Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Is it too hard to look in the back? (or: Best Buy Tale of Woe #193,405)

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Is it too hard to look in the back? (or: Best Buy Tale of Woe #193,405)

Old 01-25-05, 08:50 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 291
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it too hard to look in the back? (or: Best Buy Tale of Woe #193,405)

Lewis Black's Black on Broadway came out today, and being the fan that I am, I swung by Best Buy after class to pick a copy up. I initially scoured both the new releases and comedies section to no avail, so I made the mistake of asking an associate for assistance.

She found 14 in the computer but saw none on the shelf or the stocking cart she had been wheeling around.

Let me back up here. A few weeks back, I went to the same store, and this tall drink of water with a mop on top of his head told me that they were out of the Eternal Sunshine 2-disc set, adding that they had "already looked earlier" that day.

Back to tonight, the young lady trying earnestly to help me asked this same kid (same moppy hair, too), who said that he had "already looked earlier" and that they were out, in spite of the fact that the computer indicated otherwise. Same excuse, different day. Great, just great. Yeah, it's not like I don't see through every syllable of that bullshit.

So are you telling me that either Lewis Black sold out at my Best Buy (unlikely, given the low profile release) or that Best Buy, what, misplaced 14 copies of the DVD?

I work in retail myself, so I understand the trick of the trade -- not looking in the back for a customer if I'm busy and the like. This kid, he had been flirting with some shorty in the first place and was still with her when asked about the DVD by the associate initially helping me.

Saying that you've already looked and that there are none "in the back room" is about the first thing most clerks learn in Retail 101, but I was pissed. I mean, Best Buy was out of my way, I was hungry and it had been a long day. I was looking forward to relaxing with LB on the TV.

So I headed up front for a customer comment card -- by now, I was pretty angry, but I kept my cool every step of the way.

When I asked the lady at the customer service desk for a customer COMMENT card, she looked at me as if she'd never heard of such a thing. In fact, Best Buy had run out of customer comment cards.

Let's think about this -- Best Buy RAN OUT OF CUSTOMER COMMENT CARDS. What does that say about your business WHEN YOU RUN OUT OF COMMENT CARDS?!? At best, I would end up filling out "a form" that would get passed on. A generic form? What kind of form? Scratch paper? No thanks, I'm good.

I then explained my plight, and she offered to fetch the manager. After a minute or two, she returned from the "back room" to ask if I wanted to instead speak with the media supervisor. C'mon, how many managers are there in this place?

I'd had it by now, but I was still composed. I said forget it and huffed out of there, vowing to never shop at that Best Buy again. I mean, really, is it too hard to look in the back?

Last edited by wastro; 01-25-05 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-25-05, 10:26 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Western PA, Central Florida
Posts: 1,930
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
They haven't had comment cards in 2 years. I can only hope that you keep your vow, for their sake.
Blaming the customer for BB's incompetence?
Old 01-25-05, 11:20 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 291
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
They haven't had comment cards in 2 years. I can only hope that you keep your vow, for their sake.
Now this was quite unnecessary! The way the lady talked, it sounded as if they had just run out of customer comment cards, instead of being out for two years.
Old 01-25-05, 11:23 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
In all fairness, the entire plight is based on the assumption that the employees are lying/lazy.

It actually wouldn't surprise me if both of the DVD's inquired about were out, considering the nature of the two titles mentioned, however the listing in the computer would make me suspect and annoyed as well.
Old 01-26-05, 06:15 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 923
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember way back when Resident Evil came out for Gamecube. The conversation with the clerk pretty much went like this.

::me walking into Gamecube section::

Clerk: "Are you looking for Resident Evil?"

Me: "Yeah"

Clerk: "I bought it yesterday and it's awesome."

Me: "Well, do you have any?"

Clerk: "Well, we do have some in the backroom."

Me: "I'll wait for you to get one."

Clerk: "Well I wasn't going to put them out till tomorrow."

Me: "..."

Clerk: "It is really awesome though."

I then went across the street to Circuit City and bought it there.
Old 01-26-05, 07:54 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: OOOOOlathe
Posts: 1,062
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wastro
Saying that you've already looked and that there are none "in the back room" is about the first thing most clerks learn in Retail 101
So, you're saying that you know that this is one of the first thing you learn when you start doing retail(which I'd wager means you've done it once or twice yourself), yet since it comes from Best Buy, you're pissed enough to get a comment card and bitch about it online? The hipocracy around here is incredible. Any other retailer and it would just be blown off, but whenever something happens at BB the world is coming to an end.
Old 01-26-05, 10:04 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Leechboy
I remember way back when Resident Evil came out for Gamecube. The conversation with the clerk pretty much went like this.

::me walking into Gamecube section::

Clerk: "Are you looking for Resident Evil?"

Me: "Yeah"

Clerk: "I bought it yesterday and it's awesome."

Me: "Well, do you have any?"

Clerk: "Well, we do have some in the backroom."

Me: "I'll wait for you to get one."

Clerk: "Well I wasn't going to put them out till tomorrow."

Me: "..."

Clerk: "It is really awesome though."

I then went across the street to Circuit City and bought it there.
Don't most Best Buy's wait until Thursday or so to put new games out on the shelves? Typically a day or two later then other stores, with EB or Gamestop on Tuesdays, CC on Wednesday, and everybody else on Thursday.
Old 01-26-05, 10:36 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 291
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ESUguy
So, you're saying that you know that this is one of the first thing you learn when you start doing retail(which I'd wager means you've done it once or twice yourself), yet since it comes from Best Buy, you're pissed enough to get a comment card and bitch about it online? The hipocracy around here is incredible. Any other retailer and it would just be blown off, but whenever something happens at BB the world is coming to an end.
I understand your point, but it all comes down to the customer. A lot of times, if the customer's demanding that one checks in the back room and isn't all that nice to the clerk, then yeah -- "sorry we have none in the back." But I was, at the very least, patient and nice. Not to mention, I didn't ask them to check in the back in the first place. I get that clerks don't work the best jobs, which is why I try to be nice to 'em and understanding.

But getting the exact same excuse from the exact same guy two visits in a row? C'mon, that's a l'il annoying. And if it'd been the first time something lame happened with BB, I wouldn't have been bitching. Alas, "once bitten ..." on that one.
Old 01-26-05, 11:10 AM
  #9  
Retired
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 27,449
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I rarely bother asking. If it's not on the shelf at best buy, I'll either order online or just keep an eye out for it later.
Old 01-26-05, 01:30 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 923
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
Don't most Best Buy's wait until Thursday or so to put new games out on the shelves? Typically a day or two later then other stores, with EB or Gamestop on Tuesdays, CC on Wednesday, and everybody else on Thursday.
This was the remake of Resident Evil 1. It was also about a week after it's release date.
Old 01-29-05, 05:13 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 271
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately the truth isn't always good. Chances are the person you asked to check in the back was a young 16-18 kid who just has the job for some extra cash. Not to make a career out of it, so they probably didn't give a crap to check or not. Why didn't you just ask someone near the "back" or walk in there yourself asking them to check for you?

As well about the customer card.. Have you ever filled one out PRAISING someone that looked in the back for you?

Sometimes we always look for negatives, and forget the postives. it's human nature but ask yourself if the fact you couldn't get your DVD release right away was worth a teenager losing their job over
Old 01-29-05, 12:19 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,349
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I rarely bother asking. If it's not on the shelf at best buy, I'll either order online or just keep an eye out for it later.
Old 01-30-05, 02:39 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 291
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kris81
Unfortunately the truth isn't always good. Chances are the person you asked to check in the back was a young 16-18 kid who just has the job for some extra cash. Not to make a career out of it, so they probably didn't give a crap to check or not. Why didn't you just ask someone near the "back" or walk in there yourself asking them to check for you?

As well about the customer card.. Have you ever filled one out PRAISING someone that looked in the back for you?

Sometimes we always look for negatives, and forget the postives. it's human nature but ask yourself if the fact you couldn't get your DVD release right away was worth a teenager losing their job over
The people near the "back" are in different departments (TVs, computers, etc ...) and wouldn't know the media section or backstock as well as the employees in the DVD dept.

And yeah, actually I have filled out good comment cards. Maybe not going in the back, but when I've gotten really outstanding customer service at other stores or in a restaurant, I tell someone that might care. Retail's not the easiest gig in the world, so when I get someone at least pretends they care or does well, it's worth my extra 30 seconds to write a card out.

I get that it's human nature, and honestly, I see your point. I'd be very surprised if the message ever got to the offending employee in the first place, but maybe I should have just cut my losses when I couldn't find it and look elsewhere.
Old 01-30-05, 07:39 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: California
Posts: 20,245
Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
yet another reason why I hate Best Buy's customer service.

Hell I work retail, and I don't make much at that, but I still give 100% to make the customer happy. If we have it, I'll go get it for them. If we don't I'll try to let them know if we will get anymore or anywhere else they can call to find the product they are looking for (I work at the R-zone at TRU). It's lame that so many people have had bad experiences like this. I've always told people who come into TRU that Best Buy is the king of checking the computer. A lot of the time (for those who work retail) the computer isn't always right. Things can get pulled without being scanned out leaving their old number there. I believe Best Buy might have a big storage room, but it wouldn't be hard to call up a manager to find out what bay (or shelf) the DVDs might be in the back.

done ranting

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.