Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon free shipping is a racket...

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon free shipping is a racket...

Old 10-15-04, 12:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by bluesparrow
If it doesn't ship in 24 hours for EVERYONE, then don't lie and say it does.
I would suggest looking at number 4...

How do I take advantage of FREE Super Saver Shipping?

1. Place over $25 of eligible Amazon.com products in your Shopping Cart.*
(Eligible items are indicated as such on their product detail pages.)

2. Proceed to checkout.

3. Ship your items to a single U.S. address.

4. Select Super Saver Shipping as your shipping speed. Please note that your order will take an additional 3 to 5 days to ship.

5. Select "Group my items into as few shipments as possible" as your shipping preference.

6. Place your order, and enjoy the free shipping!

To say you are unhappy with Amazon's free shipping or you prefer the shipping of another online retailer is one thing but to call it a scam is just stupid.
Old 10-15-04, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by jaelliot
4. Select Super Saver Shipping as your shipping speed. Please note that your order will take an additional 3 to 5 days to ship.

Fine, then put that where it says "ships in 24 hours,". Linking to the list doesn't count, imo. If there was no intent to deceive it'd be far more apparant.

Last edited by bluesparrow; 10-15-04 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-15-04, 04:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Fine, then put that where it says "ships in 24 hours,". Linking to the list doesn't count, imo. If there was no intent to deceive it'd be far more apparant.
Right, let's put every bit of fine print and information on a website so people that can't take the time to click a link can now complain that the webpage is too convoluted to find any information.

I would think the fact that Amazon puts "eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. See details." would be enough to peak the curiosity of some wanting to take advantage of the free shipping. At the very least it would protect them from cries of scam!

I wonder what the purpose of their deception is? Why would they want to encourage people to use free shipping, when they make more money when people use other methods?
Old 10-15-04, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by jaelliot
Right, let's put every bit of fine print and information on a website so people that can't take the time to click a link can now complain that the webpage is too convoluted to find any information.
Or how about just not putting conflicting information? If it doesn't ship in 24 hours, don't say it does. Hell, just say it *MAY* ship in 24 hours. Or say it ships within 1-6 days. You know, give an accurate estimate. Honesty, wow, real tough.

They don't because (falsely) saying it will ship within 24 hours will make it more likely the customer will buy it from them.

As for "not taking the time to click a link" do you really expect people to click every single link on a page filled with them? Especially a vaguely titled one... "see details"...why not call it "Limitations" or "Conditions" something more urgent, that won't be easily passed over by the eye? Oh right, because then more people would click it and find out the dvd they're looking at won't really ship in 24 hours.

Intentionally giving a false impression that it will ship within 24 hours, no matter the shipping option, is dishonest. Hence scam.

I wonder what the purpose of their deception is? Why would they want to encourage people to use free shipping, when they make more money when people use other methods?
The whole point is that they're going out of their way to discourage free shipping. Tacking on an arbitrary added delay ( I describe it as such because there was none before recently, and the same items have different shipping dates depending on how much you spend on shipping) automatically choosing the non free option at check out.

They trumpet the free shipping to get you to the checkout page, and once there you see it'll take a week longer than they said on the product page. So you click the next option. Bait and switch. That is the scam.
Old 10-15-04, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
The website says "usually ships in blah blah blah."

It's neither bait and switch nor a scam. It's a choice. And the cool thing is, if you go with free shipping, they often ship more quickly than they say they will.
Old 10-16-04, 12:09 AM

I agree with Tasha 100%.

Nowhere on the Amazon site does it state any item will ship definitely in 24 hours. The word "usually" is always used. So, it may, or may not, ship that quickly.

Some people *actually* consider this a "scam" of some ilk?? How ludicrous.

Amazon is by far the best on-line store EVER! (IMO, that is.)

Quick service; excellent return policy; huge selection; great user-friendly website. Great place to e-shop.

I hate seeing them bashed for silly (and unfair) reasons.

They'll actually GIVE you money on occasion when you return an item that was bought with their Free Shipping option. For some odd reason, they'll actually REFUND the $0.99 per item S&H charge on returned items, even though you never paid a dime for any Shipping, and also never paid a dime to have it shipped back to them. Odd. That's obviously a minor glitch in their system. But it's doubtful anybody will complain about an error like that one.

Amazon Is #1 In My Book!

Last edited by davidvp; 10-16-04 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-16-04, 01:02 AM

Do you guys own stock or what?

Anyway, perhaps I did use the term 'scam' a bit too freely. But these tactics still leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Last edited by bluesparrow; 10-16-04 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-16-04, 07:32 AM

Everytime I have used the Amazon Free SHipping option, I have received my order in 2 to 3 days.

Can't really ask for more than that.
Old 10-16-04, 09:39 AM

Re: Amazon free shipping is a racket...

Originally posted by moorehed
it used to actually be legit... that was some time ago. now they tempt you with free shipping, then automatically select the non free shipping that will arive in a normal time.

if you want free shipping you have to choose it, and then see that free shipping for some reason takes 5-9 days... in my expereience it normally takes longer, even tho it only ships from one state away.

it seems they purposely hold those orders for a few days before shipping them just to make you not want to actually utilize the free shipping... it sucks having to wait 2 weeks for a book just because I wanted to take advantage of the free shipping, and they want me to suffer.
A Racket!. How is it a racket?. If you select the free shipping option, do you get charged a shipping fee?. Do they not indicate during your ordering procedures, that the free shipping option will result in a slower delivery than their paided expedited options?. I always use the Free Shipping Option, and I have never been under an illusion that my order would be expedited. They show clearly on the order what the projected shipping date will be. They promise free shipping, not free expedited shipping. I still do not see how this is considered Racketeering!.

NetResults
Old 10-16-04, 04:32 PM

Re: Re: Amazon free shipping is a racket...

Originally posted by netresults
I still do not see how this is considered Racketeering!.
Jeff Bezos threatened my family if I didn't choose the paid shipping.

Really.

Okay, not really.
Old 10-17-04, 09:33 AM

Re: Re: Re: Amazon free shipping is a racket...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bluesparrow
[B]Jeff Bezos threatened my family if I didn't choose the paid shipping.

Really.

Well that is just making you an offer you can not refuse. All that prooves is that Jeff Bezos, like W., shares your family values.

NetResults

Last edited by netresults; 10-17-04 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-17-04, 09:06 PM

I admit, I'm just still pissed I never got that Braveheart dvd Bezos promised me years ago in a mass email for supporting the amazon.com dvd section from it's start.

MAKE WITH MY FREE DVD BEZOS!
Old 10-18-04, 10:46 AM

I admit, I'm just still pissed I never got that Braveheart dvd Bezos promised me years ago in a mass email for supporting the amazon.com dvd section from it's start.

MAKE WITH MY FREE DVD BEZOS!
Another fine example of Mr.Bezos looking out for you. He decided that Braveheart was far too violent to be viewed by your family. He would make a wonderful family values president.

NetResults
Old 10-18-04, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by davidvp
Amazon is a fabulous e-store...always has been.
Was a fabulous bookstore; now Jack-of-all-Trades, Master of None. Remember when we used to get coupons? Remember when they used to have a book selection that could compete with Barnes & Noble? Oh how I wish they'd spin off the kitchen shit (and yes, that does include everything else not-a-book, aka the kitchen sink heh) and let their original book store model be resurrected if not by Amazon then by someone else for pity's sake.

Not to change the subject but has anyone ordered from The Strand online? OMG what great prices! I happened on them while doing a book price search at Addall and was astounded to see my $25.00 list hardcover (just published two months ago) for 50% off! Even with a modest shipping charge, this store just blew me away! Apparently it's New York's biggest book store.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread here. But it's great to see other readers in this forum!

PEACH
Old 10-18-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MISS PEACH
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread here. But it's great to see other readers in this forum!

PEACH
*points to dvdtalk book forum*
Old 10-18-04, 05:49 PM

[Amazon] Was a fabulous bookstore; now Jack-of-all-Trades, Master of None.
I respect MISS P.'s opinion. But, in this particular Amazon instance, I just don't happen to concur with it. Amazon is the master, IMHO.

Remember when we used to get coupons? Remember when they used to have a book selection that could compete with Barnes & Noble?
Nope. Sure don't. And couldn't care less about a huge book selection (but that's probably just me). But their current selection of over 3-Million book titles surely is nothing to scoff at. (Good gravy, how many titles do ya need?? I, myself, find that I simply cannot read more than 1.7-million books in any given six-month timespan. So Amazon's three million is normally ample for me.) *wise-ass smiley*

Are we to believe *this* claim on the Amazon site is incorrect/misleading/an utter falsehood?? ............

I never used them prior to August 1999. Never knew they had an ongoing "coupon" program for every Tom, Dick, & Harry who stopped by to shop. While, yes, that type of dealie would indeed be great -- I still consider The Big A the best on-line experience going today (all things considered -- from pre-order pricing, to returns, to overall service, to website functionality).

Plus -- they've added this "A9.com" discount for just doing nothing but using A9/Google. Saving you 1.57% on everything. Not a mountainous savings -- but better than nothing; and a bonus I never knew was there until ordering recently.

And ALWAYS Free Shipping (with qualifying $25 order) is nice too. They didn't used to always have the FREE option. The Free offer would come & go like the wind in past years.

Last edited by davidvp; 10-18-04 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-18-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts
I didn't get my freebie either, but the original notification mentioned an e-mail queue called [email protected]. I wrote to that and they sent me one. I guess most people also got a thank-you letter from Bezos, but I didn't really need that anyway.
Old 10-23-04, 06:57 PM

I made two orders this week on Monday. One shipped out by UPS Thursday morning and the other shipped out by USPS on Thursday afternoon. I received the USPS package today but the UPS package isn't scheduled to be delivered until the 27th.

USPS always takes 2-3 days and UPS always takes a minimum of 7 days.

Does anybody know how to get Amazon not to ship by UPS?
Old 10-24-04, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by davidvp
David Honey (oh, and yes Pilot, I do know about the book forum) David:

Amazon so consistently does not have the hardcover titles I am looking for that it has been years since I ordered from them. "Earth's Biggest Bookstore" pshaw! They're obviously referring to the square footage of their warehouse because they're most definitely not referring to their books!! No honey they've been edged out to make room for the chainsaws and spatulas and patio chairs. "Biggest" bookstore, perhaps. Just not filled with books.

Barnes & Noble has the largest selection of hardcover books that I have seen anywhere. I wouldn't make that claim unless I had proof positive in the purchases I make under the endowment I am leaving my small town to build a new library when I have, alas, paid out my mortal coil.

Now David, if you only buy paperbacks, I doubt you'd see a difference. No wait I take that back. A few years ago I was looking for some older Dragonlance titles (available only in paperback) which Amazon did not have but (once again) B&N did.

But I tell you what David: Let's not send Pilot into a nosedive by continuing this OT here; I'll meet you in the Books forum and we can continue the debate there if you wish. I have so many hardcover titles that are not available at Amazon it would simply blow your mind. Well over 500 that I personally know of.

PEACH-the-avid-READER
Old 10-29-04, 04:01 PM

As long as you are not in a hurry in getting the item, then FS is fine
Old 01-24-05, 10:25 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I placed 2 orders with free shipping on Friday and they arrived today. That's fast!