Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

How can you sell a concert ticket for so much on ebay?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 03-14-05, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tickets for the final leg of U2's North American Tour went on sale Saturday morning and sold out within a half hour. I was able to nab a few tickets, but not exactly what I wanted.
I went onto Ebay Sunday and saw a ton of tickets being sold for more than 200% of face value.
My question is, how is this possible/legal considering it is illegal to do so outside on the street before a show?
A buddy of mine says it's legal because it's bidding/auction.
Old 03-14-05, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I used to sell tickets thru ebay last summer...It is a great way to make money: I spent $1300 on Tix, and got $2700 back. Ebay will tell you when you cannot sell a ticket for more than face value. It has a list of states that you cannot sell higher than face - I think NY and IL are def. in there...Other than that it is legal...So sell away, you have nothing to worry about.

I think your friend is right- it is bidding through a monitored site.
Old 03-14-05, 10:04 AM

In states that don't allow you to sell for more than face value - ie. Florida which prohibits the reselling of tickets above face value + $1 - what people do on eBay is falsely list the face value of the ticket. For example, if a U2 ticket costs $50, legally a person could only resell it for a maximum of $51 (in Florida). However, when eBay asks you to list the face value, you can put $300 and they would never know the difference as they do not require proof of this. Thus you can now sell it for $301. The person buying the ticket probably won't care because they're willing to spend that much to see a show regardless of price.

By the way I am not in any way recommending anyone do this as it is illegal. But I know people who have done this, and that is how.
Old 03-14-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 171 Posts
The secret here is to put something else in the bid...like a U2 ticket and a U2 T-shirt. The ticket is "free" - you're bidding on the T-shirt! It's the best way to legally get around state's scalping laws.
Old 03-14-05, 05:22 PM

I'll never buy tickets off ebay again. Last summer I bought tickets to 2 shows that were cancelled. I emailed for months trying to get the money back from the sellers & knowing that Ticketmaster.com had already refunded them the money. I eventually (like 4 or 5 months later) got the $130 I spent on one concert back. But I spent almost $200 on tickets to the other concert. The seller agreed to refund, then ignored my emails. Eventually they were suspended from ebay, probably from doing this to others, but that doesn't get me my money back. I know $200 isn't a lot to some people, but it is to me. From now on I buy only from Ticketmaster, even if I have to get seats in the last row of the stadium (pretty much where I'll be for the Maroon 5 concert I'm going to soon).
Old 03-14-05, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by paulringodaman
It has a list of states that you cannot sell higher than face - I think NY and IL are def. in there...
Which is odd, since there are a million ticket agencies in Chicago that sell tickets for WAY WAY over face value.
Old 03-17-05, 03:03 PM

So, what are the legal ramifications for this? Sounds like a free-for-all to me!
Old 03-17-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Which is odd, since there are a million ticket agencies in Chicago that sell tickets for WAY WAY over face value.
If I'm not mistaken, ticket agencies are exempt from this law and can sell tickets at any price they want.
Old 03-17-05, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've sold two Kenny Chesney tickets for $280. I payed $160 for them. I bought two tickets to Green Day and in a few weeks it was sold out. Now tickets are going on eBay for $200 plus! I bought two for $70 from ticketmaster. I should have bought 6 and sold the two other sets on eBay.
Old 03-17-05, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's nothing like the comradery shown between music fans when they completely fuck each other over by scalping tickets.
Old 03-17-05, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wewantflair
There's nothing like the comradery shown between music fans when they completely fuck each other over by scalping tickets.
You know, that's a very true statement. But if "I" don't buy them, scalp them and make money, someone else is going to. The investment is one that can pay double even triple in some cases.

I can openly say that I hate scalpers, because I have been shut out of concert tickets, or gotten nosebleed seats when buying my tickets at 10:00:03 AM (when tickets go on sale at 10). It's sad, because the quote is true..."You know the man you hate? You look more like him everyday "
Old 03-17-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's what people get for not planning ahead and buying tickets when they go on sale. Why would you wait until they are sold out? With ticketmaster.com there is no excuse not to get tickets the day they go on sale. It takes 5 min.
Old 03-18-05, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"They got what they deserved" is certainly an excellent rationale for unethical behavior. Around New Year's I wanted tickets to the K-rock Tsunami relief show. They went on sale at 12 or 1 in the afternoon, while I was teaching a class. By the time I was finished, the shows were sold out. People were somehow selling these tickets on ebay for a profit - to a charity show. If that kind of behavior isn't scummy, I just don't know what is.
Old 03-18-05, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"They got what they deserved" is certainly an excellent rationale for unethical behavior. Around New Year's I wanted tickets to the K-rock Tsunami relief show. They went on sale at 12 or 1 in the afternoon, while I was teaching a class. By the time I was finished, the shows were sold out. People were somehow selling these tickets on ebay for a profit - to a charity show. If that kind of behavior isn't scummy, I just don't know what is.

Well every concert isn't for charity. So your example means nothing. How is it immoral to sell something for a profit if people are willing to buy it for that price? It's called capitalism. On ebay people could have paid what you paid for it but others would pay more so the price goes up. I fail to see how it's unethical.
Old 03-18-05, 09:17 AM

Not all tickets that are sold on ebay go for a premium. I was able to get 4 tickets (2 games, 2 tickets each) to the Minnesota Twins playoffs last season for a grand total of $36.00. The face value of a single ticket was around $30.00 so I was real happy with the price I paid. I won the first pair for $13.00 and the second pair went for a whopping $3.00. I paid more in shipping since they had to be FedExed overnight from New York. Too bad they didn't fair too well though.

Drew
Old 03-18-05, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by paulringodaman
I can openly say that I hate scalpers, because I have been shut out of concert tickets, or gotten nosebleed seats when buying my tickets at 10:00:03 AM (when tickets go on sale at 10). It's sad, because the quote is true..."You know the man you hate? You look more like him everyday "
Sometimes you can't even get the good tickets the day they actually go on sale, because they have a presale open to whatever credit card company & only those people can get the best tickets. I don't have a credit card. I have a debit card for online, phone, etc. purchases. So because I don't want to be in debt thousands of dollars like most of America, I'm not eligible to buy good seats. That's ridiculous.
Old 03-19-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just think it's wrong to take advantage of someone by selling them something at way over its face value. I'm just the kind of person that would much rather find that person out there that really wanted to go, but couldn't get a ticket, and make their day by helping them out and selling it for no more than face value and what it would cost to send the tickets.

I, me, my.....nobody seems to care about helping others anymore (without something being in it for them), it's all about making a buck for yourself. It's so sad that the almighty dollar is more important.
Old 03-19-05, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why is it illegal to scapt tickets but totally legal to sell other things for well over the retail value. Ebay is the ring at this. It is totally legal for someone to go buy a Transformer at $20 and put it on ebay and sell it for $40. Just how is this different than a concert/game ticket. I think that as soon as the person pays for it, they can do whatever they want with it since it is theirs. As long as they were open for everyone to buy, too bad for people that didn't act in time to buy their own.
Old 03-19-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jpdude
I just think it's wrong to take advantage of someone by selling them something at way over its face value. I'm just the kind of person that would much rather find that person out there that really wanted to go, but couldn't get a ticket, and make their day by helping them out and selling it for no more than face value and what it would cost to send the tickets.

I, me, my.....nobody seems to care about helping others anymore (without something being in it for them), it's all about making a buck for yourself. It's so sad that the almighty dollar is more important.
I don't see how it is taking advantage of anyone. You are selling a product. Just like anything else. Is it wrong that Best Buy takes a $350 TV and sells it for $500? "Aww he really wants it so I think I'll sell it for cost." When does Best Buy ever say that? How are tickets any different?
Old 03-19-05, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jpdude

Taking advantage happens once you get to the concert...$35 tour shirts, $7 beers, $4 sodas, $3 hot dogs...

Even if you don't sell tickets at higher costs, you still perpetuate it by buying them. Take U2 tix on ebay; if no one bothered to bid, the scalper would lower his reserve or his/her starting bid and expectations of money, thus giving him less profit and less profit would mean that he perhaps would not want to be a scalper anymore because it is not worth the trouble. Just don't buy scalped tickets, thats the only way to stop scalping. As one poster said above me with the $350 TV at Best Buy (which they sell at $500) if no one bought it, they would lower the price, and we would all get cheaper prices.

Last edited by paulringodaman; 03-19-05 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-24-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
True story:

Back in Summer 2001, I entered a contest to buy (not "win") Radiohead concert tickets for their upcoming show at Madison Square Garden (August 8, 2001). These tickets, which cost $50, got you into a special section right near the front. I actually won and bought four tickets: one for me, my girlfriend, my brother (who was in Staten Island at the time) and my friend Dave. Two weeks before the show, Dave backs out for whatever reason, and I already paid $50 for his ticket! So I put it on eBay, and some chump shells out $250 for it (I was only trying to recoup the $50, since they didn't give refunds). Bottom line: I got paid $50 to see Radiohead from the front row.