Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Good online places to buy and sell things...other than eBay?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-04-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, first I started this thread in the other forum, which I think is a good place for it. But then I realized...duh....I should try the store forum, those people buy and sell stuff online all the time.

So, what are some good online places to buy and sell your items? I know eBay and Amazon...Any others? Thank you very much for the input.
Old 11-05-04, 03:26 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
www.ebay.uk ? www.amazon.uk ?
Old 11-05-04, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since being blacklisted by Ebay for daring to exercise my Federally-protected consumer rights viz my credit card . . . I also have been looking for options other than Fleabay. I just registered with Overstock's online auctions although I haven't yet listed any items, but they seem friendly and I'd be interested to hear how others fare with them:

http://www.auctions.overstock.com

PEACH
Old 11-05-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by MISS PEACH
Since being blacklisted by Ebay for daring to exercise my Federally-protected consumer rights viz my credit card . . .
They have the right to not accept business from you too.
Old 11-05-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Half.com
Old 11-06-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

www.alibris.com
Old 11-07-04, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by Jeremy517
They have the right to not accept business from you too.
Oh I willingly will not subrogate my consumer rights to Ebay in any event, so I believe we're both satisfied. It's nice to see other merchants giving their auction monopoly competition, and I'm favorably impressed (thus far) with Overstock's model. Haven't entirely figured it out yet, but then I'm in no burning hurry either.

PEACH
Old 11-07-04, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 382 Likes on 271 Posts
Originally posted by MISS PEACH
Since being blacklisted by Ebay for daring to exercise my Federally-protected consumer rights viz my credit card
What was the situation?

Hey, as long as you didn't do a chargeback in under two weeks, and didn't do it on an 'as-is' auction, it's probably cool with me. But, the fact of the matter is that buyers on eBay are generally morons. Buyers always think that they're getting everything for nothing. You MUST realize: eBay merchants are mainly overstock and liquidation centers. They sell store returns, and stuff like that. And that's why stuff is generally 1/3 of retail. And it's usually no different than buying from a garage sale or regular auction. You can't go back and say "well, this didn't work on this, I want a refund".

And many just don't understand how anything works. I've actually had customers who call PAYPAL and/or EBAY asking for ME! I've had people accuse ME of taking their credit card information, and processing it (even though they just paid through PayPal). I've had people spaz out over a phone that they didn't get in FIVE DAYS. I say "e-mail me for available if you order is urgent. Orders can take up to a week to ship". They buy it, and get mad when it's not in stock.

I've tried selling many different places. The only other sucessful place, for me, is Amazon. But I've only been sucessful with my brand-new stuff.
Old 11-08-04, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by troystiffler
What was the situation?
A hardcover book, advertised "AS NEW" and shipped in a box, had its rear board folded like a tent, it came.

I demanded Seller send me the postage to return the book this, after also demanding all of my money back from Half.com, including the shipping charges.

No, Half.com wouldn't do it: Pay out of your own pocket to ship back this 2 lb. hardcover, and then you'll get only the money you paid for it, shipped, refunded.

I offered to take a photograph of the book and send it to them. But no. They are there to protect the Seller only, and don't give diddley for legitimate Buyers, like myself.

Never have I had a book so shamelessly misrepresented. This one took the cake, let me tell you. My library wouldn't even take it as a donation, and it makes me mad thinking about it even this many years later.

PEACH
Old 11-08-04, 02:46 PM
Cool New Member

www.sell.com