Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-11, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
re: Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

If you read Netflix's blog, there is literally thousands of complaints about the new website, crappy streaming titles, poor selection, and streaming titles not having a long enough life span, I have to wonder how many people would consider cancelling their service. Plus, Netflix is spending a shit load of money on 2 seasons of that new Kevin Spacey original series that is supposed to be available sometime in 2012. I have to wonder if another price increase could be in the works again.
Old 06-21-11, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would cancel but there are always a few shows my son likes to watch over and over again
Old 06-21-11, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
If you read Netflix's blog, there is literally thousands of complaints about the new website, crappy streaming titles, poor selection, and streaming titles not having a long enough life span, I have to wonder how many people would consider cancelling their service. Plus, Netflix is spending a shit load of money on 2 seasons of that new Kevin Spacey original series that is supposed to be available sometime in 2012. I have to wonder if another price increase could be in the works again.
Netflix has almost 23 million subscribers. I'm sure they're worried about the complaints of a few powerusers.
Old 06-21-11, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've been away from netflix for 2+ years.
Just restarted my membership yesterday and noticed they no longer show the availability of the blu-rays (i.e. long wait, short wait)

Did they remove this or did they move this into another panel?
Old 06-22-11, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have Married...with Children in my instant queue and I watch it on my television and a lot of the episodes are not showing up - although they do on the website.

For example - only episodes 10 and 11 from season 1 show up before it skips to season 2 which doesn't have all episodes listed either.

What gives?
Old 06-24-11, 09:08 AM

When calling Netflix today, message said we are experiencing a service problem and am working to resolve it. I wonder what it is?
Old 06-24-11, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

It looks like they had some problems with the site yesterday that affected access to it. Maybe that's it?
Old 06-24-11, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

They just updated the mobile app. Now there is no submenu...
Old 06-26-11, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by conscience
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have Married...with Children in my instant queue and I watch it on my television and a lot of the episodes are not showing up - although they do on the website.

For example - only episodes 10 and 11 from season 1 show up before it skips to season 2 which doesn't have all episodes listed either.

What gives?

Same with other shows as well
Old 06-27-11, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by al_bundy
Same with other shows as well
Hmm. Very weird. Probably the rights are funky - but why? Episodes keep dropping off. The entire fifth season was on there yesterday but today over half of them were gone. I guess I'll have to break out the VGA cable and plug up my laptop to the tv...damn I hate doing that.
Old 06-28-11, 04:10 PM

is the streaming limit something new (where if your plan is only 1 disc out at a time then you can only stream on 1 device at a time). just a week ago i was able to stream on 2 devices at once and now am having problems. was it a fluke that it worked for a while?
Old 06-29-11, 12:09 PM

So, my time with Netflix has really been complaint free, for the most part. I would estimate that 90% of the time my dvds arrive on the estimated arrival date and the other 10% of the time they have come the following day, not a huge deal. With this last movie, however, the estimated arrival date was the 27th and I have just checked my mail and it still isn't here. I live about 60 miles from the nearest shipping center, so I usually have a pretty quick turnaround. What is a reasonable amount of time to have them re-ship the dvd?
Old 06-29-11, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

My Netflix has been a bit wonky lately. Sometimes it says that it can't log me in and then other times it asks me to input all of my info again to log on.
Old 06-29-11, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Apple Gooncha
So, my time with Netflix has really been complaint free, for the most part. I would estimate that 90% of the time my dvds arrive on the estimated arrival date and the other 10% of the time they have come the following day, not a huge deal. With this last movie, however, the estimated arrival date was the 27th and I have just checked my mail and it still isn't here. I live about 60 miles from the nearest shipping center, so I usually have a pretty quick turnaround. What is a reasonable amount of time to have them re-ship the dvd?
Usually, they make you wait 3 days, so you should be able to report it missing today.
Old 07-06-11, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Well the menu still sucks, but I saw all the Star Treks except DS9 are up now. Watched a couple of Enterprise. Awesome addition.
Old 07-11-11, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/net...nly-plan-24444

Netflix Begins Offering $7.99 DVD-only Plan
11 Jul, 2011
By: Chris Tribbey

Netflix has quietly begun offering an unlimited DVD-only rental plan for $7.99, appeasing fans with no interest in streaming. The plan matches the streaming-only price option for consumers.

The news confirms Netflix CFO David Wells’ assertion in early June that the company was looking to pay more attention to its DVD roots.

“We’re looking down the road at both re-energizing DVD functions and paying a little bit more attention to it, or at least stop really de-emphasizing it as well right the economics of that business,” he said.

Prior to the new plan, Netflix had offered a $9.99 plan for both streaming and one DVD rental at a time.

The new plan belies Netflix’s big push in the streaming world, with CEO Reed Hastings telling investors in April that the company was more focused on streaming than packaged media.

“In order to prosper in streaming we must concentrate on having the best possible streaming service,” Hastings and Wells wrote in a note to investors. “As a result, we are beginning to treat [streaming and DVD] separately in many ways.”
Old 07-12-11, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got this email today from Netflix. Looks like it is a slick way to raise the price of service for those who have the combination DVD and streaming plan by separating them into 2 different services.

We are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into two separate plans to better reflect the costs of each. Now our members have a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan, or both.

Your current $9.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 1 out at-a-time (no streaming) for $7.99 a month

Your price for getting both of these plans will be $15.98 a month ($7.99 + $7.99). You don't need to do anything to continue your memberships for both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs.

These prices will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011.

You can easily change or cancel your unlimited streaming plan, unlimited DVD plan, or both, by going to the Plan Change page in Your Account.

We realize you have many choices for home entertainment, and we thank you for your business. As always, if you have questions, please feel free to call us at 1-888-357-1516.
Old 07-12-11, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Unfortunately it was inevitable the way the licensing fees continue to rise.

Looks like my grandfathered 4-out plan w/ Blu-ray will jump from $24.99 to $34.98 excluding tax. Decisions, decisions.
Old 07-12-11, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

And the fact that many people have jumped ship and are relying on Netflix (or, admittedly, some of the other alternatives).
I'm on the basic plan, which in the past was a no brainer 9.99 (of course, prior to that it was a no brainer 7.99 or 8.99)...but with it increasing 60% for the exact same service, that puts it back into think-about territory.
Old 07-12-11, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Got the same e-mail. I'm going with the streaming for $7.99
Old 07-12-11, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dilemna for my house... While we have used it to get newer releases (not streaming yet) on DVD, for the most part, we can actually wait until they become streaming... we watch a lot of streaming titles.... the big issue is, as stated by many others, there are still things we watch that are DVD only.. my household will most likely drop the DVD part.. cause it won't be worth $7.99 to us...
Old 07-12-11, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

CNN Article if you have interest

http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/12/tech..._dvd/index.htm
Old 07-12-11, 06:31 PM

I used to be one of the biggest fans of Netflix. Been a member since they opened up, and was very happy with the 3-DVD plan for the longest time at $15 a month. Then they threw in streaming, and naively I thought, "How cool is that? They are giving us more for no charge." That was the hook, I took the bait, and then they hiked the prices forcing us down to 2-DVD w/streaming plan. I wasn't *as* happy as I used to be, but it wasn't enough to have me look for alternatives. This latest DOWNGRADE, however, has pushed me off the happy-customer sofa, and I hope I'm not alone.

Streaming alone OF COURSE does not cut it because of the lack of selection, poor quality of most streaming, and lack of DVD controls (in our household, subtitles are critical for my ESL family members). We signed up for a DVD rental service, not a streaming service, so for us, it's always been a nice bonus, but not what we really cared about. The problem is that we invested in an Apple TV just for the Netflix streaming, so we got sucked into using it on a regular basis. We don't use the Apple TV for anything else.

I hate to think about it, but this move is going to end up costing me more because I'll probably cancel Netflix altogether and finally upgrade my TV subscription from basic ($15/month) to an extended subscription or maybe satellite TV. Up until now, I've always been able to argue (both to myself and to my wife) that Netflix + basic cable is all we really need at an affordable price.

Before I cement our path, I think I will take a look at Hulu, Amazon and Redbox. I'd like to know if any of these services run on Apple TV.

Damn you Netflix. Damn you for yet another downgrade, damn you for forcing me to reconsider all options (which is time consuming), and damn you for what will likely be a more costly monthly bill regardless of what path we end up taking. Damn you!

Last edited by DVDMerlin; 07-12-11 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-28-11, 08:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I remember when Netflix used to ship the best version of a Blu-ray/DVD available. Sucker Punch Blu-ray is the theatrical version.
Old 07-28-11, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 600 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Texan26
I remember when Netflix used to ship the best version of a Blu-ray/DVD available. Sucker Punch Blu-ray is the theatrical version.
Nothing to do with Netflix.
That is a studio decision to provide movie only editions including only the theatrical version of the movies.
I think Fox and Warner does it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.