Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-05, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haven't noticed a difference

I haven't notice any difference in my service. I usually get discs a day before the estimated arrival date that they list on my Queue page. It is usually 2 days after they have recieved it. If I return something on a Friday or over the weekend then I usually don't the next one until the next Wed.

The only thing I think sucks with them is when an older disc has been discontinued and they pull any copies they have in circulation then send a "sorry we can no longer provide this title" type of email. This has happened twice to me, one title they pullled completely saying basically that that title will never again be available and the other title they put in my "saved" section at the bottom of my Queue.
Old 01-14-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

klandersen,

It used to be that way for me, too. I had no complaints for over a year. I had always been very satisfied and even impressed with the service. But recently (since about a month ago) it has steadily worsened. Just hope you don't start see the same downhill trend.
Old 01-24-05, 11:10 AM
Cool New Member

Might want to take a look at this thread now:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...t=netflix+slow

I love the comment from NetFlix support:
"In determining priority for shipping and inventory allocation, we give priority to those members who receive the fewest DVDs through our service."

And today they recv'd one of my movies so far.... I shipped them all at the same time from the same PO box....
Old 01-24-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My service seems back on track since about January 10.
Old 01-24-05, 02:15 PM

My service stunk for two or three weeks, but it seems to be getting back on track the last week or so. Hey are new releases now being shipped on tuesday? Netflix used to ship them out on Monday so people would get them on release date.
Old 01-24-05, 02:18 PM
Cool New Member

Well, they recvd all mine today and have now started a turn around ;-)

1 Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow PG Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shipping today

2 First Daughter PG Romance Shipping today

3 Mean Creek R Drama Shipping today
Old 01-24-05, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by justwantmymovies
Well, they recvd all mine today and have now started a turn around ;-)

1 Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow PG Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shipping today

2 First Daughter PG Romance Shipping today

3 Mean Creek R Drama Shipping today
I got the notify this morning they got my last return, but they are not shipping until tomorrow. It's been like that for a while now (ship day after receiving). They say Sky Captain will ship tomorrow, which makes sense because the DVD is released tomorrow. How are they shipping yours today, one day before release?

Sky Captain is one of the few releases I haven't had to wait for. I have been waiting for King Arthur since it was released 12/21 and Garden State since it was released 12/28. Both titles are still "very long wait"

Last edited by taa455; 01-24-05 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-24-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Traditionally, Netflix has been shipping new releases on Monday so the customer receives it on release day.

Netflix received five discs from me today and aren't shipping the replacements until tomorrow. They are supposed to ship the replacement for the empty envelope they sent me last week (a disc that was supposed to ship last Tuesday but didn't get to me until Saturday and got here as an empty envelope) today, but they haven't yet.
Old 01-25-05, 02:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think today was the last straw (or next to the last straw as I want to give them a chance to explain ). Over the weekend I dropped 3 returns and while they would normally check in on Monday they didn't until this morning. Likewise yesterday I dropped in 2 more returns and there's no info about them (although they would usually be today). My favorite was last week when I put 2 in the mail at the same time but they got them on different days (I guess that could be due to the PO though). What really pushed it over the top for me though was AGAIN the replacements are being delayed by a day for some unexplicable reason which means AGAIN I'm most likely going to miss out on the new releases I want for the week. So I pretty much emptied out my queue and sent them a note telling them I'm starting to lose faith in their quality of service. I mean I love Netflix and have been w/ them almost since the beginning (back when they actually sold DVDs too) but the qos has gotten to the point where I might as well be going to Blockbuster to pick movies up. I mean sure Netflix has a better selection but atleast w/ BB you actually get the movies We'll see if anything happens or what their response it. Maybe w/ enough people complaining they'll realize they have to do something or they'll start to lose alot of customers.

Last edited by nemein; 01-25-05 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-25-05, 02:20 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by taa455
How are they shipping yours today, one day before release?
I think because it will not get to me until Today/Tomorrow. So I can get it the day it is released. Nothing wrong with that ;-)
Old 01-25-05, 02:46 PM

Crap, I guess I was wrong about my service returning to normal. Everything is getting delayed an extra day again. I really don't want them to force me to switch to BB.
Old 01-25-05, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nemein
We'll see if anything happens or what their response it. Maybe w/ enough people complaining they'll realize they have to do something or they'll start to lose alot of customers.
I think they want to lose you as a customer.

My service got demonstrably worse once I complained. That says to me that they want me to quit. I'm too costly a customer for them, apparently, and likely feel it's worth it to let me go (since they obviously don't consider how the heavier users are their biggest evangelists and are likely responsible for signing up others at a much cheaper price than they can otherwise obtain a new customer. Word-of-mouth is an extremely powerful marketing tool. For every noisy customer they run away, there's probably several customers Netflix will never have as a result).

It's clear that Netflix has added more customers than they can adequately service. Unless they plan to expand their processing ability significantly and quickly, their best course of action would be to jettison the heavier users.
Old 01-25-05, 02:55 PM

It's obvious this is happening to most of the heavy users. I've learned to stop complaining and just deal with it. I can still get around 15 movies/month which is plenty for the $20 I'm paying them. If service further declines, then at least there are other options available.
Old 01-25-05, 02:56 PM
Cool New Member

I am wondering also if they have gotten so busy, with all the advertising they have been doing, that it is not them intentionally slowing down. But, maybe they just lack the employees to handle the influx of new customers???
Old 01-25-05, 02:58 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by BigDan
My service got demonstrably worse once I complained.

Did it ever get better after that??
Old 01-25-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Investors ain't happy either:

Old 01-25-05, 03:14 PM
Cool New Member

Yes, but investors are concerned with Profit... So.... Stop sending DVD's as fast???

Saves money, more profit ;-)
Old 01-25-05, 03:19 PM

Recently they haven't been sending me movies in the order that they're in my queue. I had Unsolved Mysteries - Ghosts in my queue. They sent me the first 3 discs, I sent them back expecting to get the 4th disc next. Wrong. The web site site says it's available yet they send me other stuff from my queue. Add this to the delays once they receive a disc and I'm canceling at the end of this month.
Old 01-25-05, 04:12 PM

slowed down to a crawl

I switched from 3 to 5 dvds in October. I was averaging about 26 disc a month from October - December. In January it suddenly started getting slower and I've been missing the new releases on Tuesday because of it.
The following have been at the top of my queue since they were released yet because of the way Netflix has been receiving and shipping my discs I keep missing out on them. I suspect that they are holding my discs becuse of the frequency of my rentals. I complained but after reading this thread, I'm not sure that was a good thing. I used to have a 1 or 2 day turnaround. but I sent back 2 discs on Thursday and they still have not acknowledged receipt.

Shaun of the Dead R Horror Very Long Wait
Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle UR Comedy Very Long Wait
Friday Night Lights PG-13 Drama Very Long Wait
Garden State R Comedy Very Long Wait
King Arthur UR Action & Adventure Very Long Wait
Wimbledon PG-13 Romance Very Long Wait
Napoleon Dynamite Very Long Wait
Old 01-25-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by number6
Shaun of the Dead R Horror Very Long Wait
Napoleon Dynamite Very Long Wait
Same here with these two. Either they have like 3 copies circulating, or people are holding on to them for weeks.
Old 01-25-05, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
I switched to Blockbuster two weeks ago, cancelled Netflix, and couldn't be happier. Distro center is in the same town, 2 free e-coupons a month to print out take to my local store, impressive selection (comparable to NF, more special editions) and $3 cheaper.

My luck could change, I'm cognizant of that. But I'm impressed so far.
Old 01-25-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For those that have Blockbuster:

How many titles does Blockbuster claim to have available?
How is their indie and foreign selection?
Would they have a title such as "Romance" available?

So far I'm still ok with my Netflix service. If I have a disk in the mail on mon., I have a new release in my home on wed.
Last week I got Friday Night Lights and The Forgotten with no problem.
Old 01-25-05, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by justwantmymovies
I think because it will not get to me until Today/Tomorrow. So I can get it the day it is released. Nothing wrong with that ;-)
My point was why are they shipping yours on Monday when the same title for me is not shipping till Tuesday?

Old 01-25-05, 05:59 PM
Cool New Member

;-) Well, Maybe because they don't have enough employees??? Maybe they are cheating you??? My guess is they have so many new customers they can't keep up with the load. Possibly the system allocates a movie for you, but the guy actually sending it to you can't get to it until the system automatically sets it to tomorrow??
Old 01-25-05, 06:05 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Phil L.
How many titles does Blockbuster claim to have available?
How is their indie and foreign selection?
Would they have a title such as "Romance" available?
Not to sound like a complete a$$ (can we say ass?) but did you check out Blockbuster.com?

There it lists they have over 30,000 movies, up to 3 discs out at a time, all for $14.99.

As for Romance I did a search and it didn't come up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.