Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy asking for customer phone number during cashier transaction - why?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Best Buy asking for customer phone number during cashier transaction - why?

Old 01-28-05, 05:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Tracking your purchases via Credit Card.

I didn't think this was legal? Profile, maybe, but not attached to ME.

Or am I wrong?
Old 01-28-05, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worked at TRU for a a little more then a month this past november and they wanted me to ask for phone numbers, to pre-sell movies, to get parents to sign their kids up for the birthday club and push buyer protection plans on people. I hardily asked for numbers unless a manager was nearby because I object to this on a personal level. Sometimes I would ask about the movie and also mention the buyer protection if they had an item that applied but I won't make a big deal of it. They had a thing where if a cashier didn't have a certain % I think 90% of numbers then they would talk to them. I was never talked to and I usually just made up numbers. Asking for numbers also slows down my flow since am trying to get people checked out as quickily as possible. Luckily a better job came along.
Old 01-28-05, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What gets me is that TRU employees (at least locally) are required to ask you if you want batteries with your purchase, regardless of what you're buying. That can prompt some pretty strange looks when a customer runs in to buy a soft drink.
Old 01-28-05, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just ask them to make a number up, or use a random one.

Empire Carpet must hate me. "588-2300... Empiiiire..."
Old 01-28-05, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
What gets me is that TRU employees (at least locally) are required to ask you if you want batteries with your purchase, regardless of what you're buying. That can prompt some pretty strange looks when a customer runs in to buy a soft drink.
it's definitely locally, or one of the most lame TRU stores ever. I work at TRU and none of us who work at the one I am at ask the customer if they need batteries unless they are buying something that requires them.

also at least for TRU, cashiers ask you your phone number so TRU as a company can do customer satisfaction surveys. they want to make sure they you are getting friendly service. you can always refuse to give your number, there is nothing that says you have to give anyone your phone number.

also when you exchange something without a receipt we ask for phone numbers/drivers licenses to make sure people are constantly coming in and returning things that arent from our store. a lady the other day went crazy when we asked her for her drivers license and phone number, when she returned a whole bunch of stuff without a receipt.

I'm done blabbing.
Old 01-31-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
I just ask them to make a number up, or use a random one.

Empire Carpet must hate me. "588-2300... Empiiiire..."
*laugh* That number/jingle has been in my head for at least 15 years, and I've never even been to Chicago or whereever they are. Have to try that next time : )

Rockmjd23: After running through that spiel, it's a wonder they have time to ask for my check/cash/credit card. No wonder there's always a line at BB and it moves like molasses.
Old 02-01-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Didn't you know it's Best Buy policy to train cashiers to take 5 minutes trying to ring something up, 2 minutes to realize they did it wrong, and another 10 minutes waiting for the manager to show up and fix it?
Old 02-02-05, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
In my experience, it's more like 30 seconds to ring something up, 20 seconds to price match because the customer has an ad that says its 3 cents less at wal-mart, and 10 minutes to get someone to post-void the sale and rering it because the customer decided to tell me he had a reward zone card after i already completed the sale despite the fact that I asked him when he came up to me.
ZING!
Old 02-03-05, 01:21 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
In my experience, it's more like 30 seconds to ring something up, 20 seconds to price match because the customer has an ad that says its 3 cents less at wal-mart, and 10 minutes to get someone to post-void the sale and rering it because the customer decided to tell me he had a reward zone card after i already completed the sale despite the fact that I asked him when he came up to me.
What BB do you work at? I'd like to shop there.

30 seconds to ring something up
Not at any of the BB's I've been to.

20 seconds to price match because the customer has an ad that says its 3 cents less at wal-mart
20 seconds!?! Not when they have to fill out the price match form. Longer if they have to ask another cashier how to fill out the form.
3 cents? I haven't price matched for less than $3.

10 minutes to get someone to post-void the sale and rering it
I'll agree with this, but not for 'my' error. I've had this happen when the cashier made a mistake and totaled.
Old 02-04-05, 01:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
1-800-328-7448 - first 3 number = "Eat" you can figure out the last 4 digits.
Old 02-04-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mr_jbloggs
1-800-328-7448 - first 3 number = "Eat" you can figure out the last 4 digits.
Psst. We're allow to say shit now. I kind of like this one:

any area code will do:

732- 382-5968

732- Fuc-kyou

And by the way, we can say fuck too!
Old 02-04-05, 09:05 PM

Or you could just say no thanks when we ask you for your phone number.

I also work at BB as a cashier and most of the time I wont ask for the phone number if the line is long and also wont ask about the magazines. But if the stores dead then I'll go through the hole deal.
Old 02-05-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
While the policies do annoy me, I don't hold it against the cashier just trying to do his job. That's exactly what i do say, No thanks, or I'd rather not give it. Now, if the cashier turns pushy and rude ["Are you *sure* you don't want to save money/get SI/get the warranty?" three or four times] then it's a different story.
Old 02-06-05, 12:03 AM

I'll ask the customer once about the replacement plan or service plan, but sometimes my manager will ask 3 or 4 times. If the customer says no the first time, what will make them change there mind the 3rd time.
Old 02-07-05, 01:28 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If it's a cute cashier asking for customer phone number, someone should respond with "you can have my number if you give me yours"

No, really. Whenever they ask for phone number, I just say "skip it please".