DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Best Buy Gift Return Policy Question... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/402811-best-buy-gift-return-policy-question.html)

mwj 12-31-04 03:02 PM

Didn't they give a store value card or something for your returns, and then you can use the card anytime you want? From what you wrote, it seemed that they did an exchange for you.

The closest Best Buy is about 60 miles away from my house. I wasn't planning on coming back anytime soon. So I never even asked for a "store value card." They did and I wanted an exchange. What was weird was the fact that what I wanted was $2.15 more than what I brought back because I expected to have to pay more like $10-$15. So I paid the difference, but when we were done with the transaction the CS person said I had a $5 gift card coming. The receipt makes it look like I got a $2.50 credit each for buying Collateral and The Bourne Supremacy at the same time. I was surprised and happy. Plus I did this with no original receipt.

island007 12-31-04 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by chileorgullo
Well, it still had the sticker, not the big yellow one, a barcode one and it said 9.99.

If it is so clear cut then turn in the reciept too.

Another case of the consumer trying to stick it to the big corporation.

What part of buy one get one free do you fail to understand?

wm lopez 12-31-04 07:53 PM

This thread sure was helpful to me.
I took a $105 dvd set without a reciept to Best Buy and got a $159 gift card!

Dabaomb 12-31-04 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by mwj
The closest Best Buy is about 60 miles away from my house. I wasn't planning on coming back anytime soon. So I never even asked for a "store value card." They did and I wanted an exchange. What was weird was the fact that what I wanted was $2.15 more than what I brought back because I expected to have to pay more like $10-$15. So I paid the difference, but when we were done with the transaction the CS person said I had a $5 gift card coming. The receipt makes it look like I got a $2.50 credit each for buying Collateral and The Bourne Supremacy at the same time. I was surprised and happy. Plus I did this with no original receipt.

the reason you got the $5 gift card is cuz Collateral and Bourne Supremacy are part of a select group of DVDs where it's buy 2 DVDs, get a free $5 gift card. It's in this weeks' advertisement.

Also, in regards to Best Buy, different stores have different policies. Some stores will let you get store credit for everything. Some will even do an even exchange on a gift card. Others will limit it to a certain amount (e.g. $100, $250, etc). Others will not let you return anything. I had to return like 8 DVDs without a receipt and the lady was like you could return 3 items (only if they had a Best Buy sticker on them) and then I wouldn't be able to return anymore at any other store. I asked her why and she said cuz she would ring each one up as a separate transaction. I went to another store and they took all 8 items with no problem.

You are allowed 3 returns per year (you can technically have as many items as you want on that return but some stores will limit you). It seems like they are more strict this year than last year.

Rammsteinfan 12-31-04 10:30 PM

I returned a few dvds to BB this past week which had no stickers on them at all and i know they werent from BB. Just asked for store credit and no questions were asked.

chileorgullo 01-01-05 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by island007
If it is so clear cut then turn in the reciept too.

Another case of the consumer trying to stick it to the big corporation.

What part of buy one get one free do you fail to understand?

Well with 2 for $20, the reciepts always say:
$10.00
$10.00

it was a regular priced 14.99
thought it would be
2 for 14.99

I was taking a chance. Then I just gave it as a gift :lol:

mrcoaster 01-01-05 02:28 PM

I have SG-1 season four and am missing disc four from the disc four case. I'm going to take it back to Best Buy (no receipt) tomorrow and see if I can get it exchanged since it's missing the disc. It was a BB purchase and I don't want credit. I just want all the discs in the set. I doubt there will be a problem, but you never know...

Film_Lover 01-03-05 10:28 AM

I worked at Best Buy for four years and had to suffer through post-Christmas Return hell each and every year. Despite the fact that I was a senior sales associate and then a computer tech and NEVER a cashier or customer service rep -- it was always my delegated job to run the no-receipt return table for the first few days after the holidays (we had a table set up at our store to automate the return process on the busiest post-holiday return days). I can unequivocally attest that official company policy when it comes to no-receipt returns is this:

Normal Season:
No receipt usually means no exchange unless you are really nice to the customer service person or you are a real dickhead and bitch to the manager until they do an override. An exchange or return for store credit can only be made if the item is something that Best Buy currently sells. Basicaly, the barcode scanner has to recognize the item and a current SKU has to be in the system for the return to be valid. On DVDs this is important because some other stores may have slightly different versions of DVDs (even if the disc is identical) or two-pack sets that are exclusive to that chain. Your best bet in returning something without a receipt during the normal shopping season is to be polite and courteous to the customer service reps -- making a stink can sometimes get action, but it is much easier to just be nice.

Holiday Season:
Although the extended holiday return policy runs from early November - January 24, that does not apply to no-receipt returns. No receipt-returns are generally accepted from December 26 - mid January -- although they will usually be honored until January 24 (the official cut-off date).

Although there is no technical limit to the number of items or value of a return, it is at the store's discretion to accept or reject a no-receipt return. Basically, if you have $500 worth of sealed DVDs you are trying to return/exchange, you MAY get away with it -- but the store has the right to refuse to return all of the items or to limit the amount of your return. A customer's best bet is to make several smaller returns to avoid such a problem. Try bringing a few family members or friends with you so that each person can make a return (to limit the number of times your driver's license is entered into the system).

If you get to make the return, you get store credit (on a card that looks identical to a gift card, except it is marked "store credit"). The store credit amount is equal to whatever the current selling price is on that item -- so even if it is stickered at a higher price, you get the current price. You are required to provide a drivers license number when making a no-receipt return (the POS system actually requires the input). I'm not positive of the official limit per driver's license, but I'm pretty sure it is 3. The POS system will flat-out refuse a transaction if a license number is entered in more times than allowed.

Hope this helps anyone trying to make a post holiday return!

eau 01-03-05 06:59 PM

Film Lover, thanks for the post. It does clear up some confusions here.

About the limit of 3 no-receipt returns, is it per calendar year? or per some arbitrary period?

X 01-03-05 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Film_Lover
The store credit amount is equal to whatever the current selling price is on that item -- so even if it is stickered at a higher price, you get the current price.

My experience has been that the amount is equal to the lowest price the item has been over some period of time, not the current price.

ianholm 01-04-05 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
if the upc wouldnt scan in their system, then it wasnt bought there. even a monkey has the intellectual capability of bringing a return back to the right store.

:lol::up:

tmy727 01-04-05 11:14 AM

Each location might handle the return a bit different... I was returning some Anime DVDs (gifts) without a receipt and no price stickers. Still sealed of course. The BB by S.Coast offered an exchange only. Since I didn't have time to look around, I didn't even bother and went to a local BB in Westminster on a different day. They scanned the dvds and gave me credit in a form of their *store credit* card. As stated above, I think it's up to the Store Manager's discretion (@ each location). One's that would only offer immediate exchanges are probably doing it so they would offset the returns with the exchange/purchase. Whereas "store credits cards", your purchases might be made at a different BB... the numbers would reflect differently when they do annual comparisons.

One strange thing I experienced was that 1 of the Anime that I was returning had already scanned into their system, but then another employee pointed out to the girl that since it came up as a *deleted* item, she couldn't accept the return. When asked, they explained that since it was *deleted* in their system, they will no longer be carrying the item, thus they cannot take it back. I asked the Sale Manager "what if I happen to purchased the last item (with cash) and lose the receipt, am I S.O.L?" He said pretty much "yes". Any past/present employees with some insight?