Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Startling News: WalMart is Run By Morons!

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 09-11-04, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at WalMart today, and I was hit like a bat in the face at the stupidity of both WalMart's management and what they consider to be their core customer.

This WalMart recently updated their electronics department, and had a new display for their HDTVs. I noticed a sign on the side of the display. What caught my eye was it had a graphic demonstrating the advantage of having a wide picture.

I then read the sign which said: "Reasons to Buy HDTV." The first reason on their list was superior sound. Not picture, sound!! So they want their customers to drop a couple g's for a tv to get better sound??!! How about touting the better picture? Maybe, just maybe, people would be looking for a good picture out of a TV.

Morons!
Old 09-11-04, 11:12 AM

Morons!

My local WalMart just moved the new release and boxed set dvd's from inside the electronics dept to the busy hallway in front of it. It's now impossible to browse without being run down by shopping carts.

Morons!
Old 09-12-04, 01:38 PM

Its all about low prices. Got 3 Atlantic Elf 120 dvd racks for 18.88 each. They were put in the wrong place on the shelf. Ask a really nice worker who walked by when we were looking at them, she assured me they were 18.88. I said I will take 3. Took to electronic check out where they rang up 29.86 each. She called in a supervisor who went ahead and let us all three of them for 18.88 each. This same racks is 49.99 each at storeyourmedia.com. Use them to your advantage. Their mistakes can be our gain.
Old 09-12-04, 06:43 PM

I stay out of Walmart as a rule.
Old 09-12-04, 07:34 PM

I stay out of Walmart as a rule.
Quoted for truth.
Old 09-12-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Startling News: WalMart is Run By Morons!

Originally posted by Qui Gon Jim
Maybe, just maybe, people would be looking for a good picture out of a TV.
True - and of course in any good home theatre system, you're not using your TV speakers anyway.

But it's actually a valid point, for the following reason: The HDTV protocol includes upgraded sound (even 5.1, iirc), which you just don't get from any lesser TV broadcast. And though you might be able to tap into the sound feed even without a TV that can display it, that's completely pointless.

So, yes, "better sound" is a primary advantage of HDTV. Shouldn't have been listed first, of course - but I've read and heard far dumber things from techno-imbecile salesmen before.

- David Stein
Old 09-21-04, 12:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
what and this is new news.. Walmarts are really ratty places to begin with.