Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Square Trade is involved in my dispute with a buyer at eBay. Advice?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 02-08-05, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sold a DVD on the 12th of December. The customer lived in Canada. I mailed the item one or two days after I received a Pay Pal payment. I usually buy delivery confirmation, but as we all know, there is no delivery confirmation for items shipped outside of the US.

The customer is claiming that he has not received the item. I don't doubt him, because I've had some Canadian customers waiting over two months for their items [this is not typical, however]. I ship items headed to Canada with Air Mail service, which is supposed to arrive in 4-7 days.

As a side note, I've noticed a memo in post offices recently stating that Canadian Customs is now requiring the name, address and country on all pieces of incoming mail to be in all capital letters. There was no such memo in December, so I addressed the package using capital letters as appropriate.

Anyway, the buyer has now recruited Square Trade to help settle the dispute. I have agreed to participate in the "Process."

So, my questions are, how do you think this will end? Also, if you were in my position, and perhaps maybe you were, how would you handle the situation? And, most importantly, is it possible this guy could get his money back from me without me agreeing to do so?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-08-05, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Square Trade is generally useless - they have no power to do anything with your money. He could do a Paypal chargeback on you, so you could get the money yanked out of your bank account by Paypal.
Old 02-08-05, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by wewantflair
Square Trade is generally useless - they have no power to do anything with your money. He could do a Paypal chargeback on you, so you could get the money yanked out of your bank account by Paypal.
Is there anything I could do to prevent that [short of closing my PayPal account, of course]?
Old 02-08-05, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 382 Likes on 271 Posts
I've had the same thing happen. Twice, recently. I just refunded their money, and let them keep the equipment. I lost a bunch. But it's better than having an unhappy customer on my consience.

How much was the item? No disregard for your money, but it may not be worth the worries. They really do just come to a DEAD STOP in Customs sometimes. For future reference, it helps, if only a little, to have an invoice pouch on the outside of the box.

Maybe call him on the phone, and apologetically say that it's most likely stuck in customs.

When I ship to Canada, I always exagerate, and say "air-mail can take up to a month". And I usually nearly force them to go with Global Express.
Old 02-08-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wewantflair
Can he do a Paypal chargeback, being that its been more than 30 days?

Of course, if he paid with a credit card, he can dispute the charges and get the money back from Paypal, then Paypal will try to take the money from evitagen.
Old 02-09-05, 08:21 AM

So is there nothing I can do? Is there a limitation on how much time can pass before he can no longer do a chargeback?
Old 02-09-05, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A chargeback can be done up to 90 days after the payment was sent.
Old 02-09-05, 12:15 PM

Before the time 90 days have passed, he'll probably get his item. I'll see if I can wait it out a bit longer. Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 02-09-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 382 Likes on 271 Posts
Originally Posted by missflores
A chargeback can be done up to 90 days after the payment was sent.
PayPal said that a few banks even do 6 months!
Old 02-10-05, 07:56 PM

A seller tried to use Square Trade with me after I left them negative feedback for not shipping an item to me.

Square Trade was absolutely useless. Basically you communicate through an arbitrator. The arbitrator that we got did not speak English too well and didn't address my questions and concerns when going through arbitration. So I basically stopped the process once I got my merchandise. I would never use Square Trade myself.