Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Disneydirect.com offering FULLSCREEN only for INCREDIBLES Dvd

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-05, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, I had preordered The incredibles (Widescreen) from Disneydirect.com. Mostly for the Lithos. In any case I cancelled my order after I was informed they will be selling the Foolscreen only version. I guess I feel like I am voting with my dollars and even though I want the Lithos I wont stand up for this crap.
Old 02-03-05, 07:51 PM

Just in case you have 4:3 tv and not 16:9, you should know that Pixar fullscreen dvds don't lose any picture information, they reposition the elements to fit a 4:3 ratio. So it's not cropped or anything, and usually works just as well.

Though if you have a widescreen tv that's a moot point.
Old 02-03-05, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the heads up, I was about to pre-order with them also for the lithos. Just checked their website and it says "now available in a Collector's Edition 2-Disc Fullscreen DVD or VHS".
Old 02-04-05, 03:33 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, that's incredibly stupid of them.
Old 03-16-05, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So this stupid story gets better (or worse) depending on how you look at it. I at first cancelled my preorder in protest of the full screen only offering. Later I decided I really wanted the Lithos and would give away the Foolscreen DVD. So I ordered and yesterday it shows up with you guessed a Widescreen DVD. So bottom line is disneydirect.com sucks.
Old 03-16-05, 12:03 PM

I preordered this at a disney store and said I wanted the widescreen version.I went by today to pick it up and they gave me a fullscreen copy. I then asked for a widescreen copy and was told all they had ordered were fullscreen. I then asked for a refund but they would not do that because I did not have the original receipt all I had was the voucher receipt. Then I was told to exchange it a bestbuy "because that is what everyone else is doing that wanted widescreen". They wouldn't even let me exchange it for a different dvd.
Old 03-16-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes I had gone by the disney store and they flat told me they were getting ZERO widescreen copies.

And I have had the same problem trying to exchange FOOLSCREEN for Widescreen, they have different UPC's so Best Buy/ Target/ etc. treat them as different products and wont do a exchange only a return (w/ receipt). Walmart will take it back though, but only a couple a year without receipt.
Old 03-16-05, 01:15 PM

Got mine from disneydirect.com w/lithos yesterday both were in WS...

DG
Old 03-16-05, 01:37 PM

I have not tried to exchange it anywhere else yet. Best Buy will usually let me exchange unopened dvds for a store credit. I just tell them I need to pick up a few other things as well. Of course that was before Best Buy started classifying people as devils, so we shall see how that goes. I just didn't understand why the Disney store would not let me exchange it for a different title.
Old 03-16-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
HERE's my experience with this ridiculousness.
Old 03-16-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What's even more messed up is some people are reporting that the orders there placed online are showing up as Widescreen editions. So it sounds like you could have placed your order online and received Widescreen. But that would have been risky.
Old 03-16-05, 05:22 PM

I called bestbuy and told them that the manager at the Disney store told me to peel the Disney store label off and take it to Best buy, because they would not know the difference.The C.S. rep at B.B. told me to bring it in and she would give me the widescreen version. So I took it to B.B. and got my widescreen. A big Phamks to B.B. Also the only reason I told B.B. what Disney told me to do was so hopefully the manager would call Disney and say something ,because the 3 workers at Disney were rude to me and laughed whille denying me even an exchange for another dvd.
Old 03-16-05, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,934 Likes on 1,496 Posts
Two things:

1. I cannot believe that the disney store workers told you to go deceive another retail store.

2. If the voucher is enough proof to allow you to pick up the movie for free, why isn't it good enough to obtain a full refund?

And I don't completely understand the post that talks about Pixar "repositioning" things for the fullscreen release. How do they do that?
Old 03-16-05, 06:03 PM

Believe it they would not even let me exchange it for something I did not already have. I was told that all exchanges or refunds for dvds or vhs had to have the origional receipt. I even pointed out the back of the receipt they handed me after I gave them my voucher that said any merchandise returned without a receipt will be given the lowest price in store credit that the item was sold for in the last 30 days and they laughed and said that does not apply to dvds. I then came home and had someone else call and say they needed to return an item without receipt.Disney store asked what type of item. the reply was a dvd. Then Disney store asked which dvd. response was the Incredibles. Disney replied why? The answer was I wanted a Widescreen and was not told when I preordered that was all you were getting in. Disneys answer no.
Old 03-16-05, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I can see them turning you away if you had a copy of the Incredibles but no proof that you bought it there... after all, they don't want to be rotating stock like they apparently want Best Buy to. But if you walked in with a voucher, rightfully got the dvd, saw that it wasn't what you wanted and asked for a refund, I fail to see why they turned you back. As I said, the voucher was good enough to get the movie from them, why can't they refund your money (or look up your purchase in the computer)?
Old 03-16-05, 07:36 PM

They could have given me a refund or exchanged it, which i was willing to do, but they did not want to. They were rude to me the whole time as well as to my wife who called and asked about it also. They simply were being movie nazis about the whole thing (no widescreen for you!) and I was calm the entire time and did not raise my voice at all.
Old 03-16-05, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
And I don't completely understand the post that talks about Pixar "repositioning" things for the fullscreen release. How do they do that?
What they did with Finding Nemo was to rerender the film with additional graphical elements both above and below the original frame in order to fill out a 4:3 aspect ratio. Open matte as it were.

Presumably this is what they do for all their fullscreen editions, but I am only familiar with Finding Nemo.

So you actually get more Pixar goodness, but it ain't OAR.
Old 03-17-05, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, that's a good idea (and obviously only possible with something like digital animation). So you don't lose out on the picture, you just gain a little more. Man, I wish they released widescreen and fullscreen together, I'd love to see this. Thanks for the info!
Old 03-17-05, 01:52 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
More than just open matte, I seem to remember back when Bug's Life came out, that they actually changed the composition, and even the focal length to bring characters closer together to fit in the frame. Basically with the whole movie available digitally, they can just move a 'virtual' camera around to reframe the entire movie.