DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Sellers: is it just me or is business lacking on Half.com? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/383016-sellers-just-me-business-lacking-half-com.html)

SFranke 08-31-04 12:23 PM

Sellers: is it just me or is business lacking on Half.com?

As a Half.com and Amazon.com seller, I've noticed in the past few months a significant downturn my sales. I've figured that folks just aren't going on the internet to buy things during the summer months. At what time do you expect the customers to return? I'm thinking of liquidating my stock on eBay, but I'm not so sure the market there is any better. What do you think?

tonyc3742 08-31-04 12:31 PM

I'm not a huge mover anyway, but I have noticed a slight drop.
Since Half.com is scheduled to close down in October, why not justleave your stuff there until it closes? Unless you depend on it for income; I'm just a 'sell some stuff I don't want anymore' seller.
In summer the weather's nicer, people are more apt to go the stores directly for stuff, or do stuff outside, sothey might not shop as much online.

Laser Movies 08-31-04 02:23 PM

Yes I noticed the drop at Half.com. I did get 2 sales this week but I have had some things listed for months that are not selling, even though they are the cheapest listing. I noticed there are quite a few sellers that appear to be selling bootlegs which I imagine doesn't help the situation. Also I wonder if DVD burners are starting to cut into sales of DVDs. I'm sure some people are copying DVDs instead of purchasing new or used.

SFranke 08-31-04 05:06 PM

Originally posted by LASERMOVIES
I'm sure some people are copying DVDs instead of purchasing new or used.
That is the truth. My roommate and a seemingly very responsible and ethical guy I work with both burn movies like mad [I was relatively unaware of the "rent/borrow/checkout, burn, return" phenomenon]. Luckily, they're burning stuff like Torque: Full Screen Edition, so I don't have to worry about either of them "borrowing" something of mine.

schbee 08-31-04 07:11 PM

I also sell off DVDs on Half.com and have noticed sales slipping eventhough I am the cheapest on most. Some titles it boggles my mind that not a single person wants a used DVD of some of my titles.

I also think its tough because Walmarts 5.50 bin and I guess more people using online rental places has to cut down into cheap ownership of a movie

Laser Movies 09-01-04 02:38 PM

Maybe I spoke a little too soon about the slow down. I had 2 more DVDs sell in less than 24 hours. Now sold 4 this week, and still have 16 more listed. Hopefully most of them will sell before they close the site down.

Jeremy517 09-01-04 08:06 PM

Things seem slow for me also. Hopefully I can sell most of this before half goes away, but it isn't looking too likely.

Shap 09-02-04 12:15 PM

I think it's because a lot of people think it's closed. Some of my "online" friends thought Half closed down earlier this year as originally intended. They are surprised when I inform them they are still open.

Also, I imagine there's NO advertising for Half anymore. And while attempting to buy something, there's a strong push to buy it on eBay instead.

Laser Movies 09-02-04 01:59 PM

Re: Sellers: is it just me or is business lacking on Half.com?

Originally posted by evitagen
As a Half.com and Amazon.com seller,
Forgot to ask but are the sales at Amazon any better? Your thread title only mentions Half but the tone of your post seems to indicate sales in general are slow everywhere.

RevKarl 09-02-04 02:17 PM

Originally posted by Shap
I think it's because a lot of people think it's closed. Some of my "online" friends thought Half closed down earlier this year as originally intended. They are surprised when I inform them they are still open.

Also, I imagine there's NO advertising for Half anymore. And while attempting to buy something, there's a strong push to buy it on eBay instead.

I can confirm that! I keep getting emails from eBay to my old Half.com address offering me discounts to buy something on eBay using PayPal...and there is never any mention in these emails that Half.com still exists!

dvdirv 09-02-04 11:20 PM

I, too, sell at both places.

I have recently noticed that when I take items off Half.com's sell listing and move them over to Amazon, they seem to sell and much faster, too.

I'm not sure just what the connection is, but I am reluctant to sell on Half.com these days to the lack of sales momentum. :confused:

tonyc3742 09-03-04 12:30 PM

Amazon probably gets more visitors, it has always had bigger name recognition....They also have higher fees for selling :(

POWERBOMB 09-03-04 08:19 PM

Half hasn't updated their site for the new shipping prices for vhs tapes. It costs me more to sell a tape and ship than the tape is worth. Sadly, vhs is the only thing selling for me on Half even thought I have marked down most all my product.