy with Reservation Rewards].
Old 04-09-05, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i think i just got dumber reading through this thread.

what i still dont understand. you cant overcharge your paypal account. like dtcarson said..whatever is in there is all you can spend. if you dont have enough to cover a charge its fine. paypal doesnt have checks (at least not that i'm aware of) so that must be your banks problem, you can send money via paypal, but if there isnt enough money in your checking account to cover it, it wont go through. i'm really missing where paypal is to blame for any of this. if youre making as much sense talking to paypal as you do posting here, no wonder they're ignoring you.

what bank are you using? maybe thats who you should be warning us to stay away from
Old 04-09-05, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by TaTTooD
i think i just got dumber reading through this thread.
Old 04-10-05, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 390 Likes on 253 Posts
I think that Paypal used to be able to go into your account and take money without asking if there was a chargeback, but I've read posts on the ebay boards that claimed they can't do that anymore (either lawsuits caused a change in policy or a change in the law). Anyone know if this is true or just ebay board bs?
Old 04-10-05, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 184 Posts
I had something similar happen, actually. Someone authorized payment to a company that, as far as I could tell, didn't have any products or services. It caused my bank account to go into overdraft protection, which charged me fees. When my normal checks started coming in, I was charged more fees, until the overdraft protection ran out. Then I started getting returned check fees. This was until I got the mailed notification from my bank.
I filled out an unauthorized payment or something like that on paypals website. I then called them to see what could be done about it, and they basically said nothing. I said I wanted my account frozen until it was straightened out, and they said I still had one more pending transfer. I asked them to stop it, and they said they couldn't until it had been ran 3 times, once each day I think.
I called my bank, and had them freeze my account. I explained the situation, filled out some forms, got my money back, aside from the fees. The bank wouldn't give me the fees back because it wasn't their fault paypal charged me, and paypal claimed they wouldn't because the bank charged it to me. I'm sure if I would have fought it longer and harder, I could have got the money back, but I was tired of dealing with it.
At the end of it all, I closed my paypal account, closed my bank account, opened a new one, and decided I wasn't going to mess with paypal again.

Hopefully you can understand that post, since I can't totally remember what all happened. I could understand the op's post, though.
Old 04-10-05, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought at one time that I read with Paypal that you no longer have to register with an account for them to make purchases at sites. You can do a one-time transaction so you don't have to have a "history" with them. Is that still true?
Old 04-10-05, 04:46 AM

interesting tip, i'll keep it in mind, but i doubt i would do such a thing in the first place.
Old 04-10-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by marty888
Thanks for the clarification .... assuming that all was clear to someone, even if it somehow escaped my comprehension.
That was perfectly clear to anyone who has had a checking account. Geez.

But thanks for the warning! I've resisted their advances and attempts to get my checking account number, and I will continue to do so.
Old 04-10-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ive never trusted paypal, never will.
Old 04-11-05, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 184 Posts
When I used it, you had up to a certain amount before verifying the account. To verify, you added either a bank account, or a credit card. I think that's how it worked. I, apparently incorrectly, added a bank account.
Old 04-11-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
I had a similar experience a number of months ago. Someone broke into my paypal account, withdrew ~$700 from my bank account and then e-mailed another account the funds. If your bank account is FDIC insured, then the bank should refund all of your money + any fees they charged you. However, I will NEVER again link an account to paypal. It was very time consumming trying to get everything sorted out with paypal. My bank was much easier to work with.
Old 04-11-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
When I signed up for paypal, they definitely encouraged you (via some sort of additional benefits) to sign up using a bank account. I don't really trust them, so I used a credit card.
Old 04-12-05, 02:26 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

i would keep a very minimum amount in my checking account,(an account to be used specifically for eBay/PP) so that should someone break into my PP account an somehow authorize a transfer of money from CA to PP-the most you could lose would be say, $50-if you have a large purchase, add the money the day after you purchase something-thus youve less of a window for frauds...

Last edited by Seashellz; 04-12-05 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-13-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not necessarily, because your bank just might allow further transactions based on your history with them.

I agree....never link your bank account to Paypal.
Old 04-19-05, 07:59 AM

Ok, I guess I'm just a big sucker, because I've had a PayPal account linked to my checking account for the last 4 or 5 years. Never had any problems with this setup, but everyone's warnings and horror stories have scared me into action. Last night I closed my PP account, then opened a shiny new one that is NOT linked to my checking.

So help a dumb guy out--how do I put money into this new account without giving them my checking account number? Credit card? Telegram? Psychic transfer?
Old 04-19-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by redskull47
Ok, I guess I'm just a big sucker, because I've had a PayPal account linked to my checking account for the last 4 or 5 years. Never had any problems with this setup, but everyone's warnings and horror stories have scared me into action. Last night I closed my PP account, then opened a shiny new one that is NOT linked to my checking.

So help a dumb guy out--how do I put money into this new account without giving them my checking account number? Credit card? Telegram? Psychic transfer?
Whenever you send money, the exact amount will be charged to your credit card. Any money you receive will stay in your Paypal account until you spend it; funds will revert back to coming from your credit card once your balance is exhausted.
Old 04-20-05, 11:37 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Colleen
Whenever you send money, the exact amount will be charged to your credit card. Any money you receive will stay in your Paypal account until you spend it; funds will revert back to coming from your credit card once your balance is exhausted.
Still poses an issue for people that sell stuff online but rarely buy.

In that regard, I think you can have paypal mail you a check, but their may be a fee attached.

I don't really see it as any more risking that having my checking info on sites like Verizon to use for paying bills.
Old 04-25-05, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Paypal is not a bank anyway, sue them and get your money back, paypal never shows up to court anyways. Do a seach on google or something.