Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone have success using BB reward zone certs to buy gift cards?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 01-22-05, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I hate that these damn things have an expiration date on them. I have about $100 worth that I want to hang on to, since there is nothing I want to buy right now. Of course on the certs it says not valid for gift cards, but I wondered if anyone has been able to buy them with the certs.
Old 01-22-05, 07:46 PM
X
Administrator

Received 153 Likes on 123 Posts
It's probably a hassle but I'll bet you could buy something for $100 and then return it and you'd get a gift/store credit card. They wouldn't just keep the money and I doubt they'd give you the cash back.
Old 01-23-05, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or get a gift receipt and return it with that.
Old 01-23-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by X
It's probably a hassle but I'll bet you could buy something for $100 and then return it and you'd get a gift/store credit card. They wouldn't just keep the money and I doubt they'd give you the cash back.
That's kind of what I was thinking. It's a hassle, but I guess it's what I'll have to do.
Old 01-23-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You'd have to get them to take the return without a receipt, since RZ certificates deduct from the item price on the receipt.
Old 01-23-05, 06:43 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Buying an item with RZ and returning it /w receipt for credit will not work. You will lose the RZ cert, unless you are upfront with the store manager and see if he can do a non-receipt return on the item you just bought with the RZ.

Your best bet is to buy something that is free after rebate, or a very high rebate to price ratio. Otherwise, just keep checking their weekly ad, and buy something that you need before the RZ cert expires, but you will have to buy items totalling $100 or more in one transaction.
Old 01-23-05, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wewantflair
You'd have to get them to take the return without a receipt, since RZ certificates deduct from the item price on the receipt.
I hadn't thought about that. Thanks.

Looks like I'm in the same position as I was before.
Old 01-23-05, 08:08 PM
X
Administrator

That sucks.

I guess you should start a thread in this forum asking who will buy them from you at face value - not!

You can still do Christmas receiptless returns for another couple of days, can't you?
Old 01-23-05, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by X
That sucks.

I guess you should start a thread in this forum asking who will buy them from you at face value - not!

You can still do Christmas receiptless returns for another couple of days, can't you?

I guess I could to the receiptless return there, but again that's two trips. Stupid expiration dates.
Old 01-23-05, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by X
That sucks.

I think Monday, 1/24/05, is the last day.
Old 01-23-05, 09:36 PM

once I bought something with coupons, can't remember I think it was a keyboard or monitor or something and they started scanning, then in the middle of the scanning, we asked if the coupons are dead if we return this. they said they would be

about 6 months later I bought a tv, when I hooked it up, it did not work, the screen had about 8 lines on it, it was just awful, told them about that, and they said we would get reciepts, after the usual wait time on the receipts we got them back.

I don't see why buying gift cards would not work, but those expire too, and diminish in value, don't forget that.

Last edited by chileorgullo; 01-23-05 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-23-05, 10:05 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by chileorgullo
I don't see why buying gift cards would not work, but those expire too, and diminish in value, don't forget that.
Depends on the state. It's illegal to expire them in California.
Old 01-23-05, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by X
Depends on the state. It's illegal to expire them in California.
I think he's right though. I think after periods of inactivity, they reduce the amount on the card by xxx amount each month. Maybe not in CA, but I know for sure they do that here in AZ.
Old 01-23-05, 11:34 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Gift card do NOT expire in California. However, Reward Zone certificates are NOT gift certificates. Gift Certificates means you EXCHANGED money for a card.
Old 01-24-05, 02:25 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Best Buy gift card does not expire. It says so at the back of the card. It doesn't say if it has monthly fee if it remains inactive for extended period of time though.

Anyway, as many have suggested, buy something $100 with the RZ cert, then do a receiptless return immediately (today is the last day). Check with a store manager to make no grief before doing it.
Old 01-24-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,926 Likes on 1,490 Posts
What I don't understand is this:

My Replay rewards certificates at Suncoast have an expiration, but in California, do not expire. The guy at the counter said that by law, they had to take them.

But my Best buy rewards certificates do not fall under that same law? Or is that guy at Suncoast mistaken (in which case I better redeem all my expired replay certificates while he still works there...)
Old 01-24-05, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk God

BB is bizarre. I went to use one of the certs that was $20. I bought a game that was $19.99. The cashier wouldn't let me use it unless I bought something more to push the total over $20. After much arguing, I just bought a soda. Then, when it rings up, the price of the game goes from $19.99 to like $18.82. As if I get some kind of discount for using the cert or my reward zone card. It's like a grocery store card.
Old 01-24-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones
BB is bizarre. I went to use one of the certs that was $20. I bought a game that was $19.99. The cashier wouldn't let me use it unless I bought something more to push the total over $20. After much arguing, I just bought a soda. Then, when it rings up, the price of the game goes from $19.99 to like $18.82. As if I get some kind of discount for using the cert or my reward zone card. It's like a grocery store card.
Interesting... I know that the Reward Zone certificates are actually taken off before taxes are assessed, so that may be why it's a little cheaper than you thought...

Not to sidetrack this thread, but I once went in to buy the PS2 game Katamari Damacy (20 bucks) with a fifteen dollar Reward Zone certificate and a five dollar off coupon. What should have happened (IMHO) is that the five dollars gets taken off first, then the fifteen dollar certificate is taken off before taxes, making it free. Because she entered in the fifteen dollar RZ cert. first, she couldn't get the other discount to work. After much haggling, she finally just took the five bucks off but I was made to pay a few bucks extra for tax. Made me a little angry because the wife was waiting outside in the car, and the change I had in my pocket didn't cover it, so I had to go outside and get my wallet...
Old 01-24-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fujishig
Interesting... I know that the Reward Zone certificates are actually taken off before taxes are assessed, so that may be why it's a little cheaper than you thought...
But that's the bizarre thing. On my receipt is says "regular price $19.99". Then next to it, it says "reward zone member price $18.82". Come to think of it, that happened once before to me when I was just buying something around Christmas time. I was getting one of those two month cards for online for World of Warcraft, and it said "regular price $29.99, member price $26.99". Maybe they just have unadvertised specials when you use your RZ card.
Old 01-24-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones
But that's the bizarre thing. On my receipt is says "regular price $19.99". Then next to it, it says "reward zone member price $18.82". Come to think of it, that happened once before to me when I was just buying something around Christmas time. I was getting one of those two month cards for online for World of Warcraft, and it said "regular price $29.99, member price $26.99". Maybe they just have unadvertised specials when you use your RZ card.

Interesting... and quite possible. Best buy always seems to have these unadvertised specials that I have to go to forums like these to find out about. Although I fail to see how having an unadvertised sale helps them in any way...
Old 01-24-05, 07:38 PM
X
Administrator

I returned a couple of kid's Christmas items today. It was never easier. They said it was a good thing I did it today as it was the last day.

I had to show my drivers license but there was no paperwork, nothing to sign. I didn't even get told how much they were giving me for each item but the total looked right.
Old 01-24-05, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
The cashier was right, its impossible to use a reward certificate on an item that is less than the certificate before taxes. The computer won't take it. It's not a gift card, that you can still get a remaining balance on.
So let me ask you this then, is there a $20 minimum on the $5 certificates? I ask b/c I never asked them to send me $20 certificates. It just so happened that I bought two large ticket items and had several of them.

What about a price adjust? Why not add a penny to the price to make it an even deal? They didn't charge me tax for the full price of the item, so I don't know why that would make a difference.
Old 01-24-05, 10:21 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Interesting. You should have asked the cashier to adjust the price of the game (make it $20 even) so that the RZ cert would match
Old 01-25-05, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fujishig

Not to sidetrack this thread, but I once went in to buy the PS2 game Katamari Damacy (20 bucks) with a fifteen dollar Reward Zone certificate and a five dollar off coupon. What should have happened (IMHO) is that the five dollars gets taken off first, then the fifteen dollar certificate is taken off before taxes, making it free. Because she entered in the fifteen dollar RZ cert. first, she couldn't get the other discount to work. After much haggling, she finally just took the five bucks off but I was made to pay a few bucks extra for tax. Made me a little angry because the wife was waiting outside in the car, and the change I had in my pocket didn't cover it, so I had to go outside and get my wallet...
rule of them when using Reward Zone certificates is to always hand them to the cashier last, i.e. after all coupons are applied first.
Old 01-25-05, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
there's a $5 minimum on $5 certificates, $10 on $10 dollar ones, etc...
as far as the price adjust goes, once a reward certificate is scanned, the computer is locked in 'tender' mode, and wont let you adjust prices, add items, etc. I usually try to calculate in my head whether or not the person will be able to use all his certificates before i put them in to avoid this problem. It's all because of the retarded POS system Best Buy uses.
And that's my point of contention. I didn't ask BB to send me the $20 denomination in certificates. I argued that w/ the cashier but she wasn't having it. I know had I pressed the issue w/ a manager, I probably would've got it worked out. It wasn't worth the trouble, though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.