Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Selling my soul . . . a Blockbuster question.

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Selling my soul . . . a Blockbuster question.

Old 11-18-04, 12:05 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 21,672
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts
Selling my soul . . . a Blockbuster question.

Well, those of you around these parts are pretty familiar with my views on most major retailers. I've never been a person to beat around the bush.

Those of you who pay close attention may recall some of my personal tales as well . . . if not just ask, I'm not shy.

Some of you may ask how this belongs in the store forum. I feel that it does because it is once again talking about a store: how they treat us as customers, how they treat their employees, and what evil deeds they may be up to.

Anyway, I'm still prowling for a job. I swallowed deep the other day and stopped in a Blockbuster just out of curiosity (and mild desperation). The store I was in hasn't had an Assistant Manager (a step down for me) in some time, and the manager was definitely interested in my resume.

We all know Blockbuster's reputation of poor customer service. But Tarantino will be quick to point out to you that a company with a bad reputation can still have decent stores. So should I swallow my pride and work for them if the offer is made? Do I step into the crucible?

I have heard that Blockbusters can pay well and take care of their employees (at least in management anyway). Is this true? What could I reasonably expect?

Or should I just shut the hell up? (I know the crappers are lurking.)
Old 11-18-04, 12:22 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Posts: 6,197
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you need a job, and they want you ..take it ...plus you'll get a discount
Old 11-18-04, 01:23 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,147
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, how customers are treated is often influenced by management. If you get the job, you could try to improve customer service at the store since you have an idea of issues people have at Blockbuster. The more happy your customers are, the more likely they will want to shop at your store more.
Old 11-18-04, 01:31 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Upright, in a cool, dry place
Posts: 4,256
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's just a job. Take it. The Blockbusters around me always have good customer service, even when they are busy. You could always tell people you work for Viacom.
Old 11-18-04, 11:05 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Me007gold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 3,226
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Selling my soul . . . a Blockbuster question.

Originally posted by Abob Teff
Well, those of you around these parts are pretty familiar with my views on most major retailers. I've never been a person to beat around the bush.

Those of you who pay close attention may recall some of my personal tales as well . . . if not just ask, I'm not shy.

Some of you may ask how this belongs in the store forum. I feel that it does because it is once again talking about a store: how they treat us as customers, how they treat their employees, and what evil deeds they may be up to.

Anyway, I'm still prowling for a job. I swallowed deep the other day and stopped in a Blockbuster just out of curiosity (and mild desperation). The store I was in hasn't had an Assistant Manager (a step down for me) in some time, and the manager was definitely interested in my resume.

We all know Blockbuster's reputation of poor customer service. But Tarantino will be quick to point out to you that a company with a bad reputation can still have decent stores. So should I swallow my pride and work for them if the offer is made? Do I step into the crucible?

I have heard that Blockbusters can pay well and take care of their employees (at least in management anyway). Is this true? What could I reasonably expect?

Or should I just shut the hell up? (I know the crappers are lurking.)
they dont pay good. when i got promited a shift mananger i got like a 7% raise and ive been there over a year. so i quit cuz i wasnt get paid enough. the guy the replaced me with got paid what i was asking for and he had no experence. bbv sucks!
Old 11-18-04, 11:40 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 769
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say go for it but you know I have ulterior motives for you to take this job and not shove it
Old 11-19-04, 12:48 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,790
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you take the job, just make sure that you give us the heads up on upcoming deals
Old 11-19-04, 09:38 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Portland
Posts: 8,324
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just because a company as a whole does not have a good reputation for good customer service, that doesn't mean that you as an employee should not give good customer service. As an Ass. Mgr. you would have the influence necessary to make the changes at your store. Why not live the dream and turn at least one store into an oasis for customers?

It's a job, if you need it take it; if not then don't.
Old 11-19-04, 10:44 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Part of the Left-Wing Conspiracy
Posts: 6,927
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, look at my site in my sig. You can chat with lots of employees on there. They actually tell new employees about my site in many meetings they have.

When I started it, I had no clue it would be over run with about 80% employees.

-Chris
Old 11-21-04, 06:30 PM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 179
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pride is great, but it doesn't pay the rent.

If you need a job, take it.
Old 11-23-04, 11:36 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 21,672
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally posted by Crazy_Roper
Pride is great, but it doesn't pay the rent.

If you need a job, take it.
Unfortunately, Crazy_Roper's argument is winning . . .
Old 11-23-04, 11:37 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 21,672
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally posted by Chrisedge
Well, look at my site in my sig. You can chat with lots of employees on there. They actually tell new employees about my site in many meetings they have.

When I started it, I had no clue it would be over run with about 80% employees.

-Chris
Chris, thanks! I'm actually registering on your site now to carry on a more in-depth discussion. Looking forward to the insight.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.