Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

Old 03-23-11, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 612 Likes on 442 Posts
re: Anyone's Netflix disc delivery service starting to suck?

What's the big deal with Dexter and Cilfornication?
The only streaming NF ever had for those was season one anyway.
Old 03-23-11, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unrelated to the current discussion, but I really just wish they would fix the Larry Sanders show episodes on their streaming. Episodes out of order, episodes linking to the wrong episode, etc. After the first 2 1/2 seasons it became too much of a hassle for me to keep watching on streaming, even though I know it isn't necessarily a show you must watch in order to understand.
Old 03-23-11, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 612 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by Apple Gooncha
Unrelated to the current discussion, but I really just wish they would fix the Larry Sanders show episodes on their streaming. Episodes out of order, episodes linking to the wrong episode, etc. After the first 2 1/2 seasons it became too much of a hassle for me to keep watching on streaming, even though I know it isn't necessarily a show you must watch in order to understand.
So thats what happened.
I watched "season1" on nf then picked up the box set and watched season 2 and couldn't figure out why I felt like I had seen them before.
Old 03-23-11, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,042 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Because I still haven't gotten around to watching Dexter? Good to know that all seasons aren't available anyway, though.
Old 03-23-11, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,709 Likes on 2,665 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
They currently have only season 1 of Californication. I believe they had 3 seasons at one point. And they currently have 2 seasons of Dexter.

I know why they are doing it. They are launching their own On Demand service for subscribers and they see Netflix as a threat to it.
Old 03-24-11, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't mind waiting about a month for new releases, but it doesn't SEEM like the streaming selection has improved much since this policy went into effect. I think the studios got the better end of this deal.
Old 03-24-11, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why I can't foresee the death of physical media anytime soon. One would have to subscribe to so many different 'streaming/on demand' services to get the whole selection.
Old 03-24-11, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Netflix announced a 90 day delay on Starz original shows being posted online. Camelot, Torchwood are going to be affected this year.

Starz's deal with Netflix expires at the end of the year so it's unknown what will happen with Spartacus season 2 in 2012.
Old 03-24-11, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by JayDerek
This is why I can't foresee the death of physical media anytime soon. One would have to subscribe to so many different 'streaming/on demand' services to get the whole selection.
Yeah, I think every viewer likes the idea of streaming, but the logistics and legalities are throwing up some significant hurdles.
Old 03-25-11, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JayDerek
Plus internet companies are doing caps on usage which means it doesn't take much to hit it. I got a call from mine, saying I've been going over the limit and now I have to keep it down. I've started monitoring it and it's amazing how fast one can hit it without trying, especially if you're using streaming services.
Old 03-25-11, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Plus internet companies are doing caps on usage which means it doesn't take much to hit it. I got a call from mine, saying I've been going over the limit and now I have to keep it down. I've started monitoring it and it's amazing how fast one can hit it without trying, especially if you're using streaming services.
That kinda sucks. I don't stream that much, but one day when my kid was home sick she had spent all day streaming Netflix so I can see how it would add up. Can data plans for home like they have for cell be far behind?
Old 04-01-11, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/net...shoulder-23487

Netflix Giving Disc the Cold Shoulder?
30 Mar, 2011
By: Erik Gruenwedel

Netflix’s quest to become a streaming juggernaut apparently is coming at the expense of discs, including offering catalog movies and TV shows the online disc rental pioneer once staked its claim on.

Since launching a streaming-only option last year and raising the monthly price to disc subscribers, Netflix has quietly begun downsizing disc acquisitions of newly released vintage movies and TV shows (notably on Blu-ray Disc), in addition to not replacing damaged current physical inventories, observers say.

In doing so, Netflix appears to be alienating the very user base steadily grown throughout the past 10 years that was indifferent to 28-day embargoes and must-have street date releases so vital to kiosk vendors.

Stephen Bowie, who writes a blog about classic TV programs, and counts himself an ardent Netflix subscriber, says the once “mighty stream” of classic disc releases available to subscribers has been reduced to a “trickle.”

Specifically, Bowie is referring to eclectic titles mainstream viewers usually avoid, yet often are sought by Netflix’s highly-educated, above-average income subscribers. As an example, Bowie cited a recent list of classic movies from the New York Times he says are nowhere to be found on Netflix.

They include Luchino Visconti’s Technicolor melodrama Senso (Criterion); Fellini’s I Clowns and the Fernando Di Leo Collection of Italian crime movies (Raro/Entertainment One); film noir classic The Prowler (VCI); remastered Roger Corman sci-fi flicks Not of This Earth and War of the Satellites (Shout! Factory); and a Rita Hayworth set (Sony Pictures) including the DVD debuts of Miss Sadie Thompson and Salome.

Bowie said the same reality faces recent DVD releases of “The Rockford Files, “The Donna Reed Show,” “Route 66,” “The Lucy Show” and “Vega$.” Seasons of the original “Hawaii Five-O,” “Murder She Wrote,” “The Outer Limits” and “Father Knows Best,” which Netflix typically carried, have vanished as well.

Bowie said “The Twilight Zone” and recent seasons of “C.S.I.” also are not available on Blu-ray, a format to which he claims Netflix has developed “a particular aversion.”

“What does infuriate me is that Netflix is abandoning DVD before it should, and that it has not been honest with its customers in this regard,” Bowie wrote.

To be fair, Netflix has been forthcoming about its transition to digital at the expense of digital. CEO Reed Hastings in analyst calls has repeatedly stressed the company’s focus and resources on streaming. Indeed, at an investor event last December, Hastings famously said that “98% of management's attention is on streaming and only 2% is paying attention to DVD.”

Regardless, reaction from Netflix subscribers on HackingNetflix.com (which management follows) was overwhelmingly negative toward the changes.

“Considering I downgraded to a one [disc] out at a time plan and started a supplementary Blockbuster account to watch a number of Blu-ray titles Netflix hasn't been buying, I would say the availability is not as good as it could be,” David wrote.

“I used to be exclusively Netflix. ... Nowadays I'm Netflix (one disc with streaming), DVDs by Mail (Comcast and Blockbuster’s joint venture), Redbox, Family Video and my local library,” Jay wrote.

“Netflix doesn't have the streaming titles to justify shifting focus over there,” wrote Joe. “They have stopped caring as much about DVDs and Blu-rays, and it really shows.”

A Netflix spokesperson was not immediately available for comment.
Old 04-01-11, 02:12 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

This article is 100 percent on target. I think next time Netflix raises rates, I will drop to 1 Disc. This service has gotten really expensive and had dropped substantually in quality. The only thing keeping me from doing it now is I am grandfathered in at a little cheaper plan with 4 discs out.
Old 04-01-11, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by g
This article is 100 percent on target. I think next time Netflix raises rates, I will drop to 1 Disc. This service has gotten really expensive and had dropped substantually in quality. The only thing keeping me from doing it now is I am grandfathered in at a little cheaper plan with 4 discs out.
Yeah, I stayed on the four-by-grandfather plan for quite a while. But the rate hikes and Blu surcharges finally convinced me to drop down to two. I miss the higher number now and then, but I really wasn't cycling through the discs fast enough to justify the expense.
Old 04-01-11, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm currently on the 4 at a time plan and am going to be dropping to 3 in the very near future. Over the past couple of months, it seems like more and more discs are taking an extra day or two to get to me. All shipped from the same place I've been getting them from for years with no apparent reason for the delay. It's just not worth it so much to me anymore.
Old 04-03-11, 09:25 PM

Anyone's streaming not working? I use a PS3 and haven't streamed anything for a week or so, and now it just won't connect. Netflix's "Help" section is a joke.
Old 04-04-11, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

My kid was streaming on the 360 on Friday
Old 04-04-11, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Apple Gooncha
Anyone's streaming not working? I use a PS3 and haven't streamed anything for a week or so, and now it just won't connect. Netflix's "Help" section is a joke.
PS3 is a PITA since they are always having firmware updates and just did a TOS change that signed me out of PSN. that's probably your problem.

go to sign into PSN on the home screen, accept the new TOS and maybe check for new firmware and you should be good to go
Old 04-04-11, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
my kid watches the same shows over and over. some days he might watch the newest scooby movie in HD twice. that's probably 5GB or more in one day.

if time warner cable ever puts in bandwidth caps i'll have to either start buying more DVD's again or use my other free internet service that i don't use now
Old 04-04-11, 11:28 AM
Banned

I can't do streaming. Tried the rent 3 at a time plan, and didn't like the long wait for new releases and by the time a movie arrived (3-5 days after they supposedly send it out) I would have no interest in seeing it. Now, I buy everything I want to see (this depends on price though) and for new releases I rent from Redbox for a buck. Got rid of Netflix and lovin' it!
Old 04-04-11, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by supermike07
I can't do streaming. Tried the rent 3 at a time plan, and didn't like the long wait for new releases and by the time a movie arrived (3-5 days after they supposedly send it out) I would have no interest in seeing it. Now, I buy everything I want to see (this depends on price though) and for new releases I rent from Redbox for a buck. Got rid of Netflix and lovin' it!
You don't stream because you don't like it or you don't have the console to watch it on your TV? I know not everyone likes watching movies on their computer.
Old 04-05-11, 09:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DJariya
You don't stream because you don't like it or you don't have the console to watch it on your TV? I know not everyone likes watching movies on their computer.
No, I have the consoles (PS3 & Wii - both have capabilities but only with a internet connection), however...

I live in a very rural area so I can't get a broadband internet connection to be able to stream. I've even been turned down by satellite internet providers, so I've been stuck with dial-up for a couple years now.

Last edited by mike07; 04-05-11 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-05-11, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts

netflix secured the rights to stream all the mad men episodes starting july 27th.
Old 04-06-11, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by al_bundy
PS3 is a PITA since they are always having firmware updates and just did a TOS change that signed me out of PSN. that's probably your problem.

go to sign into PSN on the home screen, accept the new TOS and maybe check for new firmware and you should be good to go

I had already done all of that and then it stopped working. It started back yesterday, though, so no worries.
Old 04-08-11, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not really a fan, but this is pretty huge - all Star Trek shows to start streaming in July.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.