Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

20% off DDD Coupon, Are we taking it for granted?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-04, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed a lot of posts I was going through about people holding off on buying certain dvds because they were waiting for the 20% off offer from DDD. Don't you think that is taking it for granted? I would love to see it happen again but with the recent non-deal of 5% off Criterions I'm a bit skeptic this deal will happen again. What do you think?
Old 10-12-04, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a bit skeptical of the "it has to be the same time as last year!" mentality, but I think there'll be another.

IMO, if the people waiting for these boxsets wanted them so much in the first place they'd already have them. I couldn't see waiting months upon months for the *chance* of saving an additional 20% for something I really wanted.

That said I hope La Femme Nikita season 2 is out before the next sale. Couldn't see spending $75 on season one's box, but at $60 it became much more reasonable.
Old 10-13-04, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I think so. Reading the "ought to just wait for the 20% off sale" is as annoying as the "CH is the cheapest" posts in the bargains thread.
Old 10-13-04, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope it happens, bt I'm not designing my DVD shopping based on a possible sale.

If it happens, trust me - I'll have no problem finding lots of titles from my wish list to buy.
Old 10-13-04, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

silly to wait for it .. i hope it doesn't happen so i see alot of people bitching and moaning about how they waited for something that they thought would happen but didn't .. lol
Old 10-13-04, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by fumanstan
I think so. Reading the "ought to just wait for the 20% off sale" is as annoying as the "CH is the cheapest" posts in the bargains thread.

Yep, definitely getting sick of reading that. And agreed that if they were things people really wanted, they'd already have them. I secretly hope the 20% sale doesn't happen
Old 10-13-04, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I know they ran it last year, but did they run it the year before that?
Old 10-13-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I've been holding off a bit on R1 purchases waiting for the next DDD 20% discount. Even if it doesn't happen in November I have no doubt there will eventually be a sale before I make it through my backlog of unwatched DVDs.

Originally posted by Big Worms
I know they ran it last year, but did they run it the year before that?
No.
Old 10-13-04, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Than yeah that is a big assumption that they are going to run it again here soon. Personally I am not holding off and waiting for a sale. It would be nice.
Old 10-13-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by fumanstan
OK, I admit it, I'm one of the ones who used to post CH is the cheapest, and if it is really as annoying as "ought to just wait for the 20% off sale" I'm really sorry, because the 20% crap is really annoying (especially when they add the time this supposed sale is happening).

If it doesn't happen, it'll be sort of fun to see the rabid, irrational anger that results.
Old 10-13-04, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm waiting for either a huge Criterion Sale or the 20% sale, all the other DVDs I want I can get through CH.
Old 10-13-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We totally take it for granted. although I have to admit that I'm also holding off buying a bunch of boxsets in hopes of the sale.
Old 10-13-04, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After the security problems they had this weekend, I think many of us have gone from "hoping" for another 20% off DDD coupon to "expecting."

Last edited by RevKarl; 10-13-04 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-13-04, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,467 Likes on 933 Posts
Wasn't the last 20% off sale the result of a mistake? I don't expect to see another one soon.
Old 10-14-04, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Nick Danger
Wasn't the last 20% off sale the result of a mistake? I don't expect to see another one soon.

I don't believe that the last 20% off sale was a mistake - I think that the "mistake" is that some info leaked out a week early and people started placing orders before the sale was officially announced.
Old 10-14-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally posted by marty888
I don't believe that the last 20% off sale was a mistake - I think that the "mistake" is that some info leaked out a week early and people started placing orders before the sale was officially announced.
Even more precisely, they were testing the site prior to the sale but by mistake it was accessible from the outside world, so people got a whole bunch of pre-sales and other items not normally part of the 20% off sale ordered before DDD abruptly pulled it. I think the Star Wars OT was a big item. But to DDDs credit they honored all those that got in. Then a few weeks(?) later they had the official sale.
Old 10-14-04, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by Bill Needle
Even more precisely, they were testing the site prior to the sale but by mistake it was accessible from the outside world ...
That's why they should have a live site and a test site. They shouldn't be running test on the live site.
Old 10-14-04, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There is stuff I really want and other stuff I want, and some stuff I can just wait for. For the stuff I can wait for, what is wrong waiting for a sale? Whether it be a 20% online sale or waiting to see if it hits the bargain shelves at Target? Why would that be taking it for granted? And how many of you throwing stones now were the first in on the amazing deals in the early days of DVD at places like reel.com? Spare me the judgments.
Old 10-14-04, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by calhoun07
There is stuff I really want and other stuff I want, and some stuff I can just wait for. For the stuff I can wait for, what is wrong waiting for a sale? Whether it be a 20% online sale or waiting to see if it hits the bargain shelves at Target? Why would that be taking it for granted? And how many of you throwing stones now were the first in on the amazing deals in the early days of DVD at places like reel.com? Spare me the judgments.
Whose judging you? It's not that there's anything wrong with waiting for items to go on sale... that's a natural thing to do. I think the original poster's point was that people there are more then a few people getting too caught up in anticipating that this *particular* deal is automatically going to happen again at the same time it did last year, so much so that it gets mentioned in a lot of bargain threads.

It would be like people posting in every FOX TV Box set saying "i'll just wait until Amazon has a 14.99 Season Two sale."
Old 10-15-04, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't you think that is taking it for granted?
Reads like a judgmental comment to me. And others calling people who want to use the sale as "annoying" don't help the overall tone either. But at least we agree there is nothing wrong with waiting for the sale, but if it bothers some people, then why do they choose to read the threads about it, or feel they have to comment on it in a negative way?
Old 10-15-04, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't take it for granted. Last time around I ordered Fleetwood Mac Live In Boston with the 20% discount and a few days later got an email from them telling me the order was cancelled due to DDD no longer selling the title. I go to their website and guess what? There it was, still up for sale....at that point the sale was over and I didn't feel the need to argue with them over that 20 percent I was cheated out of saving....I just bought it elsewhere. Yes, I could have protested and probably would have been given some satisfactory ending, but it took forever just to PLACE the order while the sale was on with their site being besieged by buyers like us, and the bottom line is, they screwed up and I shouldn't have to haggle over their mistakes. I have been a very staunch supporter, both buying and recommending them to others. Having been a longtime fan of DDD this has jaded me somewhat towards them as a whole. I still think they have the best prices around for everyday purchase and their free shipping can't be beat, but from now on I could care less about their 'sales'.

Last edited by nightmaster; 10-15-04 at 12:51 AM.
Old 10-15-04, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Reads like a judgmental comment to me. And others calling people who want to use the sale as "annoying" don't help the overall tone either. But at least we agree there is nothing wrong with waiting for the sale, but if it bothers some people, then why do they choose to read the threads about it, or feel they have to comment on it in a negative way?
I don't consider that comment passing judgement on anyone, especially in a negative manner. Regardless, what do you mean "choose to read the threads about it?" There really haven't been any specific threads created to discuss the potential of a 20% DDD Coupon. It's the consistant mentioning of it in other bargain threads that, like i said, can be as pointless as bringing up Columbia House all the time.
Old 10-15-04, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey, while we're talking annoyances, how about the people that call the Best Buy Madden Coupon a bargain in just about every thread?

But it is pretty funny that so many people assume that DDD is going to do the Christmas deal again this year.
Old 10-15-04, 11:23 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
I don't take it for granted.

I use them every time they come up.
Old 10-15-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Aren't you guilty of just the thing you are complaining about? From the title of this thread, it's pretty clear you're going to have some people complaining about this.

Here's what's annoying. Lately, people post a good deal, and someone comes into the thread and says something like "No thanks, I'll buy it when DDD has it's 20% off sale at the end of November" thereby crapping in the deal based on an assumption that may or may not be true.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.