Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-12, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

I just got off the phone with a CSR, and he told me that certain areas are no longer receiving one-day deliveries. They're working with the post office right now to attempt to resolve the situation, or so he said. I asked for a discount or a partial refund for my last month's bill, as I only received half the films I normally do, but he told me they couldn't do that. I'm not going to pay $12 for four movies, so if this isn't resolved in a month or so it's all downloads from here on out.
Old 08-10-12, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Things might end up working out for you. Ever since I placed my call to them, things seem to have been straightened out. I received my second cycle for the week with today's mail. So far, so good.
Old 08-10-12, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Things might end up working out for you. Ever since I placed my call to them, things seem to have been straightened out. I received my second cycle for the week with today's mail. So far, so good.
I really hope so, as I would rather not have to cut myself off from Blu-ray rentals entirely.
Old 08-13-12, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

How weird b/c I got John Carter blu ray last week with no delays and it never said there was a wait every time I checked it.
Old 08-13-12, 08:02 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I finally got John Carter last week but it was on my queue since release day with a very long wait.
Old 10-07-12, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

I have a link I've used for quite a while to show the "New Releases" (Blu-Ray and DVD) for each week. It certainly helps me get the best shot at new releases on the first day they're available. Right now its not working. Anybody run into the same problem? Anybody got a working link? Its a lot tougher to work these things out since the big studios delay their releases.
Old 10-07-12, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had a link like that quite some time ago. I lost it and never managed to find anything else that really worked. Now, I just go to Video ETA and browse their list and add what I want to my queue while doing so.
Old 10-07-12, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
I have a link I've used for quite a while to show the "New Releases" (Blu-Ray and DVD) for each week. It certainly helps me get the best shot at new releases on the first day they're available. Right now its not working. Anybody run into the same problem? Anybody got a working link? Its a lot tougher to work these things out since the big studios delay their releases.
I just do it on the Netflix website. Does their list not show everything?
Old 10-07-12, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DWilson
http://dvd.netflix.com/AllNewRelease...ases&fdvd=true

yeah, that was the link. no longer working. fucking bullshit.
Old 10-07-12, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Open up the main Netflix website, in the top toolbar scroll over "DVDs" for the drop-down menu and click "New Releases".

On the New Releases page scroll down to where it says "Released in the last:" and then you should be able to click a drop down menu and select "Week". Click "See All" and you got what you're looking for.
Old 10-15-12, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Just logged on to Netflix and my entire 300+ title Instant queue disappeared. What the hell?
Old 10-15-12, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Crazy. Mine too. And I've only got one thing in "Recently watched". I don't watch much, but more than that.
But when I hover over titles that I think I had in my queue, it says "In instant queue"".
Old 10-16-12, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by gp1086
Open up the main Netflix website, in the top toolbar scroll over "DVDs" for the drop-down menu and click "New Releases".

On the New Releases page scroll down to where it says "Released in the last:" and then you should be able to click a drop down menu and select "Week". Click "See All" and you got what you're looking for.
that's great, but it doesn't help those who are looking for blu rays. it used to separate them into categories, including blu ray.
Old 10-28-12, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

The "Releasing This Week" page is back, -I hadn't deleted my link, and I just checked Today (10/28).

As far as the instant queue disappearing, I had one link on my computer at work where the list disappeared, but it was just fine on a different link.
Old 11-10-12, 11:27 AM

Did NEtflix do away with Saturday check-in and dvd shipments? The last few weeks no discs in my queue were checked in, and no discs sent out.
Old 04-06-13, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any updates on Netflix? Blockbuster has been horrible as of late but from what I'm reading Netflix hasn't been any better.
Old 08-12-13, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, I know it's now the "thing" to hate on Netflix, but Jesus Christ - it's like they're not even trying anymore (at least not on the DVD side of things.) I just noticed recently that more than 2/3 of the 250 movies in my DVD queue are now either on "Short Wait" or "Long Wait." There are about 25 "Short Wait" titles clustered at the top of my queue - which wouldn't be that big of a deal, if they sent some of those out every once in a while like they used to. But the "Short Wait" status of many of them hasn't changed for months. And don't even get me started on the 5 "Very Long Wait" items that are at the very top - and that have been there for more than a year. It's gotten to the point where, if I add a movie and it says it's a "Short Wait," I wonder if I'll ever actually get it.

And it's not like I'm waiting for a bunch of new release or OOP titles - almost all of them have been out for a while, are in-print, and a lot of them are somewhat major classics from the big studios.

Netflix still provides quite a bit of value for me, but when I compare them to the "olden days" (of just a few years ago) it's clear that they've really gone downhill as they've shifted their focus away from DVDs (streaming is a great concept, but the selection is still really limited and if you're looking for a specific title rather than just "something to watch" it generally isn't there.) They used to be one of the coolest things ever for movie lovers - now they're just... Serviceable, and you get the impression that they don't actually care about those of us weirdos who still watch those archaic relics known as DVDs. I get that "economic decisions" had to be made - but they could at least try to be a little bit less obvious about the fact that DVD-users are their "low priority" customers.

And the thing that sucks is that there aren't really that many halfway decent alternatives anymore - all the video rental stores are out of business and the streaming sites generally just don't have what I'm looking for. If it weren't for the incredible library about half an hour from my house, I'd have to spend a lot more money on blind buys (or go without seeing the movies at all.)

Ok, rant over.
Old 08-12-13, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I almost switched from Blockbuster to Netflix, but all the bad things I heard about Netflix kept me at BB. BB was horrible, now at least there are a fee titles that show available and they've been sending out. For a while if it was less than a year old plan on it being a very long wait title. Not tremendous but better and with Netflix obviously not any better, I'll give up the service instead of switching.
Old 08-12-13, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My Netflix queue has dwindled down to 30 discs or so. It seems like they're getting fewer things on disc, based on the saved section. I've recently scaled back from 3 at a time down to 2 at a time. I'd imagine by this time next year, I might be completely done with the service.
Old 08-13-13, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

At the beginning I was 3 at a time with trade-in in store at BB. I could do 12 a week. Now with stores gone I'm down to 2 and have trouble getting those 2 in a weeks time. I'm thinking redbox is better than either of the online services at this point.
Old 08-13-13, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

With Blockbuster Online, my turn-around time was horrendous. I would be lucky to get one cycle a week. In spite of Netflix's lack of discs, I still manage to get discs twice a week.

I like Redbox a lot, but the lack of tv shows make me stick with Netflix. I remember hearing that Redbox was going to start carrying shows, but short of one season of Prison Break, I don't recall them ever actually having any.
Old 08-13-13, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At it's peak, I could get some on Monday, bring them to BB store on Tues, in the meantime they are sending more which I get on Wednesday, then repeat the process. Good for 12 or more per week. Now I try to watch on Friday night so I can get in the mail on Saturday. If it goes out on Monday, I might not get the replacement by that Friday. I don't rent TV shows so I might yet try Netflix again.
Old 08-14-13, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Sondheim
Ok, I know it's now the "thing" to hate on Netflix, but Jesus Christ - it's like they're not even trying anymore (at least not on the DVD side of things.) I just noticed recently that more than 2/3 of the 250 movies in my DVD queue are now either on "Short Wait" or "Long Wait." There are about 25 "Short Wait" titles clustered at the top of my queue - which wouldn't be that big of a deal, if they sent some of those out every once in a while like they used to. But the "Short Wait" status of many of them hasn't changed for months. And don't even get me started on the 5 "Very Long Wait" items that are at the very top - and that have been there for more than a year. It's gotten to the point where, if I add a movie and it says it's a "Short Wait," I wonder if I'll ever actually get it.

And it's not like I'm waiting for a bunch of new release or OOP titles - almost all of them have been out for a while, are in-print, and a lot of them are somewhat major classics from the big studios.

Netflix still provides quite a bit of value for me, but when I compare them to the "olden days" (of just a few years ago) it's clear that they've really gone downhill as they've shifted their focus away from DVDs (streaming is a great concept, but the selection is still really limited and if you're looking for a specific title rather than just "something to watch" it generally isn't there.) They used to be one of the coolest things ever for movie lovers - now they're just... Serviceable, and you get the impression that they don't actually care about those of us weirdos who still watch those archaic relics known as DVDs. I get that "economic decisions" had to be made - but they could at least try to be a little bit less obvious about the fact that DVD-users are their "low priority" customers.

And the thing that sucks is that there aren't really that many halfway decent alternatives anymore - all the video rental stores are out of business and the streaming sites generally just don't have what I'm looking for. If it weren't for the incredible library about half an hour from my house, I'd have to spend a lot more money on blind buys (or go without seeing the movies at all.)

Ok, rant over.
After joining in 1999, I might end my physical subscription in the fall. The price is not horrendous, but when I'm still paying for cable and Prime and have tons of DVDs/BDs, I'm getting less value out of it than I should. If I do that, though, I'd have to admit I'm going to rent "new release only" since, as you say, catalog is pretty hard to find. I stuck with physical instead of streaming because of what you said--I look for specific titles for a Challenge or whatever, rather than "finding something to watch." The discs are better than streaming, but there are some random holes like BSG: Blood and Chrome that frustrate me. No question that this is their lowest priority because it isn't cost-efficient. Throw in the impending stoppage of Saturday mail delivery, and turnaround gets even longer.
Old 08-14-13, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You guys don't make a compelling argument for switching to Netflix from Blockbuster. There is a Family Video not far from me so I'll have to go over there. I just know back in the early days you sent one out, it was received and a replacement was sent the following day. I couldn't believe they could work so fast. I mailed one out Saturday and a replacement was just mailed out today so that will be Saturday. The one I mailed Monday is still in my queue so that one's lost til next week.
Old 08-14-13, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Netflix mailing has been generally fine for me. I mail on Monday, they receive on Tuesday, and I get a new disc Wednesday--no complaints there. A couple times in the last few months I've gotten a disc a day later than they've said, though that might also be the fault of the post office.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.