Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy asking for customer phone number during cashier transaction - why?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 01-26-05, 09:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I purchased Predator 2 yesterday, and the sales clerk asked for my phone number, which I have never been asked before. Another customer near me, was taken back and said he wouldn't give it, his sales clerk was like 'don't worry bout it'. So what's the point of asking for it then?

?
Old 01-26-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
so they can track your purchases. To see if you're a devil customer or not.

I have a Reward Zone card so I don't get asked it. With the RZ card, they can already track your purchases.

Also, if you use a Credit Card, they can track your purchases with that.
Old 01-26-05, 10:26 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They also get your address that way to send out those 10% coupons.
Old 01-26-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
I don't mind them asking for my zip code, but sometimes I don't give them my phone number. There are plenty of ways to track purchases, and the telemarketing ban doesn't apply if you have an 'existing relationship' with the retailer [like, oh, buying something there].
Asking for a zip code helps them track their marketing on a higher level, asking for a phone number helps them track *you*.
Old 01-26-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, you give them a good number for a good transaction, a bad one for one of your complaints. I think its called "Beat the Devil"
Old 01-26-05, 06:16 PM
Suspended

No, no - give them a phone number: 867-5309. I hear that Jenny is really big into buying DVD's
Old 01-26-05, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

best buy is not the only place that asks for a phone number. i don't bother giving it because they don't need it to complete the transaction. even though i know there is not really privacy left in today's electronic age, i still like to keep the facade.
Old 01-26-05, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Lot's of places ask for phone number or zip. Just give them a fake one. No big deal.
Old 01-26-05, 11:45 PM

IMHO, it may be like at Circuit City which uses the phone number to be able to match to a receipt in case you do not have it (i.e. lost it) and are doing a cash transaction (no credit card or such otherwise to look up on).
Old 01-27-05, 06:48 AM

I was just there yesterday. Pain in the arse. Three questions before I can even make the purchase.

Do you have a Best Buy card? Answered: yes.
Do you want to subscribe to EW? Answered: Already get it.
What's your phone number? Answered: Skip it.

This is why I love the self checkout lanes at Walmart, Giant Food, and Home Depot.
Old 01-27-05, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by El-Kabong
No, no - give them a phone number: 867-5309. I hear that Jenny is really big into buying DVD's
I've often thought of giving that, but then they usually land up with a "I'll pass" on the phone thing. One day....
Old 01-27-05, 07:59 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
You are simply being tracked and profiled. I have a close relative in an upper management position with them and he confirmed this. The short version of what I was told. If you do alot of business with BB they will probably bend over backwards to keep you a happy customer (hold the sarcasm, apparently they're trying). But if you average one DVD purchase every few months (and a loss leader at that), they couldn't care less if you walk.
Old 01-27-05, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by JAA
You are simply being tracked and profiled. I have a close relative in an upper management position with them and he confirmed this. The short version of what I was told. If you do alot of business with BB they will probably bend over backwards to keep you a happy customer (hold the sarcasm, apparently they're trying). But if you average one DVD purchase every few months (and a loss leader at that), they couldn't care less if you walk.
But when was the last time you saw a manager look up your info to see if they want to give you a better deal based on you shopping.
Old 01-27-05, 10:07 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Big Worms
But when was the last time you saw a manager look up your info to see if they want to give you a better deal based on you shopping.
Not what I meant at all. If your shopping history demonstrates that you are a loyal, longterm customer (actual $$ spent). They are probably going to give you MUCH more latitude than the occasional bargain shopper in the event of a conflict. I didn't mean to imply anything upfront.
Old 01-27-05, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by JAA
Not what I meant at all. If your shopping history demonstrates that you are a loyal, longterm customer (actual $$ spent). They are probably going to give you MUCH more latitude than the occasional bargain shopper in the event of a conflict. I didn't mean to imply anything upfront.
But are you still saying that they will look up your money spent at the store?
Old 01-27-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Radio Shack used to do this (maybe they still do ?? ) - I remember rushing in to buy some AA batteries and they asked for my phone number:

"Why - you gonna call me to see how long they last?"
Old 01-27-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Memorize Best Buy's phone number and give it to the cashier when they ask. Years ago I had called Toys R Us a lot so I rememberered the number. When TRU would ask for my #, I gave them theirs. They never caught on.
Old 01-27-05, 12:28 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not only do they ask for phone number when you ring up a purchase, but also when you do a return.

It seems that they require to enter a phone number and then ask you to check your particulars on their little terminal when you do a return.
Old 01-27-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by marty888
Radio Shack used to do this (maybe they still do ?? ) - I remember rushing in to buy some AA batteries and they asked for my phone number:

"Why - you gonna call me to see how long they last?"
great comeback. i will be laying out for the time i can use this.

kms
Old 01-27-05, 02:35 PM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Big Worms
But are you still saying that they will look up your money spent at the store?
I don't know if they all will, but I am saying that they can.
Old 01-27-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,005 Likes on 723 Posts
I used to work at a BB store. Whenever a store asks me for my phone number, I give them the number of BB. Even at BB, most rep's don't even recognize their own number. They've been buying a lot around town...
Old 01-27-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

try using this number:
612-538-6998

Best Buy Customer Relations

edit:
My mistake. That's investor relations. evenbetter.

Last edited by garolo; 01-27-05 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-27-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

NEVER give them your phone number!

Best Buy wants to sell your number to telemarketers. These people are desperate to find away around the "Do Not Call" registry. If you signed up for this, they can't call you. But if you give your phone number to Best Buy, and then they sell the number to a telemarketer, that gets around the law because you have done business with the telemarketer's "partner".

When they ask you for a number, simply say no. That almost always works, but I've had a couple of people push. I just told them to put their own home phone number in and that shut them up.
Old 01-27-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Thats BS. The only reason they ask for a phone number (which im condoning; i never ask) is because BB stores are going through a process of fine-tuning each store based on demographics. When you ring a purchase, a screen pops up asking for gender and phone number (to look through their database and match with a person). The cashier can just hit F10 and go right past it of course. There are like 5 different types of demographic-based stores that each one is supposed to fall into. They all have different 'names' for example a "Jill" store would be a store that caters mostly to females and soccer moms, so the store would be fine-tuned in that it would have more appliances, less car audio, and even some kind of play area. "Buzz" stores are supposed to be the college student , video game playing stores...theres one for upper class white men, forget the name , Barry or something.
By '06 or so each store is supposed to reflect the data retreived from the registers.
my apologies to Mr. Best Buy
Old 01-27-05, 06:07 PM
Suspended

PVP brings Teh Funny once again. . . .

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.