Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

best buy selling boomtown OVER the retail price, is this legal?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

best buy selling boomtown OVER the retail price, is this legal?

Old 02-18-05, 10:49 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Rypro 525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: a frikin hellhole
Posts: 28,263
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
best buy selling boomtown OVER the retail price, is this legal?

when i was at best buy yesterday, i was shocked to see that they put stickers on the boomtown dvds that said 47.99, when i know the retail price of the dvd is only 34.99 (and they put the sticker over what ever the original price they had was.
Old 02-18-05, 10:58 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
wewantflair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Mastic, NY
Posts: 1,816
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course it's legal. They could sticker them at $1000 each if they wanted to do so.
Old 02-18-05, 11:41 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Aostin, TX, USA
Posts: 19,875
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
...retail price
You apparently know what the RP in MSRP stands for. Now go look up the rest.
Old 02-19-05, 02:00 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Posts: 6,196
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
manuf suggested retail price..
Old 02-19-05, 02:41 AM
  #5  
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 11,477
Received 161 Likes on 128 Posts
Sounds like a good 110% pricematch opportunity.
Old 02-19-05, 01:37 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,791
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Best Buy is sometimes very slow with price drops. This originally had an MSRP of $49.99. It dropped to $34.99.

I'm sure that you noticed that Best Buy's prices aren't that much lower than MSRP for some titles these days.
Old 02-19-05, 04:30 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,349
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
when i was at best buy yesterday, i was shocked to see that they put stickers on the boomtown dvds that said 47.99, when i know the retail price of the dvd is only 34.99 (and they put the sticker over what ever the original price they had was.
Of course it is legal.

Where do you think the markdowns for sales come from!
Old 02-19-05, 09:48 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Times Square
Posts: 12,135
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Stop by an FYE store .... last time I looked most $14.95 MSRP titles were priced $15.95, and many $19.95 MSRP titles were priced $21.95.

If they can find enough really stupid people to shop there, why not?
Old 02-20-05, 10:34 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 44,133
Received 2,820 Likes on 1,939 Posts
Yes, it's perfectly legal. A retailer can sell an item at any price it wants to. Unless they have a contract with the manufacturer to not sell their items below a certain price.
Old 02-20-05, 06:02 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,190
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know that stores can charge whatever they want. but how about stores that intentionally misrepresent the MSRP? FYE has the MSRP printed on their price sticker, with their price above it. it makes it look like the customer is getting a bargain but in fact the MSRP is inflated, and their price is higher than MSRP after discount.

for example, most of their rap CDs are listed with a $19.98 MSRP and their price after discount is $17.98. the REAL MSRP is 12.98.
Old 02-21-05, 09:08 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,349
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by scarredgod
i know that stores can charge whatever they want. but how about stores that intentionally misrepresent the MSRP? FYE has the MSRP printed on their price sticker, with their price above it. it makes it look like the customer is getting a bargain but in fact the MSRP is inflated, and their price is higher than MSRP after discount.

for example, most of their rap CDs are listed with a $19.98 MSRP and their price after discount is $17.98. the REAL MSRP is 12.98.
Now you are catching on . . .

Welcome to the world of retail. Lesson learned! Do not ever believe that something is really on sale. The only way to purchase something is to decide if it is worth that price to YOU!
Old 02-21-05, 10:26 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 6,459
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by marty888
Stop by an FYE store .... last time I looked most $14.95 MSRP titles were priced $15.95, and many $19.95 MSRP titles were priced $21.95.

If they can find enough really stupid people to shop there, why not?
Exactly what I was going to write.
Old 02-21-05, 02:33 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,152
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also, keep in mind that it's quite possible it'll ring up cheaper than the sticker price too. I've found BB's stickered prices to be very unreliable. Most recently, I picked up Back To The Future, and it rang up at $24.99, but was stickered at $34.99. I know that's happened to me many times in the past too.
Old 02-21-05, 03:07 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Originally From The Keystone State
Posts: 1,859
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BestBuy is also notorius for stickering different copies of the same title with different prices, but they all have the same part numbers. Whenever you are buying a title that is not a new release look through ALL of the copies on the shelves. I've found some titles stickered for say $19.99 and others for $9.99 of the same title with the same part number listed. Get a $9.99 copy and take it to the register. As long as the sticker is for the same part number they have to give it to you for the $9.99.
Old 02-21-05, 04:01 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Maxflier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 13,298
Received 252 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Spanky BananaPants
Also, keep in mind that it's quite possible it'll ring up cheaper than the sticker price too. I've found BB's stickered prices to be very unreliable. Most recently, I picked up Back To The Future, and it rang up at $24.99, but was stickered at $34.99. I know that's happened to me many times in the past too.

Same happened to me last week,i picked up Highlander Immortal edition in the Tin case along with some other DVD's and it was priced like $25 or so and i didnt realize until i got home that it rang up $14.99.
Old 02-23-05, 04:33 PM
  #16  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 111
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BB's online store is worse, the Fanny and Alexander 5 disk set is 70 bucks, $10 over the msrp, it's $40 in store (which is a good price, but Suncoast has it mis-priced for $30)

Fassbinder's the BRD trilogy (also Criterion) has an msrp of $80, BB online has it for $100. Same with the Orphic trilogy, I'm not checking all, but I assume there's more.

I also saw Pick Up on South Street for $33, when the msrp is $30, but BB has some good prices on certain things you don't expect to find (Blue Sunshine for $18, Reform School Girls for $6....)
Old 02-25-05, 02:31 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
Posts: 1,856
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My friend and I both bought the Ultimate Jordan set at BB. His copy was marked $24.99 and rang up at $19.99. My copy was marked $19.99 and rang up at $24.99.

And yes, we were there at the same time. I didn't notice his copy was marked $5 more until we were in line. His order went first, then mine.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.