Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
I got Saw IV in the mail (Blu Ray). Netflix said they shipped on Monday. I may just start trying to hold at least one or two (of my four) for Saturday drop off at post office. Maybe I'll start getting new releases consistently that way instead of waiting for months to get them.
Old 01-23-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts
I've had poor service from them for at least the last 2 years. There was supposed to be a class action setllement for their "throttling" heavy users; I've never received it. I am seeing it getting worse lately, & as I mentioned in another thread, they're also bringing in way fewer arthouse/music/indy new releases.
Old 01-23-08, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I think the 'settlement' was something like one (or a few) months of discounted service for current members. It was one of those lawsuits where the only real winner is the lawyers, and even the company doesn't lose much (like "awards" that turn out to be a 10.00 coupon on a future purchase from the same company).
Ah...actually:
"The settlement was approved by the San Francisco Superior Court on July 28, 2006, but certain objectors appealed the judgment approving the settlement. The appellants filed their opening briefs in August 2007. The settlement benefit will not be distributed until the appeals process is completed, which could take until mid-2008 or later."
http://www.netflix.com/Settlement
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060111-5951.html
interesting.
Old 01-24-08, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was curious about that settlement, I just assumed it passed me over. Still VERY LONG WAITS for all my Blu-Ray discs at the top of my queue....upsetting. Maybe time for Blockbuster again...who knows.
Old 01-24-08, 07:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMHO BB is significantly worse at BR/HD. For one thing unless you know something is available in one of those formats you have to check for alternate formats on the movie's page, compared to the easy drop down list Netflix has. As far as their availability so far I've had more luck w/ NF than BB. Bottom line seems to be neither service is gearing up for hi-def DVD quite yet.
Old 01-25-08, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts
I'm also noticing the last few weeks that they are shipping more & more dvd's from far away locations which slows down receipt time in both directions. They're also taking longer to ship the last few weeks.
Old 01-25-08, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
0 problems since I originally joined last September. The only thing that I have recently noticed is the e-mails for movies received and sent is coming late. I got an e-mail that they mailed my Movie tonight at 9pm when I received it earlier today at Noon.
Old 01-25-08, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I noticed that too, they shipped out my movies yesterday, I didn't get shipping notices until this morning that they'd be arriving today.

I will say though, compared to all other online rental companies I've used, Netflix is still the best. I have Shoot 'em up (Blu), Tekkon Kinkreet (Blu) and a drumming dvd coming in today, the warehouse closest to me (Panama City) seems to have pretty good stock on Blu's, not so much on HD DVDs (I just returned Forbidden Planet, Hot Rod, and Old School.. Hot Rod took a while and wound up shipping from Ft. Lauderdale... Perk in having numerous locations in the state I guess). Still, vastly superior to the alternatives.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-25-08 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-25-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn Netflix...once again they skipped over the first 15 movies in my queue....they must not like me. Of course, those 1st 15 were all Blu-Ray/HD-DVD.

I wish Netflix AND Blockbuster would get their act together with the Next Gen formats.
Old 01-25-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't think Netflix could get any worse....

For 2 months "Shrek the Third" on HDDVD has been in my queue. Two days ago they say it shipped. It didn't arrive yesterday or today, which was odd, so I checked online and they show they RECEIVED IT BACK today! I never got the farking thing! I call them up, and list everything that's gone wrong in the last almost 2 months now. The lady just says "sorry" and issues a "voucher" for an extra movie. I explain that to have that work, they'd have to actually ship me something (my 3 out queue hasn't been fully shipped in quite a while now) to no avail.

I haven't received a single new release on release day (heck, or release week) in a long goldern time. I'm now mad at myself for giving up my "Grandfathered" unlimited in store exchange membership with BB. At least that way I could get the BD releases at my local stores.
Old 01-25-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
YOu can have my copy of Shrek HD-DVD. It's been sitting on my shelf for about a week now.
Old 01-25-08, 05:04 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've received nothing but good service from Netflix since 2003.
Old 01-25-08, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Deftones
YOu can have my copy of Shrek HD-DVD. It's been sitting on my shelf for about a week now.
I'm sure someone is also waiting for the HD Stardust I've had for at least three weeks now...
Old 01-31-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Check out these waits....horrible. I wonder if Blockbuster is getting any better.

Saw IV
Very Long Wait Blu-ray

Resident Evil: Extinction
Long Wait Blu-ray

The Kingdom
Very Long Wait HD DVD

White Noise 2
Short Wait HD DVD

3:10 to Yuma
Very Long Wait Blu-ray

Eastern Promises
Very Long Wait HD DVD

Good Luck Chuck
Very Long Wait Blu-ray

The Invasion
Very Long Wait Blu-ray

Sunshine
Long Wait Blu-ray

War
Long Wait Blu-ray

Mr. Woodcock
Long Wait Blu-ray

King of California
Very Long Wait Blu-ray
Old 01-31-08, 02:04 PM

I Have only been using netflix for four months, but it has been fantastic so far and well worth the cost. I only view standard DVDs though, and not too many new releases.

I think for most movies I will be renting from netflix instead of buying for now on.
Old 01-31-08, 02:08 PM

i like it. way better than BB online.
im a happy convert
Old 01-31-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like Netflix for many reasons, but both services had horrible HD/BD offerings. Netflix actually seems to be worse lately in the next gen department. I can still log into BB online since I had an account, and their waits are at least Short or Long, not all Very Long. Odd....annoying.
Old 02-05-08, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One more question....since I was a Blockbuster member, I still can log in and look at my old queue. I see that SAW IV is AVAILABLE, but it lists the listing as this SAW IV [Blu-Ray], however the format says DVD (not BR like normal Blu-Ray movies).

Netflix is sucking....the new releases are already on a long wait for movies releasing today. I even had a movie returned on Monday and Tuesday...no new releases for me....no older Blu-Ray either. I wish one of the online services would get better. I guess I should just be on "trials" as I was treated muhc better during that week.
Old 02-05-08, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
The new releases I added this week are all on short wait. I've got a bunch that should be received today so we'll see what they wind up shipping.
Old 02-05-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm actually getting a movie on release day.. The Assassination of Jesse James is supposed to be here today.
Old 02-05-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are you adding Blu-Ray or DVD versions? I'm all HD/BD now.
Old 02-05-08, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
I'm also noticing the last few weeks that they are shipping more & more dvd's from far away locations which slows down receipt time in both directions. They're also taking longer to ship the last few weeks.

You need to keep a supply of return envelopes with the nearest distribution center to you handy so when you do receive a dvd from afar, you can send it back to the nearest dist ctr for a faster turnaround...there really is no need to send it back to where it came from especially if its cross country...
Old 02-05-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by FILMCZY
You need to keep a supply of return envelopes with the nearest distribution center to you handy so when you do receive a dvd from afar, you can send it back to the nearest dist ctr for a faster turnaround...there really is no need to send it back to where it came from especially if its cross country...
Everytime I have received a movie from a far away distribution center, it has ALWAYS gone back to my local center rather than where it came from. It doesn't matter what the address is on the return envelope...it just goes back to the nearest facility.
Old 02-05-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I have a film that was supposed to come on the 31st, but it still hasn't shown up. I had other movies show up on the 31st and first, so I doubt it was stolen, unless the thief only wanted "The Brothers Solomon."

Also, that film and Eagle vs. Shark were both shipped from Portland and EVS took a long time to get to me.
Old 02-05-08, 12:02 PM
Banned

It look me 7 or 8 days to get Eagle Vs. Shark. I was extremely pissed. However the past 2 weeks My service has gotten back on track. I received 3 movies each Tuesday watched them sent them back and got 3 more on The following Friday. Then I'd watch those and have them in the mail by Sat. Morning so they'd get to the Netflix distribution center on Monday so 3 more could ship out.

I also have started to get more top new releases. I dont get any HD-DVD's anymore because its not worth chancing it or waiting extra time for them so I just get DVD now. I was hoping to get The Assassination of Jesse James....today but no luck. I even went to the local video store and they received not one copy for rent today!!!!But they had about 65 copies of The Comebacks so thats good to know.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.