Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

'Best Buy Gift Card With Purchase' Question

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 12-14-04, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I appreciate any info in advance.
I bought a printer at Best Buy on Sunday. It was advertised that I was to get a $50 Gift Card with purchase. The kid who checked me out didn't give me anything at the checkout, and I didn't think about it until I got home. I called the store and the kid who answered the phone told me those Gift Cards are mailed to customers. Does that sound right? The ad clearly says "Gift card instantly with the purchase of HP printers..."
The only way they have my address is because I am a Rewards Zone member. It just seems fishy to me.
Old 12-14-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts
Most of them are given to you at purchase, as you say. What I've seen them do is charge you 20 bucks for the gift card, then take 20 bucks off the cost of the qualifying item, so you 'bought' the gift card. That way it shows up on your receipt but doesn't 'cost' you anything.. If there's nothing like that on your receipt, I'd take your receipt back and tell them what happened. If they argue and say 'Sorry, you didn't ask', I'd return the printer as well.
The only way they'll mail it to you is if you send in a rebate form; did they print out a rebate form for you, or does your receipt say there's a rebate?
Old 12-14-04, 10:16 AM

...that was the other reason I was suspicious; there was nothing for me to fill out at the bottom of the receipt (like a rebate form).
Old 12-14-04, 01:08 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take the receipt and the ad to BB sometime this week before the sale ends. They should be able to re-ring the printer and the giftcard.
Old 12-14-04, 02:59 PM

Yeah they definately give the instant gift cards to you in the store. The worker was probably thinking of the mail-in cards, which they also have.
Old 12-14-04, 05:34 PM

OK, I'm going to go tonight. Thanks for your help!
JDF
Old 12-15-04, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

With those types of sales, the prod has to slide the card threw after he hits the total button. We (best buy store I work at) just fired 5 people for scamming people. They would slide the giftcard (loading it) and then keep it for themselves. What surprises me is that they got away with it for almost a whole week before some customer noticed that they did not get the card.

The people were caught using the cards at a diffrent best buy (only way that they could track it was from the employee discount that they used) and were fired the following day.
Old 12-16-04, 09:49 AM

Better way for the instant gift card bonuses is to pick out the correct amount yourself from the display and hand it to them when checking out. That's how I did it for a mobile phone at least.

Crossing my fingers for the mail-in one on a printer bought online though. Ugh.
Old 12-16-04, 09:56 AM

My experience, if it helps...

I bought a printer a few months ago, and had to send away for the gift card. A rebate form for it printed out once I paid.