Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

WARNING: Your DDD Details Are Not Safe! (merged)

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

WARNING: Your DDD Details Are Not Safe! (merged)

Old 10-09-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Placed an order early yesterday, but logged out afterwards. Didn't read these messages until today, so I will check out my account once it is back up.

Thanks for the heads up. Definately will still use them, as these things happen.
Old 10-09-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've spent about five grand with them in the last year.

But I'm not logging in now to check my account, no way....

If memory serves me correctly, the email is [email protected], correct?
Old 10-09-04, 11:00 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by pcdoctor
This is going to sound crazy but maybe we can demand some sort of discount because of this.
Like a free $10 or $5 coupon for existing customers for this hassle.
Oh no, for this little breech of security, it'll take QUITE a bit more to get me to trust them again. 5 bucks off is NOT getting them off the hook for identity theft and me having to replace my credit card (and all the hassle that entails).

For a benchmark, when time/life did something similar after I posted the Muppet Show set deal, they gave me the whole order (two sets) for free!
Old 10-09-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got an order confirmation (the second email they send out) from them for an order I placed about an hour ago.
Old 10-09-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts
Originally posted by reservoirdog
If memory serves me correctly, the email is [email protected], correct?
Yes, I believe that is correct.
Old 10-09-04, 11:44 AM

DDD security breach

I got a call this morning from AMEX checking charges made to my account which were excessive. Had to cancel my card with them due to fradulent charges. Then I saw the posts from others regarding DDD's problem. My card had been charged 9/23 for an order I had placed. Just spoke to DDD Customer Service regarding this problem. They are aware of the problem, however not offering any solutions. Am going to call their number (800) 264-5076 in about 2 hours (2:45 DST) to speak to a supervisor. Will post any information I get after the phone call.
Old 10-09-04, 11:51 AM

If anyone sees my account, please order the Kite (uncut version). It was on backorder last time I checked.
Old 10-09-04, 11:52 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Wow. People buy a ton of crap DVDs...
Old 10-09-04, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just sent them the following email. Only the part about the credit card is true. In actuality, I'll probably be without a card until the 22nd. As a college student, I had to have it sent to my permanent address, and, due to the bank holiday, she said it probably wouldn't be there until the 18th.

Now that I think about it, I really may never go back to DDD.

I have been informed that my account has been breached, on no less than three occasions, in the past 24 hours.

As a result, I have cancelled my credit card. Due to the long bank weekend, I will most likely be without the use of a credit card for 10 days.

Needless to say, it is highly doubtful that I will be purchasing from your website again. You could have a 40% off sale, and the chances are slim that I would bite. If you check my account, you will find that I have been, over the years, a fairly big user. It is with great regret that I will be spending more by placing orders at competitors stores in the future.

When the site is back up, I will be logging in one last time to print out my wishlist.

It was fun while it lasted, but a review of several internet forums (DVDTalk, HomeTheaterForum) reveals that confidence in the security of DDD has been shattered, perhaps irreparably. I'll be sorry to see you go.
Old 10-09-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 360 Posts
Without attempting to actually log in, I tried to go to the site using the login URL posted somewhere above (and the regular bookmark I have for the page) - I'm getting a maintenance screen, so perhaps they're now aware of the problem? This shit scares me. -grunt-
Old 10-09-04, 12:02 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
In your account listings DDD does not display the entire credit card #. Why do people want to cancel their CCs if there have been no orders placed on them?

Even if there were orders placed on your account, it doesn't mean anyone had access to your numbers, so your card is still safe.
Old 10-09-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll still maintain confidence in DDD. MOre websites have glitches than you know of. Had it not been for forums like these, chances are the glitch would have been noticed and fixed before we knew what happened.

FYI, when I kept getting other peoples accounts I noted a couple of things. First, there did not appear a way to get someones credit card number. Second it was not possible to change shipping addresses. Third, the only real problem was that someone else could see what DVD's I ordered. Okay, perhaps some would want that confidential but I care not.

What counts most (to me) now is what they do to rectify the problem.

Last edited by kayak99; 10-09-04 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-09-04, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by kayak99
What counts most (to me) now is what they do to rectify the problem.
Since this is at least the third time this has happened in as many years I would expect the same result as before - nothing permanent. There's always someone who wants to tell everyone that DDD's security screw ups are no reason to take our business elsewhere. The question is how many chances do they get?
Old 10-09-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow this thread really took off since last night. Hopefully I got to my account before any damage could be done but it appears DDD is aware of the problem since the site is now down. I wonder if someone from DDD will explain what happened and offer an apology for the breach of personal information on their site. I only had one open order but don't know if I will place anymore until they can assure me this will not happen again.
Old 10-09-04, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,820 Likes on 1,939 Posts
Christ, I'm away from DVDTalk for a day and the shit hits the fan.

I don't think I've actually visited either DeepDiscount site for a couple of days, so I should be safe. The last time I placed an order was about a week ago, and the sites rarely keep me logged in.
Old 10-09-04, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not happy about this, but just to reiterate what Eric just said -- NO CREDIT CARD NUMBERS WERE REVEALED!

Of course, the fact that all your other personal information was revealed is pretty bad, but it could have been a whole lot worse.
Old 10-09-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I took a look at the site last night and wasn't getting anyone else's account to come up.

Hopefully, we'll hear something from them (the management of DDD) this weekend and not have to wait till Monday when they go back to work. This better be important enough that people are coming in on the weekend to figure out what went wrong and what the response to us, the consumer should be.
Old 10-09-04, 12:45 PM

although no credit card numbers were revealed by default, we don't know if there were other means to see them once logged in. perhaps by editing the url or some other trick (packet sniffing)? that's what worries me.

plus anyone's account could be hijacked by changing the email and password. maybe they could even change the shipping address to theirs and then have the orders sent to them, but charged to you.
Old 10-09-04, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by seymouru
I'm not happy about this, but just to reiterate what Eric just said -- NO CREDIT CARD NUMBERS WERE REVEALED!

Of course, the fact that all your other personal information was revealed is pretty bad, but it could have been a whole lot worse.
While it might be true no one had their credit card information revealed. It doesn't necessarily mean your account was safe from others to use accidently or on purpose. That alone is a big reason to be concerned.
Old 10-09-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 175 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally posted by gilly
If anyone sees my account, please order the Kite (uncut version). It was on backorder last time I checked.
LOL!

But seriously, I just used the link at the top of the DVDTalk homepage and the site is back up. And I got someone else's info. I changed their info to bill me, and logged out of their account.

So if they think they fixed the problem, they did NOT!
Old 10-09-04, 01:08 PM

Sites back up, but it's still showing someone elses account. Shows bill me later & other info removed, but I bet this person just logged in to change it. Looks like folks in the other thread were right about not logging in. Would have thougt DDD would have fixed this by now. Funny thing is url says:

https://secure.deepdiscountdvd.com/xxxxxxx

Not too secure IMHO.
Old 10-09-04, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
I look forward to a "We're sorry coupon" for this. C'mon 20%.
Old 10-09-04, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I tried but can only get my own information. I don't know why they would put the site back up if it isn't fixed.
Old 10-09-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So what are people to do if they've logged in within the last day?
Old 10-09-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 175 Likes on 139 Posts
Another problem is that because accounts like mine suddenly started showing up on other people's PC screens in the wee hours this morning after I logged in to delete my billing info, how can you know when it is safe to go in and check your account? Doing so may open you back up to fraud if it still isn't fixed. It may be worthwhile to do in order to delete your CC info, but after that, I'd rather not unlock it again until I know it's been fixed. That might be a while.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.