Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

As you guys said Netflix recieving twice as long now

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 02-25-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys sure called it. 4th week into my membership and now suddenly what once took 1 day is taking 3 days on everything. I cant seem find thread that may answer this but how long do you recommend waiting to cancel/retry? Do you guys just cancel every month and just wait few mins? days? Or does that not work. You need cancel after 3 months or something? I wish they just be honest say what limit amount per plan is so I know if I am watching them to fast.
Old 02-25-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It really depends as not all similar customers are treated the same, so not all tactics for quitting/rejoining work the same.

And sometimes, the service seems to get better on its own (mine is a little better now than it was. I only get delays early in the week now).

I would think, though, that you'd have to stay quit for a period of time (something like a month or more) before restarting would work, but I don't know that for a fact (or that it would be universal).
Old 02-26-05, 06:05 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
About a year ago I dropped Netflix. At the beginning of February I signed back up and have been monitoring the shipping times. Needless to say, I've gotten quite perturbed.

Background: I am in Cincinnati and my DVDs are shipped out of Louisville (a little more than an hour away).

When I get an email stating that a DVD has shipped, it is almost always in my mailbox the very next business day (nearly 100% of the time). But, when I send the DVD back to Netflix, it always takes 4-5 days before it shows up online as having been returned. Then they take about 24 hours before they pick and send the next choice from my que. Thus, I'm averaging about a week between the day I drop the DVD in the mail and receiving my next selection.

This bites!!

By the way, I have tried shipping back from various locations with the same results. I have shipped from the drop-box in my apartment building, various USPS Mail Boxes located on street corners and even the main branch of the Post Office here in Cincinnati.

So, here's my theory: Netflix is purposely NOT checking movies in on the day they receive them. I find it hard to believe that the Post Office would have incredible fast delivery between Cincinnati and Louisville and stupendously slow delivery for the return trip. It just doesn't make sense!

But, you know what DOES make sense? Netflix has a motive for slowing down the receiving end because that lowers the number of rentals one can get in a month's time and saves them on postage!

Now, here's the "CONSPIRACY THEORY": Who knows, they may actually be sending another customer the movie you shipped back before admitting to you that it has actually been returned at all. All it would take is a good computer program that would simply "delay" notication that your movie has already been returned.

They could probably even adjust the time period for notification of returned DVDs dependent upon seasonal demand. I can hear it now: "Hey, we're really busy right now! Somebody update our computer system so that all returned movies don't 'officially' get checked in for three additional days". In the meantime, they send your 'unreturned' movie to someone who has it in their que and you sit at home for the extra 3 days twiddling your thumbs, cursing the Post Office and wondering why your movie hasn't made it back to Netflix yet.

Nice theory, huh? But, it wouldn't surprise me if it's true!
Old 02-26-05, 08:06 PM
Suspended

meh even if it is delayed by 3 days you still get more for the money. I mean try going back to blockbuster and see how much you could be saving with netflix.
Old 02-27-05, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 224 Likes on 180 Posts
It's amazing how many threads get started about the exact same thing with the exact same company. In each thread you get the people who complain, the people who praise, and the people who go both ways.

Here's mine:
It comes and goes. Sometimes I'll get really quick turnaround, other times I don't. I personally don't care. As long as I have movies to watch when I want to, I'll keep them. Of course, I also don't watch 20 movies a day like some people.
Old 02-27-05, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by zidane349
meh even if it is delayed by 3 days you still get more for the money. I mean try going back to blockbuster and see how much you could be saving with netflix.
At least when I was going to Blockbuster I could check out 2 movies per day if I wanted to. Now, with Netflix, I'm lucky if I get 2-3 movies every two weeks. I can't wait for Amazon to jump into the mix. I plan to switch immediately!!
Old 02-27-05, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All I have to say is... IF YOUR NOT HAPPY, THEN STOP USING THEM!!! How many threads do we have to have on this topic? Conspiracy theories, blablabla.. or not, stop paying them money and find a different source for your movies if you're unhappy! Man I'm sick seeing these threads.
Old 02-28-05, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 373 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by mndtrp
It's amazing how many threads get started about the exact same thing with the exact same company. In each thread you get the people who complain, the people who praise, and the people who go both ways.

Here's mine:
It comes and goes. Sometimes I'll get really quick turnaround, other times I don't. I personally don't care. As long as I have movies to watch when I want to, I'll keep them. Of course, I also don't watch 20 movies a day like some people.

Come on now . . . none of us watches more than 10 movies in a day, and only on weekends. Let's not get ridiculous here.

My theory is that when movies take a long time getting to me, they're from a different warehouse (sometimes 2 of 3 movies will get here in a day and the other one lags even though they claim it shipped). Maybe those movies go back to the more distant warehouse too. It would be simple to check this theory out, but I haven't.
Old 02-28-05, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by dvde
All I have to say is... IF YOUR NOT HAPPY, THEN STOP USING THEM!!! How many threads do we have to have on this topic? Conspiracy theories, blablabla.. Man I'm sick seeing these threads.
Thanks for the thread-crap!

To use your own logic: All I have to say is... IF YOU'RE SICK OF SEEING THESE THREADS, THEN STOP READING THEM!! It's not like we're holding a holding a gun to your head.

But, I do get a kick out of some of your short retorts. Here are some of my favorites:

"Who cares!" - 06/18/04
"All I have to say is 'Deal With It'" - 06/06/04
"Blablablablaaa..." - 04/17/04
Old 02-28-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tasha99
My theory is that when movies take a long time getting to me, they're from a different warehouse (sometimes 2 of 3 movies will get here in a day and the other one lags even though they claim it shipped). Maybe those movies go back to the more distant warehouse too. It would be simple to check this theory out, but I haven't.
All it would take it looking at the envelope.

In my experience, the movies shipped from distant warehouses (and you can tell from the code on the envelope) don't go back to the distant warehouse.

My Netflix experience is explained by the way they admittedly do business. My discs are delayed an extra day before shipping because they have more discs to ship in a day from my shipping center than they have capacity to ship. Because I'm a heavier renter, I go to the end of the line and my discs are shipped the next day (though this usually only happens on Mondays and Tuesdays now. Anything they receive from me Wednesday or later gets a replacement shipment sent the next day more often than not these days, though that was not the case from December through mid-February when everything was delayed an extra day regardless).

It's funny to me, though, that these policies can actually result in making Netflix less money. For example, I was on the 8-at-a-time plan, because of the delays, I went down to the 5-at-a-time plan. While I don't get as many movies in total as I did on the 8-at-a-time plan, I pay less money per disc than I did on the 8-at-a-time plan. So, Netflix is getting less per rental from me AND less money overall from me than they did before due specifically to the way they chose to allocate their resources.
Old 02-28-05, 05:17 PM

Someone mentioned Amazon. Are they going to start a rental service for US customers? I know that they already have it in the UK.